2013-2014 Lake Grapevine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree ! Better chance for the Kids !

[eQUOTE=Larry;7100013]What's the big deal? Sounds like they are making a solid attempt at recognizing the need to get kids out there. All this really means is kids 16 and under don't have to enter the draw to hunt the entire first month. If they want to hunt, they get a permit...and that permit gives them the entire month of October instead of a weekend or ten days. It's even better if dad gets drawn and can hunt with his kid instead of just accompanying him/her. They aren't taking away October from the main group of permitted hunters.

Win win.
    [/QUOTE]

Comment

The past four yrs I have got the kids permit and I have only had the deer permit once. This year I think will be the year the boy will get his first deer or pig with a bow. Im very excited for him to get this opportunity cause we don't have a deer lease anymore. We have put in our time of scouting and hard work out there and cant wait to see the SMILE on his face when he tags his first deer or smashes his first piggy !

Comment

Originally posted by THETEXAN View Post
        The past four yrs I have got the kids permit and I have only had the deer permit once. This year I think will be the year the boy will get his first deer or pig with a bow. Im very excited for him to get this opportunity cause we don't have a deer lease anymore. We have put in our time of scouting and hard work out there and cant wait to see the SMILE on his face when he tags his first deer or smashes his first piggy !
        I hope your son gets one. Most likely I will be teaching my boys that it isn't all about getting the animal. It is about the hunt. I have scouted about half of the hunting land and hunted several different locations. I just don't see the deer when I am in the stand. I see them when I am going to and from the stand. The good places I have found have a tree stand or ground blind at every tree. We will be hunting from a popup or a brush blind because one of them is afraid of heights.

Comment

Originally posted by K86 View Post
          Also, there must have been some crazy winds from the batch of storms we had! This big tree didn't make it. The pictures don't do it justice, but I couldn't fit my arms all the way around the trunk.
          Nice place for a ground blind.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
            I picked up my kids their Youth permits this past Friday. I asked about the month long season and she told me that the youth only will be the first two weeks and then the second two weeks will be both youth and permitted hunters. The reason that they have a youth season is because a youth can hunt with a permitted adult, but if you don't get drawn your child won't hunt either.

My boys went with me to get the permits. All weekend my 9 year old was walking around saying "I am going to shoot a deer". He is pumped. Neither of them have ever taken a deer.

I screwed up and forgot to mail my survey in, so it is 100% kids for me this year. Not that it matters much. I only saw 1 deer from my stand last year.
            Once I figured out that adults werent kicked out till rifle season, I was cool with their new longer season. I am wondering if a permitted youth can hunt all season with a permitted dad? WHEN I get drawn, I guess Ill ask em...hehehehe

Comment

They told me a youth does not need a permit if hunting with a permitted adult. I tried to get my boys waterfoul and general permits and they said only I needed one if they were hunting with me. I assume that is the same for deer hunting.

Comment

They told me a youth does not need a permit if hunting with a permitted adult. I tried to get my boys waterfoul and general permits and they said only I needed one if they were hunting with me. I assume that is the same for deer hunting.
                Man, that just dont sound right. They gave me both when I was there, one for me (general) and one for Kash (deer)....I am pretty sure they treat the deer permits totally different than the general. Heck, I am not even sure they know.

Comment

You are right. They don't know. She told me it was confusing and we read the rules together. I did get a youth deer permit for the kids and I got general and waterfowl for me. That way if you don't get drawn, the kids still get to hunt deer. With your general permit, they can hunt general.

Comment

You are right. They don't know. She told me it was confusing and we read the rules together. I did get a youth deer permit for the kids and I got general and waterfowl for me. That way if you don't get drawn, the kids still get to hunt deer. With your general permit, they can hunt general.
                    Thats the way I understand it. If I got drawn for deer, I wouldnt chance letting my son hunt deer without the youth permit. If and when we both get a golden ticket, I am going to see if he can hunt the whole season if with me next to him. I doubt he hunts much since it is pretty tough hunting but 2 of my three kids sat with me at some point last year.

Comment

Just got my General Permit and lotto ticket for deer this afternoon.

FYI - I got #603 out of 800 general permits; don't procrastinate fellas!!!

Comment

Yep, I would not put it off. I think the 500 waterfowl permits were gone in less than a week.

Comment

Yep #608.

Comment

I went out there about last weekend. Man the grass was ridiculously high. I saw some hog tracks as well as some places they have bedded but they could have been 5 ft from me and I probably wouldn't have seen them. The only thing I caught were spider bites and ticks . I'm going to wait for a while before I go back out there.

Comment

Originally posted by 1TRACK View Post
                              I went out there about last weekend. Man the grass was ridiculously high. I saw some hog tracks as well as some places they have bedded but they could have been 5 ft from me and I probably wouldn't have seen them. The only thing I caught were spider bites and ticks . I'm going to wait for a while before I go back out there.
                              Its pretty bad out there alright. I went last month and felt like I lost 5 lbs from my sweat bath. That, and blood loss from the skeeters...

Comment

#761 this morning. Come on September!

Comment

Working...
                                X