Elk hunt advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
    Something I'm going to try this year is wear a scarf around my mouth to limit how much air I can breath, try to simulate the lack of air while I'm training.
    Been thinking the same thing, but I've been running while wearing a dust mask. Its pretty horrible...

My suggestion would be to not bring EVERYTHING you think you're gonna need. IE - a windproof layer, AND a thick rain jacket. If something you have can pull double duty, bring it. But something that is weird, obscure or only has one use (like the Nomad 7 Solar Panel I had the bright idea to bring), is just extra weight that will weigh you down. Base camp or not, you're gonna be walking an awful lot.
    Last edited by Kirby86; 03-20-2014, 06:57 PM.

Comment

I would suggest shooting behind the shoulder aim for the heart Good luck. I've wanted to elk hunt since I was about 4

Comment

Do some squat exercises. Good good good boots. Light gear. Pack light and pack for the worst. More squats ....

Comment

Deal with the cold in the morning, all the clothes you bring will be stuffed into your day pack within a couple of hours.

Better to be cold and not sweat a lot IMO.

I hunted northwest NM last september and it roasted my b hole.

Every time I go Elk hunting I regret not attempting to acquire a Mule deer tag in the draw (bc I always see them and put in for one this year)

Oh and practice calling like mentioned above.

Edit - I wear cross training shoes (nike air max) (screw boots it's september and they are too heavy)
          Last edited by JW21; 03-20-2014, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mparks View Post
            Man that foam sleeping pad seems like a great idea. My bud said we'd have a base camp. Got this pack for Christmas seems like a good stalking bag
            yeah that bag looks really convenient, I need to get one of those!

Comment

From my experience in elk hunting I would say bring good tasting food!!! When your out hiking all day, it can be hard to keep on goin if you have crappy camp food. Id say go buy good tasting food that has the carbs and proteins that you enjoy eating, and find some good jerky. It makes the hiking a little less miserable if you are well feed and have a stomach that is satisfied lol

Comment

Get a better pack. Something you can pack out the meat with. Not all packs are created equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                  Get a better pack. Something you can pack out the meat with. Not all packs are created equal.
                  I agree one of my most important things I take is a good Frame pack. And cloth game bags..
                  Last edited by pope@young315; 03-27-2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

September passed a while back. How did it go?

Comment

Working...
                    X