How to build a cedar patio table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to build a cedar patio table

So I have quite a few cedars to clear on my place and want to know how to best utilize them for some projects around the house. I would really like to take one to a sawmill and make a table out of it but I don't know the most efficient way to go about it.
    I also need to know if the wood needs to cure after cutting it down. Any help from the resident wood experts? Thanks!

Nothing??

Comment

bump

Comment

It all depends on how big the pieces are. But for just about any project the wood will need to dry.And it can take a long time to dry. Cedar makes great picture frames, tables, lamps, bow veneers,tables, if you have a lathe(sp) it makes great vases and bowls and stuff. For smaller projects split the wood in staves and seal the end in wax or schelac. Then let dry

Comment

It is best to cut it when it is green/wet. Cut logs that will give you a decent yield, and take them to the saw mill. Have it cut how you want and seal the ends of the boards with paint or sealer. This helps prevent the boards from "checking". Checking is the cracks in the ends caused by the ends drying faster than the center. Sealing the ends slows this. As a rule of thumb, it takes 60 days to dry for every inch of thickness. Stack the boards with "stickers" (small blocks) between them to allow air to circulate between the boards. Stack them and forget about them for a while.

Comment

That cedar is junk. You should cut them down and drive them to Friendswood, where i will take them off your hands

Comment

Working...
            X