Luminant unit# 607

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luminant unit# 607

Has anyone hunted this public hunting area trying to get some info for deer and hog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunted it a couple times 3 or 4 years ago. Looks promising for deer but it was very crowded. Didn't see any deer, but I really hadn't scouted or put much effort into it, just had a couple days in the area and figured I'd give it a shot. Didn't see any hog sign but things can change over a couple years in regards to pigs. There are a lot of deer in that general area, and I bet if you can get to the back of the unit you'll see something.

Comment

I hunted that unit in November and December back in 2010 and at the time there was a lot of hunters. Bow hunting at the beginning could be good. There is a lot of deer in the area but I have a feeling they get pushed out. I did see a group of 6 doe on neighboring property. I also saw where someone had shot and left a big boar.

Comment

It would be a nice place to hunt if it wasn't so dang crowded.
        A lot of the hunters out there just walk around all day for some reason and the area is just too small for that.
        I was there last Monday expecting it to be empty during the week but it was packed.
        I may give it another shot later in the season.

Comment

It needs to go archery only or at least shotgun/slug, being a fraction the size of the national forest its just too small to for centerfire rifles, even LBJ which is way bigger is restricted to limited range weapons (shotgun).

Comment

yep, very heavy hunting pressure, especially on the east half. Have seen hog sign, but not heavy.

Comment

I agree with bossbowman. Should be muzzle-loader only or something, to decrease the pressure.

Comment

Thks for the replies I went there on a Tuesday and I couldn't find no where to park. So many hunters I drive two hours for nothing. At least took my son to the safari near by in Franklin [emoji1417][emoji4]

Comment

A lot of poachers hunt there. They hunt on the mine and sneak back and forth. The game warden for the area spend almost all his time there.

Comment

That's crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                      A lot of poachers hunt there. They hunt on the mine and sneak back and forth. The game warden for the area spend almost all his time there.

Are you saying poachers go into unit 607 in order to access the coal mine property? Isn't the mine 5 or 6 miles west of this unit?

Comment

Originally posted by The Real CWB View Post
                        Are you saying poachers go into unit 607 in order to access the coal mine property? Isn't the mine 5 or 6 miles west of this unit?

I think unit 607 is coal mine property? (luminant) and leased to TPWD for public hunting use.
                        Last edited by bossbowman; 11-28-2016, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                          I think unit 607 is coal mine property (luminant) and leased to TPWD for public hunting use. Convinced they keep the rifle regs to increase the traffic, sort of a game warden speed trap, warden writes alot of tickets out there I hear.

I can definitely see that being a game warden speed trap. I was just confused what you meant by, "they hunt on the mine and sneak back and forth."

Comment

It may be that far from mining operations, but I doubt it. The land is owned by Luminate as well as pretty much all the land running to the west from the unit. If you've ever worked on a mine or hunted near one, you'd see why people would do crazy stuff for those deer. There's some true monsters out there that will die of old age. They write a TON of tickets at this unit. I know this because the GW is my friend's Dad.

Comment

I can definitely see that being a game warden speed trap. I was just confused what you meant by, "they hunt on the mine and sneak back and forth."

You can't just go park on the mine. They park here and sneak over and back.

Comment

Working...
                              X