Laguna Atascosa Archery Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
    Does anyone know of access roads, other than the FM106/Buena Vista roads that are available to access the refuge?

Does anyone know if accessing the refuge via boat is allowed?

Feel free to PM me
    Nope to both questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
      Less effort dosnt help. If people are to lazy to look into public hunting options. And mail in a application/ pick up a permit they are to lazy to hunt. The only people the new system helps is the people to lazy to do these things.
      Some people, like myself never even realized it was a possibility before. It had nothing to do with laziness. This new system just reached a greater number of hunters. It's not like the new system is going to give new hunters an advantage over the veterans with getting an animal there. No need to bash fellow hunters just because you're jealous they got drawn and you didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
        i was drawn for the general deer hunt Dec 16-18. do they assign you to a compartment like they do at the wildlife management area hunts or is it kinda first come first serve? just trying to understand how the process will work.
        No assigned compartments. Just hunt where you want as long as it's an open hunting unit.

Comment

I drew the first dates. Glad to see there's more info being shared. Debating buying a game cart. Reading the reviews on them it seems like they stink from the tires, even after being left outside for weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by deadeye_CBR View Post
            Some people, like myself never even realized it was a possibility before. It had nothing to do with laziness. This new system just reached a greater number of hunters. It's not like the new system is going to give new hunters an advantage over the veterans with getting an animal there. No need to bash fellow hunters just because you're jealous they got drawn and you didn't.
            If you didn't know iLaguna existed you haven't looked very hard for public land hunting options. You might like Aransas refuge and or NRA Amistad. They along with Laguna have been extensively discussed here on Tx bowhunter for years. One of my post on Laguna was asking the Tx bowhunter community for help in keeping this hunt from going to a TPWD draw because it would keep me and my family (more than 4 of us) from being able to hunt together at the refuge as we have done for decades. That effort obviously failed thus now we have all the request for advice and information being posted here. I'll gladly give advise and even hunting locations to anyone who answered my plea for help to prevent this hunt going to a TPWD draw. For the rest my advice is pray for rain, a little rain really makes the hunting better at Laguna.

Comment

Originally posted by onthetake View Post
              If you didn't know iLaguna existed you haven't looked very hard for public land hunting options. You might like Aransas refuge and or NRA Amistad. They along with Laguna have been extensively discussed here on Tx bowhunter for years. One of my post on Laguna was asking the Tx bowhunter community for help in keeping this hunt from going to a TPWD draw because it would keep me and my family (more than 4 of us) from being able to hunt together at the refuge as we have done for decades. That effort obviously failed thus now we have all the request for advice and information being posted here. I'll gladly give advise and even hunting locations to anyone who answered my plea for help to prevent this hunt going to a TPWD draw. For the rest my advice is pray for rain, a little rain really makes the hunting better at Laguna.

I actually was aware of Amistad NRA (and a few other public areas) and have hunted there, just not Laguna Atascosa. Not all hunters spend much time on hunting forums or online at all for that matter.

Anyways, I appreciate all the advice being given by so many. I hope everyone that wasn't drawn this year the best of luck in the future. Let's all stick together as fellow hunters.
              Last edited by deadeye_CBR; 10-13-2016, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deadeye_CBR View Post
                Exactly, I agree.

The smell of butt hurt was strong from a few TBH that were jealous of not being drawn. My comment of applying less effort was me being facetious towards it.

I've applied for many public hunts, most of which I've attended. LANWR was never on my radar. Welcome, deadeye!

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                  Nope to both questions.
                  BigRed323, "Nope" as in.....

Nope, I don't know. (Question was "Does anyone know...")
                  OR
                  Nope, there is no other available means of access, boat access is not allowed.

Glad to know your following the forum!

Any source of reference on your detailed response? Thanks!

Comment

i don't know about access roads but im pretty sure if you open the link on the TPWD site for the "hunt brochure" which lists all the details and rules it reads that you can not access via boat.

Comment

Got drawn. Can't go. Hopefully a TBHer gets my permit on the 2nd draw! Really wish I could make it.

Comment

i don't know about access roads but im pretty sure if you open the link on the TPWD site for the "hunt brochure" which lists all the details and rules it reads that you can not access via boat.
                        OldRiverRat, thanks for your response.

"Other Uses
                        We prohibit use of or hunting from any type of watercraft or floating device. We prohibit the possession or use of dogs while scouting or hunting."

This is the literature I've found from the "Hunt Brochure". Is this what you are referring to?

My understanding:
                        Use of a boat or floating device is prohibited, on the refuge.
                        Hunting from boat or floating device is prohibited, on the refuge.

Accessing the refuge via boat is possible. IF it is allowed, I don't know.

Comment

yeah, not really clear and i tried to call yesterday and if you don't know the extension for the person you are trying to reach it just hangs up on you.

Comment

yeah, not really clear and i tried to call yesterday and if you don't know the extension for the person you are trying to reach it just hangs up on you.
                            OldRiverRat, it took a few days for the asst manager to return the call but he did eventually. Don't forget to leave him a voicemail!

I'm sure the boat access wont be approved, but heck, there isn't really quality access to the northern compartments.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                              Exactly, I agree.

The smell of butt hurt was strong from a few TBH that were jealous of not being drawn. My comment of applying less effort was me being facetious towards it.

I've applied for many public hunts, most of which I've attended. LANWR was never on my radar. Welcome, deadeye!
                              Like I said those that didn't know didn't put any effort in finding public opportunities. There are plenty of ways that don't involve hunting forums to find hunting opportunities. And as far as the lazy comment. It's funny all these people that never knew about it are asking questions that are clearly printed in the hunt brochure... Not all of them, but a lot. Not even trying to find it on their own... BUT I do hope everyone has an enjoyable hunt.

Comment

give it up, boat in is not going to happen. Do admire creative thinking though.

if you want to boat in Amistad is your place.

Comment

Working...
                                X