Where to hunt Elk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to hunt Elk?

A good friend of mine and me are looking to plan an elk hunt before either of us get too old to pack one out.

I lived in NM for 4 years and despite applying as a resident every year, I never got drawn.

So I'm an elk rookie still.

What's the best way to get started? I really have no preference bull or cow, bow, muzzleloader or rifle. Just feel like I need to get started learning, and have an excuse to spend some time with a buddy in the mountains.

Any ideas/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Most of Colorado is OTC for Archery and also for the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons.

Comment

Thanks. Co was first on my list of places to look, since I had heard there are OTC tags and it's a two day drive.

Just want to be sure I'm not overlooking something obvious.

Because we are both elk rookies, I'm sure wherever we go, we will have fun. It's probably going to be a mountain camping trip interrupted by the occasional search for elk.

Comment

I would like to make an elk hunt one day as well...this thread has lots of info...looks like wyoming is the place from what ive looked at

Comment

A pack in hunt for Elk would be awesome! Hopefully I can finally do one next year. I know nothing about hunting elk but my father in law guides in 3 states so I feel I may learn a thing or 2.

Comment

Thanks for the link.

Bisch, I'd be interested in hearing more about your guided hunt. I wouldn't mind paying for a guide for the first trip, esp. if that means getting help packing the critter out!

Comment

There are plenty of drop camp outfitters in Colorado.

Comment

Originally posted by jefandaward View Post
                There are plenty of drop camp outfitters in Colorado.
                Drop camp is the way to go.

Comment

Okay, I'll bite. Why drop camp?

Comment

Something like this?

West Elk Wilderness Adventures and Colorado High Country Horseback Expeditions with Tenderfoot Outfitters of Gunnison. Authentic trail rides, horse packing trips, high alpine fishing trips, tent bed and breakfast trips, backpacking trips, and youth adventure camps

Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                      Something like this?

West Elk Wilderness Adventures and Colorado High Country Horseback Expeditions with Tenderfoot Outfitters of Gunnison. Authentic trail rides, horse packing trips, high alpine fishing trips, tent bed and breakfast trips, backpacking trips, and youth adventure camps

Sounds like a pretty good deal.
                      Man, you have sparked my interest!

Comment

I went to Colorado and went to public land. Routt NF. Over the counter tags and there are elk there.

Comment

My last trip was a drop camp and it was way easier than any of my other trips. The problem is finding a repetuable outfitter that will take you into the wilderness area and not just take you around in circles. It's better now that everyone has GPS now, years ago I walked up on a couple of hunters that were very surprised to see me walk in since they were way back in the wilederness area. The fact was they were less than a mile from moutain road I drove up. Look at diffrent areas in Colorado, I've always wanted to hunt arounf Trappers Lake but I have'nt hunted there yet.

Comment

If you don't want to earn points for a draw before you go hunting Colorado is a great place to start and it's close. I have hunted Colorado, Wyoming and Montana for elk and I would choose Colorado for a newbie that wants to DIY because there is so much information about Colorado. Either sex tags are offered for both gun and archery but it's first come first serve on those starting in July.

I love archery but the fact is your odds go up significantly with a rifle. You should be able to do your homework and do a DIY for a cow and be successful. If you want a bull, those odds go down significantly. You should be prepared to hike a lot. Elk can move miles a day and you should be willing to get to a vantage point where you can see several valleys. Then plan you intercept. The more you are willing to walk the better your odds, as you will get away from the road hunters. There are a lot of them!

Good luck!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by MidLifeKtm; 02-16-2015, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks MidLife.

For my first trip, I'd be more than happy with a cow. I'm thinking muzzleloader too. If I'm successful and I learn some things, I'll go back with my bow later.

$1700 is cheap compared to some guided hunts I see, but at the same time, I'm an experienced backpacker and have camped for days way off trail, so I'm thinking maybe I just need to do the homework, go and get the tag, and hump the pack in until I locate a good looking area.

If it turns out to be a nice 4-5 day backpack camping trip interrupted by the occasional search for elk, then so be it.

I figure my first few trips are like paying tuition for lessons in elk hunting anyway.

I liked what Randy Newberg said on "Fresh Tracks" - he said guys who wait for years to draw a trophy tag will be chasing a trophy elk with zero experience under their belt. He felt it was a lot better to just go get an OTC tag and get hunting so you can gain experience, while you're waiting on that trophy tag. That made a lot of sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X