No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" 2014 Aransas Wildlife Refuge Hunt Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool NE wind, sure wish I was back down on the point covering the salt flats. I just didn't feel like carrying a tripod back in.

Just stuck a 200lb+ boar hog hunting Burgentine. Not sure how good the hit is, its in the shoulder. He ran around in a couple of circles before zigzagging off to the north. I could still see him running out to about 150yds, he was having trouble running but still moving. Another $15 donation to the refuge hog removal program.
    Last edited by Thumper; 10-12-2014, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Didn't find the hog, very little blood sign. I picked up the blood trail from where I last saw him and after tracking him through an oak mott and back into the grass I lost the blood trail. Judging by his hoof print he was more like 150lbs, not 200lbs. If someone finds him I may still get credit, I had my name on that arrow(Camp Bullis requirement).

About 0800hrs I rattled and grunted some and didn't see anything, about 15min latter I saw a little 6pt moving through the brush away from me. I rattle and grunted some more with no effect other than him moving his ears back behind him to listen. So I got my doe/fawn bleat can out and this stopped dead in his tracks and headed back towards me. He got to within 30yds hiding behind brush the whole time and after a 15min staring contest he moved on off keeping to the brush. I think he came in and spotted me first and was leaving when I first spotted him.

On the way back to the truck I saw where the buck I was hunting walked on top of my foot prints towards me, then moved away in a hurry back down the same trail. He also got to within 30yds downwind of my stand. I call him Bigfoot, he was a huge whitish gray bodied 12pt last year.

This year the hog sign was 10x greater than the deer sign, and they're using helicopters to shoot the hogs. Didn't hear any coyotes or see any bobcats this year, and not many snakes, very unusual ????.
      Attached Files

Comment

This was my first year to hunt the refuge. You guys were not lying at all about the mosquitoes! It was obvious the first 10 minutes of our scouting/set up day that the mosquito repellent I made myself was NOT going to work well. Good thing I brought the backup 98% deet spray with me.....along with two Thermacells.
        We hunted off Bergantine Rd. the first 3 1/2 days and on Monday evening I saw 4 small piggies. I shot one of them; he weighed 34 lbs. at the check station BEFORE I field dressed him. We then moved toward the interior of the refuge for the last couple days. The deer sign looked much better there, but I think we should've moved sooner. I hunted for 5 1/2 days and never saw a deer except on the way in or out. I still think the reason has to do with the mosquito repellent or the Thermacell and the odors they produce......but there is no choice but to use them most of the time. The only time I didn't need them was when there was a stiff wind blowing.
        I had a blast though and got to meet some really good folks. Some of the hunters in our camp have been hunting the refuge since the 60's (before compounds). It was fun to hear their stories from hunts long ago and to hear them talk about the first compound bows they remembered seeing and then their first ones that they hunted with.
        Will I go back and hunt it again? The jury is still out on that one.

Comment

Anyone know how the rifle hunts have gone?

Comment

Will I go back and hunt it again? The jury is still out on that one.
            I've been saying that since October of 1991. Still haven't made up my mind. I can enjoy myself at Somerville, or suffer at Aransas. I Guess choice #1 keeps winning.

Comment

Think the sheeters are going to be baf this year?...

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                Think the sheeters are going to be bad this year?...
                fify

Last week Hoopers got some high winds and suffered some damage. Not sure how bad but they lost their pavilion.
                Attached Files

Comment

YIKES!!!!! Hope everyone is alright. Did any of the cabins get damaged?

Comment

Originally posted by texastrouthunte View Post
                    YIKES!!!!! Hope everyone is alright. Did any of the cabins get damaged?
                    I think so.

Comment

Hunting Permits?

And any word on the approved hunting dates, how bad are the skeeters?

Comment

Patience grasshopper waiting on info should have something by end of this week. Im working out of town. I have some stuff but until I get positive word don't want to put it out.

Comment

Oh on the skeeters they are rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeaaaaaalllllllllllllllllll lyyyyyyyyyyyy healthy.

Comment

I may try to make this hunt again this year. Wasn't able to make it last year but would like to get back out there.

Comment

Working...
                            X