Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #1
takoma
Ten Point
 
takoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: san antonio
Hunt In: everywhere
Exclamation ~COAST PROS : Will this weekends weather shut down the fishing ?

Have not been coast fishing in ages,... finally have my opportunity to go this weekend ! Super excited with good reports of bite action, have friends and family there,... and then i start hearing about this big moisture push coming right at what seems like the entire Texas coast ! Ughhhhh...... Fishing around corpus area mostly.

I know nothing of weather and coast fishing - would this effect the bite ? Not scared to fish in light to medium rain if it's worth it. -c
takoma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young
 
Rack Ranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Of The Gulf Coast Aquifer
Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water
Default

I live here and they are calling for ESE wind gusting 25 plus on Saturday. That will mess the entire coast up.
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young
 
CastAndBlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Hunt In: Liberty Co.
Default

RR nailed it. No way I would waste the time. You may be able to find some back water that is protected and catch some redfish, but if you don't know the area very well that would be like finding a needle in a haystack.
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
Mexico
Pope & Young
 
Mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clear Lake Tx
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Ranch View Post
I live here and they are calling for ESE wind gusting 25 plus on Saturday. That will mess the entire coast up.
X2 it'll be jacked until mid next week...
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #5
ColinR
Ten Point
 
ColinR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spring Branch, TX-in the Hill Country not Houston
Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by takoma View Post
Have not been coast fishing in ages,... finally have my opportunity to go this weekend ! Super excited with good reports of bite action, have friends and family there,... and then i start hearing about this big moisture push coming right at what seems like the entire Texas coast ! Ughhhhh...... Fishing around corpus area mostly.

I know nothing of weather and coast fishing - would this effect the bite ? Not scared to fish in light to medium rain if it's worth it. -c
Right there with you brother, we have a condo at North Padre this weekend, planning to bring the boat and wear the trout out! Well I was anyway. I know we need rain bad so I'll be happy either way but sure would be nice if it stalls out till Sunday afternoon or Monday before screwing up my fishing plans this weekend. Im banking on the fact that weathermen don't have a clue and never get a forecast right.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #6
Lethal Injection
Ten Point
 
Lethal Injection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, Tx
Hunt In: Nowhere, her lawyer was better
Default

We are headed out of Galveston on a cruise Sunday afternoon, guess it’s going to be a little bumpy.
Lethal Injection is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #7
Mayhem
Pope & Young
 
Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: porter, tx
Hunt In: crockett, county
Default

Not really sure, but right now me and another TBH’er plan on fishing Friday morning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #8
44mAG
Ten Point
 
44mAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Buda, TX
Default

How does it look after something like this? Say next Thursday and Friday?
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #9
Tx_Wader
Ten Point
 
Tx_Wader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: El Campo
Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia
Default

Stay home this weekend would be my advice or if you can't enjoy other things to do besides being out on the water in a boat.

If the wind dies you'll be fine next Thursday or Friday unless it rains so much that there is fresh water dumping into the bays. Then you just have to find fishable water.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 07:10 PM   #10
marlinboy33
Six Point
 
marlinboy33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Port Aransas, texas
Hunt In: campbellton
Default

Are you going with a guide?
marlinboy33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 07:52 PM   #11
Coastal Ducks
Eight Point
 
Coastal Ducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bay City Texas
Default

I just hope we'll get some big tides out of it and a reset on this high pressure that has been killing us. I am sick of SW wind and low tides.
Coastal Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #12
jnd1959
Four Point
 
Join Date: May 2018
Default

Just got back. Low tides and windy the last two days. Wind was down before that but I didn't see alot of tidal movement. Lots of weed Sunday.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 09:52 PM   #13
Mexico
Pope & Young
 
Mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clear Lake Tx
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
I just hope we'll get some big tides out of it and a reset on this high pressure that has been killing us. I am sick of SW wind and low tides.
Amen to that. I was just thinking today we should be in that steady 10 to 15 mph SE wind for at least a month already and I've only seen it a handful of days this year...and no water in the bay... ugh
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #14
jbhlsu
Six Point
 
jbhlsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Woodlands
Hunt In: Buffalo, Ozona
Default

I would pass boys..sorry for the bad news. Just left Crystal beach today and it has been blown out since Saturday. Buddy headed Sunday AM down to Baffin for Monday-Tomorrow trip and didn't even fish today. Actually, came home this evening.... I think this week and 1/2 of next week blown out..JMHO
jbhlsu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 07:16 AM   #15
ace340cs
Ten Point
 
ace340cs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mcallen Tx.
Hunt In: Use to in Mexico, South Texas
Thumbs up Hey man!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by takoma View Post
Have not been coast fishing in ages,... finally have my opportunity to go this weekend ! Super excited with good reports of bite action, have friends and family there,... and then i start hearing about this big moisture push coming right at what seems like the entire Texas coast ! Ughhhhh...... Fishing around corpus area mostly.

I know nothing of weather and coast fishing - would this effect the bite ? Not scared to fish in light to medium rain if it's worth it. -c
If you still have my ####, send me a text and we can get something plan to fish the Lower Laguna ,Mansfield and or Arroyo City.... Carlos S.
ace340cs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #16
takoma
Ten Point
 
takoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: san antonio
Hunt In: everywhere
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace340cs View Post
If you still have my ####, send me a text and we can get something plan to fish the Lower Laguna ,Mansfield and or Arroyo City.... Carlos S.
hey ! long time no chat Carlos - your number still end in 6993 ?
Would love to plan something for next month - we'll be in touch ! thanks man ! - c

takoma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #17
takoma
Ten Point
 
takoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: san antonio
Hunt In: everywhere
Default

Ughhh,... been watching the weather for corpus area and it continues to change. Not looking like the downpour predicted. still worried about the wind though.

If there a site you look at to see these predictions on coast winds ?

many thanks !
c
takoma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 07:26 PM   #18
Flex
Ten Point
 
Flex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Waco
Hunt In: The Bushes
Default

Everything i am seeing is showing it mostly hitting tx coast. I've been trying to search online for info. Anybody think it will effect SWLA?

Have a trip planned for calcasieu the 20-22.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 07:52 PM   #19
ColinR
Ten Point
 
ColinR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spring Branch, TX-in the Hill Country not Houston
Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora
Default

Well the forecast has changed to not looking too bad for Friday and Saturday, hope it stays that way or gets better. 20 mph wind is pretty normal down there. Will I be going to the wells with that wind no, but upper laguna will be fine. I'm sure it will change 20 more times between now and then though.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 08:26 PM   #20
Breezy
Pope & Young
 
Breezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sinton, Texas
Hunt In: Refugio, San Patricio counties and viva mexico !
Default

Going Friday after work then early in early out Saturday am.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 09:58 PM   #21
takoma
Ten Point
 
takoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: san antonio
Hunt In: everywhere
Default

So for the guys that made it down to the coast this weekend,.. how was the fishing and conditions for ya after all ?
takoma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #22
stickman
Pope & Young
 
stickman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: S.Texas
Default

Fished Saturday and caught plenty of fish. Not any big fish but plenty for the grease
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #23
Aggiechick
Ten Point
 
Aggiechick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Hunt In: Calhoun County
Default

Fished Saturday and it was slow. Did not see a whole lot of bait and had to work to find clean water.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Aggiechick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #24
Flex
Ten Point
 
Flex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Waco
Hunt In: The Bushes
Default

Hey can any of y'all teach me, or explain, or post a link on how to understand salinity levels? Like say it's 5ppm or something. What's a high level and what is almost fresh?

And what level do trout prefer to stay in?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 06:35 PM   #25
stickman
Pope & Young
 
stickman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: S.Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
Hey can any of y'all teach me, or explain, or post a link on how to understand salinity levels? Like say it's 5ppm or something. What's a high level and what is almost fresh?

And what level do trout prefer to stay in?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I really never looked into salinity levels for finding trout. I have caught trout both at the mouths of fresh water rivers where they dump into bays and hyper saline bays where very little fresh water comes into them. I just figure if their baitfish of choice(mullet in my opinion) is near the trout won't be far behind.
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #26
Flex
Ten Point
 
Flex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Waco
Hunt In: The Bushes
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman View Post
I really never looked into salinity levels for finding trout. I have caught trout both at the mouths of fresh water rivers where they dump into bays and hyper saline bays where very little fresh water comes into them. I just figure if their baitfish of choice(mullet in my opinion) is near the trout won't be far behind.
I've never put that much thought into it. But read so much about how they like consistent temp and salt levels. So trying to establish better patterns.

But looking for the birds and bait usually works also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 06:52 PM   #27
Coastal Ducks
Eight Point
 
Coastal Ducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bay City Texas
Default

They will put up with really fresh water if there is food available for them. Sometimes a bunch of rain or big tides will flush shad, shrimp and other food out of the marsh for them and even if it's really fresh the trout will take advantage of the opportunity. I've fished many times when the bay water was so fresh you could drink it on top but there was enough salt underneath that the trout held tight and we caught fish fine. Same on river rises. I have seen it many times where it was rolling hard and muddy on a big river rise and the very first night the river dropped to normal and a little green water was pulled in from the gulf we had trout in the lights.

We aren't talking 15 or 20" of rain here. I don't think what we get out of this is going to have a major negative effect on the fish. It may move some fish around, may bump our tides back up but it isn't going to flush all the fish out of the bay or shut them down for very long, if at all. Matter of fact, it may kick off a few days of good feeds.

As far as salinity, the gulf is usually around 30-35 ppt. Bay water is usually between 20 and 30 ppt. Higher as you get closer to passes, lower as you get into the upper end of the bay. When we get big freshwater inflows it can go to 0 or real near 0 ppt. Trout need it to be at least 17 ppt or higher for spawning purposes. For survival purposes they will stay in much lower salinities if the food is there for them.
Coastal Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 07:11 PM   #28
Flex
Ten Point
 
Flex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Waco
Hunt In: The Bushes
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
They will put up with really fresh water if there is food available for them. Sometimes a bunch of rain or big tides will flush shad, shrimp and other food out of the marsh for them and even if it's really fresh the trout will take advantage of the opportunity. I've fished many times when the bay water was so fresh you could drink it on top but there was enough salt underneath that the trout held tight and we caught fish fine. Same on river rises. I have seen it many times where it was rolling hard and muddy on a big river rise and the very first night the river dropped to normal and a little green water was pulled in from the gulf we had trout in the lights.

We aren't talking 15 or 20" of rain here. I don't think what we get out of this is going to have a major negative effect on the fish. It may move some fish around, may bump our tides back up but it isn't going to flush all the fish out of the bay or shut them down for very long, if at all. Matter of fact, it may kick off a few days of good feeds.

As far as salinity, the gulf is usually around 30-35 ppt. Bay water is usually between 20 and 30 ppt. Higher as you get closer to passes, lower as you get into the upper end of the bay. When we get big freshwater inflows it can go to 0 or real near 0 ppt. Trout need it to be at least 17 ppt or higher for spawning purposes. For survival purposes they will stay in much lower salinities if the food is there for them.
Wow. Thanks a ton. That's exactly the info I was looking for!

I grew up fishing big lake, but my dad and grandpa were old school. They just went and caught fish! Haha.

I'm headed to Big Lake Thursday to get after them. Was trying to educate myself about this rain situation. Will post a live thread as usual!

Thanks again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #29
Flex
Ten Point
 
Flex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Waco
Hunt In: The Bushes
Default

So as of now looks like it hasn't changed much. Will keep checking just out of curiosity. This is about mid lake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #30
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young
 
panhandlehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sweenyish
Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties
Default

I fished Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. It was windy, never got rained on but couldn't find a trout to save my life. The redfish however, were everywhere. We limited out on reds every day except Saturday, and that's because I tried a new spot. Not really a fish I target but I'll take them when the trout bite is slow.

Last edited by panhandlehunter; 06-18-2018 at 07:33 PM.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #31
flywise
Pope & Young
 
flywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kempner,Tx
Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default

I fished today and we caught 2 trout about 25 inches and a few about 15 inches. Not a lot of action but good fun.

We fished the windsurf area on PINS
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com