Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 06-05-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas
Default AC condenser not coming on

3 ton goodman unit. A couple of weeks ago it was working normally but buzzing super loud. Even when power was turned off, it continued to buzz so i realized it was something to do with the thermostat. I replaced the contactor, where the sound was coming from, and the buzzing stopped. Unit came on but seemed to struggle to start and would sometimes kind of die and then start back up. I figured the capacitor was about to go out. Now today it will not come on at all. I checked the breaker. There is an identical unit, besides being 2 ton, on the other end of the house. So i pulled the capacitor off it to see if it would start the 3 ton unit. Nothing. Should that capacitor work on the 3 ton? Its a little smaller than the 3 ton capacitor. Thermostat is buzzing in the contactor like before but barely audible. What's next?
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
Tracy moss
Four Point

Hunt In: buna

What is the sizes of the two capacitors proably will not work if the sizes are any different the 2 ton will have a smaller cap.
Tracy moss is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Pic with thumb is 3 ton
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Tracy moss
Four Point

Don’t think it will work !! You need to get the same cap. Usually a bad cap will be oily or the top of the cap. Would be swollen make sure your contactor is pulling in and check line voltage to unit make sure you have your 230 volt and check for melted or burnt wires you also may need a hard start kit along with the capacitor does your lights go dim in your house when the units come on for a few seconds.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Lights do not dim.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
jrbb00
Four Point

Hunt In: San Patricio, Bee, Victoria, Lavaca Countys

Quickest way to tell if the capacitor is going out is to see if you can spin the fan blade and if it starts up and runs it is your capacitor is bad. If nothing happens ohm out the fan motor. With out the fan motor the system will more than likely trip out on high pressure. Hope this helps
jrbb00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #7
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Yep. Get a stick and try to spin the fan to get it started (if you don't want to take the cover off).
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Capacitor shows no visual signs of being bad. Manually jump starting fan produced no result. I guess tomorrow i will try to rule out the fan motor.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #9
Smokeater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tree

Make sure your getting the right voltage too. One leg of my service disconnect/breaker gave out last year and did the same thing.
Smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 10:36 PM   #10
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

What Smokeater said. Sounds like you don't have power. If the fan was bad, the compressor would still run. You would hear it. Need to check power with voltmeter.

If you get it running, get rid of those Chinese made capacitors. Those caps are only 5mfd apart, either one would run in either unit for test purposes.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2018, 10:48 PM   #11
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Check your fuse in the air handler. Usually a 5amp fuse. If it's blown, you won't get the 24v to the times relay board.

Other thing it could be is the timed relay board.

Highly doubt it's your capacitor. Push in on your contactor and see if you get power and your fan to come on. If get power to the fan from pushing in on the capacitor and your fuse in the airhandler is ok, Check for 24v at the timed relay board. If you have it there, it's the board. They're about $15-20

Last edited by BBReezen; 06-05-2018 at 10:53 PM.
BBReezen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 07:29 AM   #12
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Thanks for all the info guys. I will work through those items today and report back.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #13
125Dad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co.

I would check you phone book for a A/C guy.

Good luck not a good time to be with out cold air.
125Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 07:46 AM   #14
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125Dad View Post
I would check you phone book for a A/C guy.

Good luck not a good time to be with out cold air.
The temptation is there. It just really pains me to pay anyone to do anything. A penny saved is a penny earned. Our house is basically 2 halves, serviced by separate units, that can be closed off. So half of the house is still cold at least. HVAC is one spot where my DIY knowledge is lacking. However, it grows every time I have a problem.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #15
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
The temptation is there. It just really pains me to pay anyone to do anything. A penny saved is a penny earned. Our house is basically 2 halves, serviced by separate units, that can be closed off. So half of the house is still cold at least. HVAC is one spot where my DIY knowledge is lacking. However, it grows every time I have a problem.
Same as me, I have electronics troubleshooting skills so I can usually track it down if it is something simple. Put a $20 part in and go. Now he Freon amd piper side of it, they can have at it
Old 06-06-2018, 08:41 AM   #16
Tracy moss
Four Point

Send pic of the contactor you wired up may have a wire in wrong place
Old 06-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #17
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Does the fan spin freely? Most likely not the capacitor but could have a compressor issue. Over heated possibly. Truly it is hard to diagnose over the internet. Could be a few things casing the issue. I'd call someone out
txoutdoorsman24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #18
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Confirmed 110-120v on both legs coming in.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #19
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Fan spins very free manually.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:42 AM   #20
deerdhunter
Nubbin' Buck

Mine stopped working a couple of weeks ago. A friend who does a\c came over and found a spider had been fired been the contact points. All that you could see were its curled up legs sticking out from under the contact.
deerdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #21
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Have you tried taking that small cover off and manually pressing in the contactor to power on the fan/compressor?
Old 06-06-2018, 10:47 AM   #22
kruppa24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho

fire ants will also get in those contactors, but I think you already said you replaced that.
hard start kit will help also if the fan is not bad.
kruppa24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #23
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBReezen View Post
Have you tried taking that small cover off and manually pressing in the contactor to power on the fan/compressor?
I second this suggestion. if you have power coming in - manually override the contactor - should be a spring loaded button to push under that cover. then, if you are getting power on the other side, your fan/compressor will kick on. if you hear the fan/compressor humming but not fully kicking on, then might need to replace the capacitor.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #24
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Is this white board the one you are talking about in air handler? Fuse checks good. I read voltage on right side wires but none on left side. Not sure if there should be any there or not. However, now the unit has magically come on. But i feel it will be short lived functionality. It could be all in my head but it seems like the condenser is running a little weak. Like it should be a little louder.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:15 AM   #25
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Forgot the pic
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #26
LeanMachine
Ten Point

If it stops again, i will try pushing in the contactor. I assume what you are referring to is under that black cover held onto the contactor by 2 screws?
Old 06-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #27
Tracy moss
Four Point

Do you have a amp meter
Old 06-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #28
Tracy moss
Four Point

Let run a while and feel top of motor on the fan guard. To see if it’s getting hot
Old 06-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #29
Tracy moss
Four Point

Make sure you have the red and purple wire on the cap on the common terminal and the yellow on herm terminal of cap.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #30
JGlock30
Four Point

Hunt In: Limestone

I always start with the contactor push! if there is no power, you will be doing tons of work that is not needed!!
JGlock30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #31
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Quote:
Is this white board the one you are talking about in air handler? Fuse checks good. I read voltage on right side wires but none on left side. Not sure if there should be any there or not. However, now the unit has magically come on. But i feel it will be short lived functionality. It could be all in my head but it seems like the condenser is running a little weak. Like it should be a little louder.
I have a Frigidaire and mine looks a little different but yes, of fuse is good then you should be getting 24v to the outside unit relay board.

Quote:
If it stops again, i will try pushing in the contactor. I assume what you are referring to is under that black cover held onto the contactor by 2 screws?
Yessir, pull those two screws and the cover and you can push in on the small rectangle tab.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #32
Big_gun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Open for Suggestions

check your pan upstairs... if its full of water your float switch might have kept unit from coming on...
Big_gun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #33
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kennard

You need a volt meter to properly diagnose this issue. I would help but Iím too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #34
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Have we gotten a resolution, it’s been a week?
Old 06-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #35
abilliott
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_gun View Post
check your pan upstairs... if its full of water your float switch might have kept unit from coming on...
Thats funny you mention this...just happened to me. The unit is off and unresponsive, go through the whole "is it getting power" scenario... breakers...etc.

YUP! Thats what it was...no bleach in the drain line so when it stopped up and overflowed into the pan and the float switch killed the unit! Thank goodness it did too. Took me 2 trips with a 14gal shopvac to suck all the water from the pan. Float switch returned and unit fired up!
abilliott is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #36
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

I'd make sure you have 24v coming in from the thermostat. I just replaced my thermostat last week for the same symptoms as you. For some reason I was only getting 14v coming in
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #37
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Yes I have a volt meter that was used to check things.

I have run into the water pan issue before on the other unit. This unit is in our master closet. From what I remember, if that's the problem, the inside unit does not come on either.

However, like i mentioned in an above post, while I was going through checking things it magically started working again and has run fine ever since. I still suspect the capacitor to be the culprit and it will probably take a dump again soon.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #38
tward1604
Eight Point

Hunt In: wherever I can

if theres a Locke Supply close they sell capacitorsa for 12 bucks and some change to the public. Just replaced one on my unit yesterday.
tward1604 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #39
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: A pop up Blind in East Texas

I paid $30 for a capacitor at a supply store, but it was $30 well spent.
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #40
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by abilliott View Post
Thats funny you mention this...just happened to me. The unit is off and unresponsive, go through the whole "is it getting power" scenario... breakers...etc.

YUP! Thats what it was...no bleach in the drain line so when it stopped up and overflowed into the pan and the float switch killed the unit! Thank goodness it did too. Took me 2 trips with a 14gal shopvac to suck all the water from the pan. Float switch returned and unit fired up!
On the bleach in the drain pan/line---our HVAC company says no as it is corrosive --- they recommend vinegar instead.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #41
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Well we are back to no AC again. Wasnt coming on a few days ago so i pulled the cover off the contactor and it would start by pushing it in but would not stay on. After fiddling w it it eventually came on on its own and stayed on. A day or two later it was still working normally but the contactor started buzzing again just like it did before all these issues started. Progressively got louder. Got home from work today and the contactor is engaged, buzzing loudly, and unit not coming on. The buzz is related to the thermostat bc it keeps buzzing when outside breaker to unit is turned off.

We leave for miami tomorrow. I need to know possiblr parts to order so i can fix it when i get back.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:39 PM   #42
kruppa24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdhunter View Post
Mine stopped working a couple of weeks ago. A friend who does a\c came over and found a spider had been fired been the contact points. All that you could see were its curled up legs sticking out from under the contact.
This happens quite a bit. Fire ants also.
kruppa24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #43
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kennard

Quote:
Well we are back to no AC again. Wasnt coming on a few days ago so i pulled the cover off the contactor and it would start by pushing it in but would not stay on. After fiddling w it it eventually came on on its own and stayed on. A day or two later it was still working normally but the contactor started buzzing again just like it did before all these issues started. Progressively got louder. Got home from work today and the contactor is engaged, buzzing loudly, and unit not coming on. The buzz is related to the thermostat bc it keeps buzzing when outside breaker to unit is turned off.

We leave for miami tomorrow. I need to know possiblr parts to order so i can fix it when i get back.

Did you happen to check the junction outside the unit for the thermostat wire? This gets jaked up all the time! Itís usually just wirenuts and electrical tape

FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #44
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
Did you happen to check the junction outside the unit for the thermostat wire? This gets jaked up all the time! Itís usually just wirenuts and electrical tape

I have a devil beagle that's chewed mine 3x this week! Put a cage around it and then she hopped on top of the condenser and got in the cage to chew it! Putting a top over it tomorrow!

Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2018, 07:06 AM   #45
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Yes there were ants in the contactor when i opened it. I had the same problem with my well a while back and ants were preventing contact. I flicked the contacts around some to try the knock any ants out of the ac contacts but i was not overly thorough bc the power was on at the moment.

Yes the thermostat wires are wire nutted right outside of the unit.

Im at the airport now. I will make sure its ant free when i get home and will check the wire nut connection. It felt solid but i didnt take them off to inspect.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:52 PM   #46
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Alright im back home and its still hot in texas! I checked the thermostat wires. Connections were solid but had a good bit of wire exposed outside of the nuts due to insulation rotating away. Probably from sun exposure. I rewired them. At that point i was still getting the super loud buzzing from the contactor. I removed, disassembled, and cleaned it. I reinstalled it and the buzzing is gone. I also tested the contactor with a multimeter even though it is almost new. The thermostat is engaging the contactor as it should. Even tested it to make sure i was getting voltage on the back side after it engaged.

No sound of compressor or fan motor trying to come on. Fan still spins freely.

Im learning as i go but i dont see how they could not come on unless the capacitor is bad. With power to the unit, i have 120 on everly leg of the capacitor. It shows zero sign of failure.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #47
LeanMachine
Ten Point

So i checked my working unit for comparison and it has 240 on both legs coming out of the capacitor. So that means my cap on the dead unit with only 120 coming out of it is bad....right?
Old 08-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #48
LeanMachine
Ten Point

I got it figured out. I lost a leg of power. I did not realize it because when i checked them independently to ground coming into the contactor, i got 120 on both. I talked to a friend and he said to check them together. I got nothing with that. I opened up the outside breaker and sure enough i only had power on one leg. One side of the breaker had tripped at the panel. If this thing keeps dieing on me, i will be an hvac expert in no time.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #49
EliteDriver
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

Good for you and persevering through it!!!
EliteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #50
WildThings
Eight Point

Hunt In: None at the moment

Good job!! But why did only one side trip?
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top