Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 07-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #51
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

Hey Chunky! Whipped you up a couple of spiders. About to play with deer hair. Found another reason to hunt WT

We definately need to meet up for another discover a Woodlands pond get together.
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #52
moreammo
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Hey Chunky! Whipped you up a couple of spiders. About to play with deer hair. Found another reason to hunt WT

We definately need to meet up for another discover a Woodlands pond get together.
first time i have ever wished i lived closer to houston!

you guys have fun!
moreammo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #53
BowBuddy
Ten Point

Quote:
Something like this?

Attachment 632610
That will work but make some with longer abdomens you have to fish them like dry flies.
BowBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #54
BowBuddy
Ten Point

You can also put some flash on the.back of.that spider and you have a cricket
Old 07-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #55
Chunky
Pope & Young

Wow, thanks, I have been so busy, I have been covered up this week. I hope we could maybe meet next week if you have an afternoon that works.
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #56
Nightowl
Spike

bream killer. In east texas that is the go to bug for perch. If they don't hit that they won't hit anything.

google bream killer and find the website called bream bugs. They have the bream killers. Best color is black.

I do wooly buggers and a few poppers if I'm wanting bigger fish like white perch, white bass, and large mouths
Nightowl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #57
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky View Post
Wow, thanks, I have been so busy, I have been covered up this week. I hope we could maybe meet next week if you have an afternoon that works.
Yeah me too. While my son is away at Summer Camp, I've been working on building his lofted bed. Spent the evening getting the wood and materials Tuesday; cut the wood and built the sections last night. Tonight it gets stained and then put together.

I'm really ready for this week to be over. He'll love it though; so it's worth it.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #58
BowBuddy
Ten Point

If yyou learn how to stack deer hair you can tie smaller versions of the flies in the Academys or Cabelas or basspro. I can maximize my bass fun with a 5 or 6 wt rod by throwing smaller deer hair bugs, it disrupts the water different than foam or hard plastic poppers and you get more hook ups I even tie frog patterns and use a sinking tip line and retrieve it bellow water and stop and let it float again usually the hit it as it starts to float upwards. get bud preddys flyfishing the texas hill country and tie minnow patterns like his.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #59
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Headed to the Y for some tae kwon do and my son wanted me to fly fish while we wait so I whipped up this guy real quick.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1405176778881.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  39.6 KB
Old 07-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #60
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

He didn't fish very balanced. Need to get the wings further up. Did catch a small bass with him though and the perch were popping him like crazy!
Old 07-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #61
moreammo
Eight Point

Nice one!
moreammo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #62
BowBuddy
Ten Point

Yep balance is key good job though especially if you hadnt been tying very long
Old 07-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #63
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

I definately haven't been tying long... I'd say about a week

The best part is the kids love to watch and my son wants to tie his own flies. He has a small box of flies that he has tied (with dad's help of course.) I let them pick the colors, etc. Never seen a pink/white grasshopper before... but the little girl loves pink!!!

The biggest problem with tying flies, is that you can make way more patterns than you could possibly have time to try
Old 07-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #64
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

So I made another hopper to address the issues in the first one and it lit up the bass on the pond at the Y tonight! The bass I am catching are getting bigger and bigger. 3 bass in 20 mins. The first half hour I was trying a brown one.

You need to catch up Chunky, you are falling behind.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1405473600419.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  39.0 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1405473612174.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  28.6 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1405473674241.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  30.3 KB
Old 07-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #65
Chunky
Pope & Young

Wow, we'll done, I am so far behind and really jealous. I have construction at the ranch this week and have not gotten any fishing in. Must fix that soon.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #66
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Did you buy any hoppers? If not, I will tie you some of those too.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:21 AM   #67
Chunky
Pope & Young

No I didn't, I really appreciate it. Let me buy some materials. I also have boxes of old hide bits and pieces, perhaps some of that hair is useful?

Is there an evening next week we can meet?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #68
BowBuddy
Ten Point

Where are yall fishing, i have some kayaks and cannot
Old 07-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #69
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
No I didn't, I really appreciate it. Let me buy some materials. I also have boxes of old hide bits and pieces, perhaps some of that hair is useful?

Heck.. no problem. I like making them. The problem is I don't need more than a couple at a time because I can just come home and whip some more up.

Don't buy anything!!! I've got plenty of materials to make like 100s of stuff.

However, hide bits can be very useful. I'm using deer hair and was kicking myself that I didn't keep any from last year's harvest. Will not be making that mistake again. Deer (Elk, WT, etc) hair is good stuff. A little bit goes along way. I've barely made a dent on a 4" x 4" peice that we bought. (it was weird BUYING deer hair even though it was only a $!) The nice thing about having more is I can dye it different colors.

Buck tail and Squirrel tail are a couple of items I'm going to try and get some of so I can make some minnows. But I've told myself that I am not going to purchase those.... they will come from me harvesting them myself (or somebody else.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowBuddy View Post
Where are yall fishing, i have some kayaks and cannot
We are north of Houston. A tad far from ya.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #70
Limbwalker
Banned!!!

Quote:
I have fished for those with trout bait before. I don't know how well they take to flies
They will take flies. Bigger issue is finding the room around those ponds after they have stocked. They are usually lined with bait fisherman.

Great thread by the way. I love flyfishing and agree it's a lot like traditional archery. However, when I really, really need to catch a fish, my flyrod is usually what I reach for. I just catch a lot of smaller fish on it, but that's part of the fun.

The other evening, I was with my daughter fishing at a very small local pond, and I broke out my flyrod. I had a spinner on hers and she was getting bites but no catching. As soon as my flies hit the water, I started bringing in bluegills. My daughter was not so impressed.

It's one of the best ways to pass the time a person can choose. Glad you guys found it!

Love those flies by the way. Esp. the spider. That looks deadly!

Good job and keep it coming!
Limbwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #71
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
This week sure is flying by too! Next week should be good. I'll check the calendar to make sure. Suggest a week day that is best so that you are not in a rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbwalker View Post
They will take flies. Bigger issue is finding the room around those ponds after they have stocked. They are usually lined with bait fisherman.
I actually noticed that when I was one of the bait fisherman. I noticed one or two guys trying to fly fish with a bunch of us going plop plop plop plop. Always tried to give him room just so he could cast. Kinda felt bad for the guy.... now I'll be that guy.

Quote:
It's one of the best ways to pass the time a person can choose. Glad you guys found it!
You are not kidding. The last couple of weeks have been going by pretty quick. It's nice to have something to do outdoors and not be dreaming about the upcoming WT season when it's still a few months away. Also, I can go fish within minutes of the house. Wish I could say that about hunting...

Quote:
Love those flies by the way. Esp. the spider. That looks deadly!
Good job and keep it coming!
Thanks! We'll se how well it works. I fished a prototype of it that I snagged a gill with, but not nearly as conclusive as the hopper experience from last night. There is no way my box won't have a yellow bellied green hopper in it for the forseeable future

And feel free to join in... this isn't the Swamp and Chunky show... throw in a few pics and some stories so us newbies can learn!
Old 07-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #72
Randy M
Six Point

Here's a few of mine...

Belize bonefish
[IMG][/IMG]

Colorado trout
[IMG][/IMG]

Grand Cayman bonefish
Randy M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #73
Loreva13
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraan, TX, El Paso, TX, Van Horn, TX, and Fort Hancock, TX

Nice pics Randy!
Loreva13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #74
Seacoal
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern Uvalde County

Anyone in the Fort Worth area ever do or want to do some trad fishing? I'd love to find a partner and get about it
Seacoal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #75
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

I forgot to actually tell the story of the 3 bass... cause it was a pretty good experience.

I arrived at the pond at the Y after dropping off my son at class. As was typical, the small dock/pier was empty of anybody fishing or sitting and enjoying the pond. This pond is full of lilly pads and hydrilla, so I like to use the dock if it is available. I open the box and decide to use the brown/orange hopper I made and tested it out. The previous saturday morning, they were hitting the yellow/green, but I wanted to try one of the new ones to see if it made a difference. Well, after 20 minutes, nothing was really going after it. I tried different retrieves, etc. I didn't want to give up on the pattern. The water was clear and I could see a few bass even just swim under and ignore it completely. I swallowed my pride and decided to change it up.

So I decided to try a blue gill spider I had made. Not the foam spider, but a different pattern. This one would sink... maybe they just didn't want to rise for food. But alas, I had absolutely no luck with it either. I gave it maybe 10 minutes without any signficant attempts to take it.

With 20 or so minutes left, I decided I would try the yellow bellied green hopper again from a few days ago. This time I started out blind casting towards the edges of the lilly pads. I had done it with the brown hopper, but drew a blan. Deep down, I knew they had to be there and this time, things would be different. On a twitch, twitch, twitch, pause popper style retreive I got a solid hit. In fact, it surprised me so much that I practically set the hook and brought the fish up through the air to the dock (about a 20' flight) with my long strip set and rod raise. He managed to hold through all that and I pulled him out of the thick salad he landed in. Estatic, I decided to cast back over to the other side along the lilly pads. Got a bump, but was a miss. Second cast drew a blank. 3rd cast and on a slightly longer pause... BOOM! Just like the first. But unlike the first, I was ready for it. Gently set the hook and slowly strip retreived him in.

At this point, my attention moved towards the bass that I had seen along the shoreline reeds that lined the entrance of the dock/pier. I knew he was laying there waiting. My brown hopper hadn't been enough for him not too long ago. He would occasionally make his rounds to some blue gill beds and then swim back home, never even giving the brown hopper above his head an initial look. I wondered if this one would be enough.

The first 2 bass were all blind casts and all I could see of the take was the splash in the water. I wanted this other bass.... I wanted to see him take it. So I casted just beyond the line of reeds and slowly twitched the yellow bellied hopper back towards me.... nothing. Cast it again.... twitch, twitch, pause, twi---no... wait... wait... and bam it happened. I saw his head come out of the reed grass. His mouth opened up and snagged the hopper off the film and in an instant start to turn back away from the ripple, only to get whipped back from my line accellerating back to set the hook.

In all my fishing, I have yet to see a fish rise to hit my bait or lure like I did in that case. I usally just fish bait below the surface... or if I fished a topwater, they were too far away for me to see the take like that. Not only that... but I knew he was there. I was after THAT fish. I wonder if he is back in there now wondering how I got the better of him. I know I am sitting here relishing in defeating him... with some kids craft foam I bought at Wal-Mart!

-Scott
Old 07-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #76
Chunky
Pope & Young

Great write up Scott. I could go to the pond at my house right now, but the fly might be a lightening bug, as it is really storming outside. Have fun at class on Saturday and let me know what you learn.

I could meet any night except Wednesday next week. I could meet on Wed. but my time is limited.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #77
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Okay, I'll check with the activities schedule. Maybe Monday?

Yeah, this weather pattern has been a bummer. Rain = can't shoot, can't fish...
Old 07-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #78
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Was at the Y again. The bass are getting bigger... pulled in a 13" one and his lil brother. Moved off the dock towards a tree and battled with a really good one before he broke the tippet. My fault for not swapping out between good fights. I will be back though... it was a nice fish! Bigger than the 13" for sure.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #79
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Chunky, what about Monday night next week?
Old 07-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #80
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

My wife took pictures this time so I had to be in it.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1405647302027.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  62.8 KB
Old 07-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #81
Chunky
Pope & Young

Monday should work, weather permitting. Let me know.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #82
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Yep, confirmed for Monday. Now we need to pick a pond. I will post up the link tomorrow and let you chose this time. There is a feeder to lake woodlands that sounds intersting.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #83
Loreva13
Pope & Young

Nice write Scott!
Old 07-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #84
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Here is a great site for the woodlands lakes/ponds.

http://www.fishinginthewoodlands.com/home/fish-by-map

We fished Alden Woods. I did try out Creekwood and liked it's potential. There is parking there... but also a pool and skate park, so I don't know how crowded it gets during the weekday.

I do want to try Wedgewood pond, but it looks like street parking is all that is available.

Take a look and let me know what you want to try.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #85
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

First catfish on a fly. He took that red doohiky fly I made that I call a roman soldier.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1405734045509.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  73.1 KB
Old 07-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #86
Seacoal
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern Uvalde County

Awesomeness!
Seacoal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #87
BowBuddy
Ten Point

Caught alot of.different fish on the fly
Old 07-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #88
Loreva13
Pope & Young

Awesome catch!
Old 07-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #89
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hey Paul, post up a picture of your foam spider. Mine didn't float the way I hoped. The leg placement needs work.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #90
BowBuddy
Ten Point

Quote:
Hey Paul, post up a picture of your foam spider. Mine didn't float the way I hoped. The leg placement needs work.
What i saw w your spider is you used to big of a hook for most top water flies that are small yo kind tie it on a hook just a little longer that the headand not really into the abdomen. I tie a minnow pattern and the head is the hook and tail is well past it. But also wrap the thread the entire shank of the hook, this will help the water adhere to the hook and make the fly rid true. Also those spiders may need to be true to size and color. So go catch a water spider and look at it pic a hook that will go to his abdomen, cut foam to length of body an use a thread color that is the color of the segments. Today is the first day i fly fished in a long time. Was in perch jerkin heaven at Guadalupe state park caught some slabs i used sneaky petes. I will have to look for my spiders or tie up some new ones.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:11 PM   #91
BowBuddy
Ten Point

Here are some minnow pattern
Old 07-20-2014, 11:15 PM   #92
BowBuddy
Ten Point

Heres my minnow patterns
Old 07-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #93
BowBuddy
Ten Point

Can get them to load but looked at your spider pattern those spiders dont live on the water, the abdomen needs to look slender and longer.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:32 AM   #94
BowBuddy
Ten Point

Ok finally here are some patterns i use

Last edited by BowBuddy; 07-23-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:35 AM   #95
BowBuddy
Ten Point

Here are some more i use

Old 07-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #96
BowBuddy
Ten Point

Here is an assortment of flies i would take to fish the Guadalupe above canyon lake but if i fished the Blanco river near wimberly i would take more brown colors.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #97
Chunky
Pope & Young

Those look great. Picking colors for me is like tuning arrows.....I just keep trying different things until something works.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #98
BowBuddy
Ten Point

Typically green water you want to use shades of green, but i would bring a few other colors as well, but clear water with brown rock use shades of brown.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #99
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Mark and I had another great meetup fishing a new to us Woodlands Pond. We fished the pond off Timberloch, just south of the Vintage area. Mark got off to a slow start, and I held pretty steady catching a total of 3 gills about 45 minutes apart as we were working around the pond. Mark however got some outside help from two brothers who had come by to fly fish as well. Towards the end, he caught like 3 fish in 10 minutes or something crazy like that.

The highlight for me was after trying the green hopper initially, I decided to switch to a black hopper dropper combo. I hadn't done the hopper/dropper so it was new territory. I tied on a bead head nymph that I came up with the night before. Just a #12 beadhead with a peacock herl body, some palmered hackle up front that was tied back and wrapped with pink thread. Well it worked very well. When I tossed it into the water and stripped some line off the reel to start my first cast with it, I was met with a surprise. I went to back cast and thought I had snagged some weed... instead, I had snagged this guy! Needless to say, that pattern worked.... assuming I could figure out the presentation right.

Last edited by SwampRabbit; 07-22-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #100
Loreva13
Pope & Young

Nice!!!