Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 11-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #151
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.
Default I'll post more pics with the whole cover on.

I use mine out in the big wheat fields as a rolling blind. We call it the Bait and wait wagon.
Attached Images

Last edited by Abcdj; 11-21-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #152
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowSlayer View Post
Ha, I'm no Jedi. Thanks for the compliments though. I just bought one to fix up a few years ago and it gave me something to do outside that I enjoyed. Since then I've lost count on how many I've done and I still enjoy it and still learn with every one. I just picked up another last week from a TBHer and started a build. Here's a before picture with all the golf related stuff stripped off. Hope to have it done in a couple of weeks.

Bowslayer I have a question for you. I have a 98 Club Car DS. Upgraded controller, upgraded D&D (I think) torque motor, HD F&R switch and solenoid, 2 gauge cables, lift & 22" tires.

Anyway, last season it had a 3 year old set of Trojan 875 batteries in it. During the summer I could get around 20 miles +/- hauling around 2 people, feed, etc. as it started getting colder it would still get 12-15 miles. Toward the end of season I started losing speed and battery life. I assumed the batteries were going out. So in September of this year I replaced all the batteries with a brand new set of Trojan Ranger 160 batteries which are supposed to give me up to 40% more run time between charges. I'm told that they replaced the previous model 890 batteries. Immediately i noticed that I was not getting as much run time as my old 875s. It got so bad that last weekend in the cold I only got 4 miles and list 50% of my charge.

Is there anything I need to look for that may be causing excessive current draw? Could it be a bad battery or two? I paid a LOT of money for these batteries and so far I'm NOT happy at all.

Suggestions?
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #153
Bucksaw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jacksonville, Jasper, or Wherever Im invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Bowslayer I have a question for you. I have a 98 Club Car DS. Upgraded controller, upgraded D&D (I think) torque motor, HD F&R switch and solenoid, 2 gauge cables, lift & 22" tires.

Anyway, last season it had a 3 year old set of Trojan 875 batteries in it. During the summer I could get around 20 miles +/- hauling around 2 people, feed, etc. as it started getting colder it would still get 12-15 miles. Toward the end of season I started losing speed and battery life. I assumed the batteries were going out. So in September of this year I replaced all the batteries with a brand new set of Trojan Ranger 160 batteries which are supposed to give me up to 40% more run time between charges. I'm told that they replaced the previous model 890 batteries. Immediately i noticed that I was not getting as much run time as my old 875s. It got so bad that last weekend in the cold I only got 4 miles and list 50% of my charge.

Is there anything I need to look for that may be causing excessive current draw? Could it be a bad battery or two? I paid a LOT of money for these batteries and so far I'm NOT happy at all.

Suggestions?
Batteries require a break-in process to get full potential out of them. It could be that you just haven't gotten them broken in fully yet, where your other ones had been broken in for a while.

Make sure you go over to cartsunlimited.net and check out Scotty's breakin process. That's the one that I used and the batteries are still holding strong going on 3 years.
Bucksaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #154
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith and Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

Suggestions?
Like Bucksaw said they need to be broken in properly first. Charge them often and try not to let them deep discharge before charging. Did I mention to charge them often? If you ride it for 5 minutes or 2 hours charge it. You can't charge too much. Other than that I would put a volt meter on the pack and watch it when you are driving to see if it drops voltage under load. You very well could have a bad battery.
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #155
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

One more thought Mike. Make sure your cart rolls freely. You may have a brake dragging or bearing issue.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #156
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Ok, 2 more thoughts. Your charger may not be working correctly. Check the voltage of the pack right after charging and again 12 hours after charging. You can pm me if you need help with anything.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #157
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
Ok, 2 more thoughts. Your charger may not be working correctly. Check the voltage of the pack right after charging and again 12 hours after charging. You can pm me if you need help with anything.
After the season i want to change my 36 to 48. Put me a list of things Ill need to do this with out changing the motor please.

Also mine rides rough and the shocks on front seam to bottom out . How can I fix this problem?

I just put new batteries in mine and it seams sluggish too. I will charge it often like you said.

You are the Covert/Golf cart Guru !
Old 11-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #158
louieagarcia
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Planet Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
Also mine rides rough and the shocks on front seam to bottom out . How can I fix this problem?
Dave, one way to fix would be to go with coil over spring shocks. I bought a pair on ebay for the front and they are solid. A little stiff but I think they should last a while. Good luck on the conversion buddy!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-TXT-Med...-/261236112569
Attached Images

louieagarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #159
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
After the season i want to change my 36 to 48. Put me a list of things Ill need to do this with out changing the motor please.

I just put new batteries in mine and it seams sluggish too. I will charge it often like you said.

You are the Covert/Golf cart Guru !
First, what kind of cart and which drive system do you have?
Old 11-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #160
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default Show off your golf cart mods

Quote:
One more thought Mike. Make sure your cart rolls freely. You may have a brake dragging or bearing issue.

Quote:

I've checked for mechanical binding and all is good there.

Funny you mention about the charging. I am having to replace the charging receptacle on it because the sensing wire came loose from it. Not sure if it's progressively been going bad but I'm hoping that is the solution. I had noticed that even with 70% battery power that even charging overnight the charger was not cutting off like it wasn't fully charging.

I have been keeping a 2A maintenance charger/desulfator on it for the last 2 weeks or so. I'll see if that has helped this weekend.

I've checked all the connection on the battery and they are all tight. Probably need to check the connections on the controller and motor as well.

Last edited by Mike D; 11-21-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #161
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Thanks Louie,
I have a e- z go txt 96 model.

Here are some pics.
I found a camo Cordura tarp one time at northern freight. I had enough to make the seat covers, doors and front to back cover.

I used 3/4 inch tubing for the door frames. I cut the tarp myself and had a place sew the seams and zipper in the windows.

I put button snaps along the front and back bumpers to secure it down.

It's 12 years old now and seen it's better days but still works great as a portable blind
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #162
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks Louie,
I have a e- z go txt 96 model.

Here are some pics.
I found a camo Cordura tarp one time at northern freight. I had enough to make the seat covers, doors and front to back cover.

I used 3/4 inch tubing for the door frames. I cut the tarp myself and had a place sew the seams and zipper in the windows.

I put button snaps along the front and back bumpers to secure it down.

It's 12 years old now and seen it's better days but still works great as a portable blind
Nice cart but if I'm looking at the pictures correctly that's not a 1996 model. It looks to me like the steering rack is mounted on the front axle and they started doing that in 2001. Also still need to know which drive system you have. If you don't know how to tell if you can post a picture of the battery compartment I can tell you.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #163
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
Nice cart but if I'm looking at the pictures correctly that's not a 1996 model. It looks to me like the steering rack is mounted on the front axle and they started doing that in 2001. Also still need to know which drive system you have. If you don't know how to tell if you can post a picture of the battery compartment I can tell you.
It might be 01, I'm a mechanical idiot. I will post a pic,
thanks BS , oh wait, Bow Slayer
Old 11-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #164
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Default here ya go

Name that year
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #165
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Name that year
2001 or newer and it has the standard series drive system. To go to 48 volts you need ...

2 more 6 volt batteries
48 volt controller
48 volt solenoid
48 volt charger

Might as well go with a heavy duty solenoid and HD f/r switch.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #166
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
2001 or newer and it has the standard series drive system. To go to 48 volts you need ...

2 more 6 volt batteries
48 volt controller
48 volt solenoid
48 volt charger

Might as well go with a heavy duty solenoid and HD f/r switch.
Slayer, l need a name brother.
What's a ball park figure on cost of these items
Thanks for your help.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #167
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks for your help.
I'm out to dinner and a movie with the wife but I'll get you a list and prices tonight or tomorrow.

Hal
Old 11-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #168
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Enjoy yourself, no rush at all.
Thanks Hal
David
Old 11-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #169
Stickslinga84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards county

OK guys, Yalll have incited a riot at my place now! If you were to buy a project cart, what would you look for and ballpark price range. I want it for the lease, wife wants it for Port A in the summers. 1,2,3......GO!
Stickslinga84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #170
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks for your help.
Alltrax AXE 4844 Controller (400 amp)- $368
MZJ-200 Solenoid (200 amp)- $42
HD Forward/Reverse Switch- $188 (You can also replace the cam only)
DPI 48 volt Charger- $268
Complete 4 awg cable set- $100

And of course the price of the 2 extra batteries will vary depending on what you buy.

All these parts/prices came from the site I use the most... http://www.evdrives.com/Default.asp

Keep in mind that you can sell the parts you take off to get some of your money back. A good used ezgo 36 volt charger will sell for around $200 all day. You can also sell your stock controller easily.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #171
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickslinga84 View Post
OK guys, Yalll have incited a riot at my place now! If you were to buy a project cart, what would you look for and ballpark price range. I want it for the lease, wife wants it for Port A in the summers. 1,2,3......GO!
If you want it for a project just stick to the top 3 brands (ezgo, club car, yamaha) and look the frame over good for rust/corrosion. As long as you get a solid cart you can build the rest to what you want. As far as price goes, that's a crapshoot. I have bought nice carts that need batteries for as little as $400 but they are hard to find that cheap these days. A good cart that needs batteries would be at a fair price around the $1000-$1200 range. It also depends on where you are located. Prices vary quite a bit from one area to the next.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #172
Cabela
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

I took mine to the lease this weekend in Lampasas. We got dumped on pretty good Saturday. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with what it went through for a 2wd. Didn't think it could, but wow. I'm sure you can stick it if you want to. Thought I had it stuck where I parked it for the afternoon hunt. Didn't make it out easy, but it got out.
Cabela is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #173
Stickslinga84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards county

Quote:
If you want it for a project just stick to the top 3 brands (ezgo, club car, yamaha) and look the frame over good for rust/corrosion. As long as you get a solid cart you can build the rest to what you want. As far as price goes, that's a crapshoot. I have bought nice carts that need batteries for as little as $400 but they are hard to find that cheap these days. A good cart that needs batteries would be at a fair price around the $1000-$1200 range. It also depends on where you are located. Prices vary quite a bit from one area to the next.
Any specific year models to look/lookout for
Stickslinga84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #174
horns07
Ten Point

Hunt In: SE New Mexico, Robert Lee

Are yall mainly finding yalls carts around town or buying of eBay.
horns07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #175
bohemianthunder
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Northeast Texas

Here she is before and after a new basket, tinted windscreen and a half of can of paint on the marine speakers. Amazing the difference. LEDs and Rod holders are next.
Attached Images

bohemianthunder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2015, 05:06 AM   #176
kashmoney
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ole faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemianthunder View Post
Here she is before and after a new basket, tinted windscreen and a half of can of paint on the marine speakers. Amazing the difference. LEDs and Rod holders are next.
Nice cart!
kashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2015, 05:16 PM   #177
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Quote:
Ha, I'm no Jedi. Thanks for the compliments though. I just bought one to fix up a few years ago and it gave me something to do outside that I enjoyed. Since then I've lost count on how many I've done and I still enjoy it and still learn with every one. I just picked up another last week from a TBHer and started a build. Here's a before picture with all the golf related stuff stripped off. Hope to have it done in a couple of weeks.

How did it turn out?
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #178
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods101 View Post
How did it turn out?
Pretty good.

Just lifted it and added a rear cargo basket. Another TBHer owns it now.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #179
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Much better!
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #180
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Another

Old 02-26-2015, 06:40 PM   #181
txstringbender
Ten Point

Hunt In: Currently Without

This is my 2008 Club Car XTR850. It is stock with a 14 HP Kawasaki motor, heavy duty rear springs, and camo dip (starting to fade). I've modded it with a shorter top, 2500 winch, aux batteries, list goes on.

Sorry for the small pic. Tap the pic to make it bigger.

Last edited by txstringbender; 02-26-2015 at 06:49 PM.
txstringbender is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #182
woodsman08
Six Point

Hunt In: Falfurrias & Brenham

Quote:
Another

Bowslayer - would you mind giving the year of this cart and what lift / tires and rims you went with? I just picked up a 2004 Club Car 48v that is in pretty good shape and am currently looking at upgrade options. Never worked on carts before, so hoping I ended up with a decent starting point.
woodsman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #183
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman08 View Post
Bowslayer - would you mind giving the year of this cart and what lift / tires and rims you went with? I just picked up a 2004 Club Car 48v that is in pretty good shape and am currently looking at upgrade options. Never worked on carts before, so hoping I ended up with a decent starting point.
That one is an ezgo. If I remember correctly I put a Allsports spindle lift on it. It has Sahara classic at tires on basic black steel wheels. I only use Allsports or Jakes for lifts because they are the only 2 American made lifts. If you have more questions drop me a pm and i'll see if I can help. I'm working on a 2005 club car right now myself.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:47 PM   #184
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:
Pretty good.

Just lifted it and added a rear cargo basket. Another TBHer owns it now.
That would be me. Here's how it looks now.
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #185
mm5455
Eight Point

Hunt In: George West Texas,Liberty County

Attachment 698619

Last edited by mm5455; 12-24-2015 at 02:06 PM.
mm5455 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #186
mm5455
Eight Point

Attachment 698620

Old 03-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #187
mm5455
Eight Point

Attachment 698621

Old 03-07-2015, 05:53 PM   #188
coyoto_h
Four Point

How long are new batteries good for?
coyoto_h is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #189
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

My batteries are four years old and I can go at least 12 miles on them.
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2016, 12:18 AM   #190
ryanwood08
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings

Bump!
ryanwood08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2016, 03:05 AM   #191
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.
Default mine

Before:
Name:  2016-01-04 11.44.23.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  79.6 KB

After:

Name:  2016-01-04 11.48.39.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  106.9 KB

My 15 year old son and I did this this past summer. Still have a few things to do before complete. It's an '02 48V Club Car DS w/ 500 amp programable contoller and a 2012 motor. It's the same motor that goes in the Hunt V's, 6" Jakes double A Arm lift, 23" Carlisle tires. Still to come is clay basket, winch, front replacement bumper, Go Light mounted on roof, and limited slip differential.

Last edited by Pullersboy; 03-04-2016 at 03:12 AM.
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #192
offthemap
Ten Point

Hunt In: Houston, Anderson, Cherokee, Smith, Knox, Foard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullersboy View Post
Before:

My 15 year old son and I did this this past summer. Still have a few things to do before complete. It's an '02 48V Club Car DS w/ 500 amp programable contoller and a 2012 motor. It's the same motor that goes in the Hunt V's, 6" Jakes double A Arm lift, 23" Carlisle tires. Still to come is clay basket, winch, front replacement bumper, Go Light mounted on roof, and limited slip differential.

Looks good! Does this year model CC have the aluminum frame?
offthemap is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2016, 12:36 AM   #193
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

Yes sir, it does.
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #194
BDann
Six Point

Hunt In: Kansas, all over Texas

If anyone is looking for a good electric cart I have one that I would like to sell. 48V, lifted, fresh batteries, heavy duty cables and performance part. PM me for details.
BDann is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #195
TxTyler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Williamson, and Crockett County

I'm in the process of fixing up a 2007 EZGO TXT Gas cart. What size utility trailer will I need? I'm limited on garage space (length wise) so was thinking a 5'x8' route and possibly back the cart up in to the trailer to make it fit if it's a bit long. I'll be adding a 6" Jake lift with 22" tires and 12" rims, with the back seat. Just wanting to make sure it will fit on the trailer before I purchase the trailer.

What have others used or found to work best for transport? What length and width can I be expecting on the cart when it's all said and done?
TxTyler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2016, 04:50 PM   #196
ballgame
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
I use mine out in the big wheat fields as a rolling blind. We call it the Bait and wait wagon.
looks great
ballgame is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2016, 05:57 PM   #197
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Delivering this one to a TBHer tomorrow.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:26 PM   #198
navajo76
Six Point

Hunt In: anywhere

Great work
navajo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #199
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Archer County

Bowslayer, do you make or buy the front baskets?
huntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-15-2016, 07:40 PM   #200
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntmaster View Post
Bowslayer, do you make or buy the front baskets?

I buy them. They are Madjax Brand.