Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-12-2018, 03:50 PM   #51
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead & Timpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbl3 View Post
Snap-On vs Harbor Freight
This comparison made me chuckle
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #52
RaginCagin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Louisiana

Id rather have a Tasco before another vortex. I had absolutely terrible luck with the ones I had. Their customer service was great but 2 scopes in a months time that fell apart and fogged up inside during our prime rut. They sent me a more expensive model but its still in the box in the gun cabinet. Don't trust Vortex enough to mount it on another gun.
RaginCagin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #53
Terry
Ten Point

Already reached out to Arrowsmith and will post the pros and cons, like I said I have a pair of Swaro’s and my son has a Leica I can compare. I already believe Vortex glass will not be as good, but I don’t believe Swaro or Leica will be “100” times better in a bow hunting scenario
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #54
samson33
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Already reached out to Arrowsmith and will post the pros and cons, like I said I have a pair of Swaro’s and my son has a Leica I can compare. I already believe Vortex glass will not be as good, but I don’t believe Swaro or Leica will be “100” times better in a bow hunting scenario
Again, depends on your application and scenario. I only bow hunt. Some of my hunts consist of glassing from 1000's of yds away for days at a time.

From a tree stand while whitetail hunting, only difference that would even matter would be dusk and dawn. Spot and stalk across North America......no comparison.
samson33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #55
ranchdog
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Never had a problem with Vortex. For the price, I would put them up against Sworvski's any day. No one here will agree with me, but that's fine.

My own anecdotal evidence was elk hunting last year, when I was able to see tines from my Vortex bino's and our guide couldn't see anything besides color of the elk's back out of his Swarovski's. Guide used my bino's and was able to see the tines.
I had a similar experience with a Leupold scope and a Zeiss conquest. I had been shooting on the 200 yard range and couldn't see my bullet holes on the paper thru the Leupold scope, which didn't bother me really as I have a spotting scope, however, the Leupold wouldn't hold zero and I returned it to Cabela's and got a Ziess Conquest. Go to the 200 yard range and I can see every single shot no problem. I realized how much better glass that Zeiss had. I couldn't tell just looking thru the scopes before any difference but the holes told the real story. I buy Zeiss scopes now.

RD
ranchdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #56
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

I do not know a thing about Leica warranty, had my 10 x 42 with range finder since they came out, what is that, maybe 15 years or more ? Never a problem and they been to Alaska, Canada, Yukon Territories, Mexico, and all over the U S.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 11:34 PM   #57
Terry
Ten Point

Don’t believe I will spot and stalk in South Texas
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #58
Russ
Pope & Young

I purposely went to Cabelas to purchase the Fury binos. After comparing the glass quality to leica......I honestly was disgusted. For a difference of $200 you can get rangefinding leica binos. Only bad thing about that leica model was the button was on the left side unlike the higher end leica with the button on the right.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #59
Lawhunter
Ten Point

I like my vortex optics, but Leica wins hands down.
Lawhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #60
catslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawhunter View Post
I like my vortex optics, but Leica wins hands down.
Yeah my thought as well...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #61
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Buy what you can afford without breaking the bank or taking out a loan.. I have found that the more I spend the more clear and precise they SURELY MUST be..
That's what I have convinced myself to think anyway.. I have to justify the extra $$$ to myself somehow.. When in reality I was making deadly 400-600 yard shots way back before long shots were COOL, before the internet, and before I had much money, and those shots were made with $150 Bushnell or Simmons scopes..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #62
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

Leica. Leica. Leica.

I do appreciate and own both products, for different reasons.

I also own a Honda and a Ford Limited, for different reasons.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 10:27 AM   #63
Nelson
Six Point

Zeiss and Leica for a high end budget then Swarovski for no budget. I have all major brands and two pair of vortex binos and scopes. I would buy Leica for the price and consistency of products. My elk hunting Leica small 10x25 that are 30 years old are awesome. My new geo 10x42 rangefinder binos will range a tree at 1800 yards.

The Vortex binos sit in the truck because they are the less valuable to me. If they get stolen or loss I will not beat myself up.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #64
CEO
Ten Point

Vortex has done a great job with their marketing. They're essentially a lifestyle brand for a lot of guys that hunt the west.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top