Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 05-25-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
robert13t
Eight Point

Hunt In: backyard
Default Criteria for thinning the herd

Recently there was a thread about too many bows. I fall into that category with not just bows but motorcycles and guns too. While I am some what of a vagabond at this point I am learning that I have too much stuff in general and you can't take it with you and the family doesn't want to sort through it.

So the question is if you had to keep only one bow you have, which one and why? What makes it the one? Post pics too.

I've narrowed it down to two... I'll post pics as soon I shoot them to decide.
robert13t is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

This should be fun.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
RJH1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Abilene area

Nothing wrong with having a couple, if you were at that point I would call it good. My criteria however would just be do I shoot it, or does it just sit around with no real purpose
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #4
robert13t
Eight Point

Mine just sit except for a few. I have a nice bow rack to display them. I see them as hand made works of art. That's why I have so many.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Ronnie
Six Point

Hunt In: La. & Texas

I don't think you can have too many bows and I know for fact you can't have too many bikes!

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2018, 07:53 PM   #6
DRT
Pope & Young

I sold most of my rifles, shotguns and handguns. I bought only guns I will shoot, can shoot or need to shoot.
I won't own bows that are "works of art". I love to shoot my bows but their real purpose is to draw blood so if I can enjoy shooting it and shoot it relatively well it won't stay long.
I've got about 30 rods and reels I need to sell off soon too.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:18 PM   #7
robert13t
Eight Point

I assume you mean can't DRT? I didn't mean works of art as I won't shoot them but that they are good looking bows too. I don't care how good it looks if I can't shoot it well and it doesn't lay in the hand right, it's gone.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:08 PM   #8
robert13t
Eight Point

I have a love for Jack Kempf bows. I have a Raven that I have long and recurve limbs for. I mainly shoot the recurve limbs but I got it custom build for me with a cocobolo riser. I shoot the kwyk styk better but if I had to sell them all I would keep the Raven. I don't shoot it that much worse plus the set of two limbs makes it very versatile.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #9
robert13t
Eight Point

Here is the runner up. The kwyk styk. Did I mention that I am a big fan of static recurves too. They just seem to add a little more quickness and authority to the arrow.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2018, 04:42 PM   #10
DRT
Pope & Young

No I meant what I said. I don't want one I'm afraid to scratch or that I'll devalue it with normal wear. I need it to be able to take the same use and abuse I do. And keep on killing. Just like I do.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:14 PM   #11
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

Good Stuff. I was fortunate enough to find a couple of guys REALLY interested in bows and handed them each one to start with. My collection has been getting smaller and at this point I have two primary that I will keep. MY Longbow from Jeff Freeman that was made to my order and a really nice Hummingbird I picked up for well worth the price. They shoot nothing alike, and look nothing alike, but feel terrific in the hand. DRT both of these are real beauties to look at, but that has absolutely no hold on taking it to the woods and using it. That's what I bought them for. Really, the only one left that I would say could go is the heavier longbow I bought just to have a heavier work out stick, it's 68 @ 28 and a mild R/D long bow.
Pics are of my two favorites.
Attached Images

Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2018, 10:29 PM   #12
robert13t
Eight Point

Dry Bones good to see some else likes the manly pink gold tip blemish arrows. I enjoy them myself.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:50 PM   #13
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

Those Pink Blems are what I took the 6 point in the other pic as well. Pink does not slow me down one bit. AND nothing in the natural world where I hunt is that color.
I have moved to woods since just before Turkey season started and... Well I may be hooked on woodies, and keep a couple Pinks, just in case.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2018, 05:32 AM   #14
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

I love playing with different bow designs so I usually have at least six bows on the shooter rack. I also love vintage bows and have fifty or sixty vintage Bears, some of which will not leave until I do and others that are inventory for trading. The too much stuff idea has been bugging me for several years so I try to haul off a pickup load or two a year and donate it to Christians in action or the church garage sale. At the current rate of attrition there will still be enough left for a nice estate sale someday.

The way that I chose what can go is by asking myself if I use the item or if there is any desire to use the item. If not, it gets sold or donated.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2018, 02:21 PM   #15
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

For me it is pretty simple. Above anything else, when it comes to archery, I love to hunt. Because of that, I really only have 1 bow at the moment. It is my Blackwidow PCH - 50#/28". Before that I shot a Sammick Sage, which I don't use for anything other than bowfishing. I have a longbow that I have taken a few small critters with, but it is a pain (literally) to shoot so I don't. I have it because you just never know when you have to have a long bow to shoot (think 3D).

I don't have any plans to and haven't yet bought another recurve because there just isn't any reason to... I have and will continue to kill critters with my widow.

I would like to find a longbow that suits me one of these days... but I still drag my feet on that because at the end of the day... I like killing stuff and my widow does just fine in that department.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2018, 11:00 PM   #16
Hurricanebow
Spike

Hunt In: Parker County

I have a Thunderstick III made by Jim Reynolds that is fun to shoot. It's not the most beautiful bow you ever laid eyes on (though it's not ugly by any means), but it does have a pretty cool set of what I believe to be timber rattler skins on it (I bought it used). I also have a Windstorm Archery Santa Ana recurve that is a beauty. It has bocote veneers front and back with a cocobolo and phenolic riser. It looks like an African Sable and has the lines of a graceful dancer. When I bought it used it was described as "quiet as a ninja and fast." It lives up to the hype. It was made by a bowyer named Tom Cable who was apparently ahead of his time. It also shoots where I look, most of the time. I guess I'd have to keep it, but maybe I could have one recurve and one longbow.
Hurricanebow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2018, 08:04 AM   #17
robert13t
Eight Point

I am moving and still trying to figure out of getting rid of a few vows is the right move. I have such a smooth rer xr that I'm not sure I want to let go. I also have a soft spot for short bows. Not sure I want to part with a 48" check mate hunter I have. I don't shoot either very much is the thing.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #18
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
...so if I can enjoy shooting it and shoot it relatively well it won't stay long
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
No I meant what I said...
Did you even reread what you wrote? You said if you CAN enjoy a bow it doesn't last. So according to that statement, you keep bows you can't enjoy or shoot well. That is why robert asked if you meant can't .

I still have about 9 bows. Many of them are bows I made so I can't bring myself to sell them. One because there is no real value there. But two since I don't make bows anymore, I plan to pass them along to my nephews some day.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #19
robert13t
Eight Point

I do like the idea of passing along bow to family. My wife and I had a wonderful Elkhart made by Javaman that we intended to pass on but I couldn't shoot it without hitting my arm so it got sold. I just hate to see them sit especially if I know I don't shoot them well. If they sit and I shoot them well it takes me a lot longer to think about letting them go. That's the problem I am having with the checkmate and rer.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #20
DRT
Pope & Young

If you can't infer what I meant even if the auto correct isn't perfect then I'm okay with that. As bad as I shoot I may need to thin them all though.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #21
robert13t
Eight Point

I will say that there is something very freeing about getting rid of stuff. It releases some stress and allows me to focus on the items I keep instead of such divided attention. I think I will be going through my guns soon too. The problem I have is that most of the things I have are good quality and work well so getting rid of one is always a hard choice.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #22
JEFFRO
Ten Point

Hunt In: can't say it's a secret

only 1, nope cant to it...
1 longbow
1 recurve
1 composit.
now what to do with the other 25 or so...
JEFFRO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #23
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFRO View Post
only 1, nope cant to it...
1 longbow
1 recurve
1 composit.
now what to do with the other 25 or so...
Just hold onto them. I'm sure other shooters will get much better price from your wife or kids after you croak.