Certified Welder help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
    I used to be certified because I got forced to get my papers. I rarely admit I was a welder. No need to spend money on schooling. All you need to do is act like your shat don't stink and b*tch about every little thing and act like a diva and you got it made. THe more you act like a woman the better welder you will be assumed to be. Pm me and you can send a check for the money I saved ya
    Well im sorry to hear welding did not work for ya but there is plenty of people who would say different. I believe its a great career choice

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      My son is currently at Tulsa Welding School.

Not cheap but supposed to be one of the best in the nation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      They've been around for almost 70 years and have a great reputation. I understand they have a Houston campus. If you can swing it financially I would think it would give a big head start when finding a job.

Comment

Originally posted by Smith2001 View Post
        Those are some amazing beads
        Not bad for a rollout in a shop[emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well im sorry to hear welding did not work for ya but there is plenty of people who would say different. I believe its a great career choice
          Are you wanting to work in a shop, weld on a pipeline, build bridges or work in refineries?

Comment

It is a great career choice that served me well for a number of years. There are just a lot of divas out there. I don't like a bunch of BS so they just got on my nerves is all I was saying sir. Nothing but well wishes for anyone looking to get in to the industry

Comment

I took classes at Alvin community college then went to work and learned more on the job in the field. I highly recommend looking at getting certified in NDE (non destructive testing) instead of welding or perhaps do both. I have been a welding Inspector for 15 years now and do not miss welding at all. If you can get into QA/QC work it is a great path forward. That being said a few years as a welder will greatly help your understanding of QA/QC work and fab environments. Good luck!

Comment

There's some smaller schools who will teach you what you need to know and get you up to snuff and in the plants a lot quicker and cheaper.
                All you really need to know is how to burn rods and pass x-rays.

Comment

And there's no such thing as a certified welder.
                  Because you have to CERTIFIE for every new job.

Comment

My wife learned to weld in the Navy. After military, she welded at a shop using TIG. Welded aluminum seat post and live wells for Ranger boats. That was may years ago. There are many places to learn. Learn all you can be the best you can.

Good luck on a wise choice for your future.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                      Are you wanting to work in a shop, weld on a pipeline, build bridges or work in refineries?
                      This is important---Tulsa will teach you welding--they do not do certifications. some schools teach you and get you certs.

I have never heard of a welding job that you could get with certs alone. The ones I have heard about will make you take a welding test, then do an interview, then take a drug test.

If you can't pass the welding test then you are done, no matter if you have certs or not.

Let me know if I can help--I teach High School welding.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post

Yeppers.....and you never want to get certified on mig!

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
                          I used to be certified because I got forced to get my papers. I rarely admit I was a welder. No need to spend money on schooling. All you need to do is act like your shat don't stink and b*tch about every little thing and act like a diva and you got it made. THe more you act like a woman the better welder you will be assumed to be. Pm me and you can send a check for the money I saved ya
                          Lmao

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post

This isn't entirely accurate...

Let's not confuse "certification" with "qualification". Welders have qualification papers, not certification papers. Even if someone is certified to do something, doesn't mean they're also qualified. BIG difference!

Yes, most pipelines or welding shops require welder qualification, some companies will honor other company's welder WQTR's (welder qualification test records).

i.e. Billy Bob is qualified in AWS D1.1 (structural code) with ABC Building Company. He has a copy of his qualification papers and quits, thus going to XYZ Building Company. With papers in hand, and XYZ accepts those qualification papers, he's qualified to weld for XYZ as long as it's the same base metal, same filler metal and in the same position as the WQTR qualification range is good for. That is IF XYZ has a qualified procedure in place for the same material, joint design and filler metal.

This goes on all the time in the pipeline industry but the major companies won't allow welder qualifications to leave the office because they (the company) paid for the pipe and the CWI to qualify the welder.

As I've been in the welding inspection industry for over 25 years and a CWI for 18 of those years. I think they should have a universal qualification to go from gas company to gas company BUT the question is, who should be liable to pay for it? And another thing, API needs to get rid of that **** branch test!!

To answer the OP's question, Tulsa is a good school but they don't stay on one welding process for more than 2 weeks. It's a LOT of information to learn. Kilgore College has a good welding program from what I hear.
                              Wherever you decide to go, keep your mind on the horizon!! (if you've ever taken a 6G test, you'll appreciate that bit of advice)

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                                I weld for a living and been doing it for 22 years. I cant speak what school to go to because I learned on the job but I have been tig welding stainless pipe and exotics for last 12 years and thats what I would recommend you learn along with stick in case you want to weld in the plants. We do nothing but tig weld on multi point thermocouples and thermowells for refineries around the world. Climate controlled shop and pay is really good. I can't stress enough, learn to tig weld. Here is a few pics of what we build on a daily basis.
                                Those are some **** good looking welds!

Comment

Working...
                                X