S Texas/First point advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S Texas/First point advice

I'm heading to first point on Sunday. I've never hunted from a brush or ground blind with a bow before. I've searched on here and read multiple threads. Seems I need to brush it in, then when I think I'm done brush some more. Any other tips or advise? I'm bringing my pop up, any other essentials? Any trees down there I could put my Lone Wolf or portable ladder stand in?

Thanks starting to get excited!

Not any trees that big down there. You need a 6 ft tripod. When using a pop up. Brush it in till it is completely gone. I'm talking nothing showing at all. Cut your brush from another area not where you are setting up. The deer notice the cut branches. Use very small shooting holes. Play the wind and go easy on the Corning keep the deer moving.

Comment

Brush brush brush brush.... then more brush. Hunt the wind. Scatter corn like Bo does on the feed route. If you put out more corn than he does, they will avoid you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Aim low. They duck hard on a shot. And don’t get busted. They have eyes in the back of their head

Comment

There are different types of brush you can use to brush it in. I've found you don't have to go too overboard if you use one of the evergreen. Not sure what they are called there are so **** many.

If you use just straight mesquite you have to put some extra effort into it. Good news is brush is probably plentiful so it wont be that hard to do.

from there use some cover scents and you are usually good to go. Wind will almost always be from the south/south east, but if a cool front is coming in then expect it from north north east.

Just keep that in mind when you are setting up your blind.

Comment

I’ll be there this weekend . If you set up on feed route I try to get back off road atleast 15 yards or so and make your shooting holes small. I wouldn’t use the pop up unless u have to. And if you do make sure you don’t even know it’s there bc they will spot it before u ever see them and they will walk right around your area and feed down the road past you...

Comment

Same pointers as always. I may try this place next year... good luck keep us posted if you can

Comment

Yeah, anyone going needs to update us. I’ll be there 12-15th. Rut will be getting close. There will be torn up trees all down the creeks.

Comment

I wouldn't use a pop up. Anywhere around the feeder that that looks good to set up on, there is a 99% chance there is already a brush blind set up, for any wind direction. Also, if you are going to hand corn, use regular(no apple) scented corn. Don't pile it either. These deer are smart, if they see anything out of the ordinary, they will go into the brush and wont get back on the road till they are well past you. Bo corns the roads at about 85 MPH. It's crazy the distance you can hear them crunching.

Comment

Take a good pair of gloves to work in. Nothing grows in that country that doesn’t have thorns.

Comment

all the above and then some more effort and X4 no Ground Blind

Comment

Leave the pop up blind at home. These deer are smart and constantly on alert. Make a natural blind. You will probably find one that won't need much to make it work. If you cut a limb do it at an angle that the cut won't be visible from where you expect the deer to be. If they see fresh cuts they will leave. Bring a shovel and get low to the ground. Don't over corn. Good luck!

Comment

I've only been there once but what I can offer is wherever you sit if you here crunching in one directions just go ahead and get situated in the opposite direction for a shot. 2 times I was ready in one direction only to see it was yearlings feeding and when I looked the other direction low and behold shooter buck looking right at me. BUSTED!!

Comment

Working...
                          X