How do I get rid of this weed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get rid of this weed?

Not real sure what the exact name is because when I ask somebody, I always get a different answer. I’ve sprayed with remedy and red diesel, but it keeps coming back. I’ve had less trouble getting rid of the huisache in the yard (that was no easy task either though). Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like green briar. Green briar is good deer food.

Comment

Yes, that is green briar. Hard to get rid of because of its woody root tuber. May want to google recommended herbicide or contact county agent for recommendation.

Comment

those are Wait A Minute Vines.

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
          Looks like green briar. Green briar is good deer food.
          looks like green briar to me too. Put up a feeder and the deer will eat this ground before they start on the corn.

Comment

Hot bacon grease. Clip it short and pour hot bacon grease on it. It will kill it dead.

Comment

I started 5 years ago with millions growing up into trees and across the ground of what I can now call my yard. I still battle with them but not near as bad. If you cut them and then spray right after they are cut you have a better chance of killing them. If you have several coming up in close proximity there is likely a root ball close that needs to be dug up. The root ball is between the size of a golf ball and baseball and looks like something only the devil could make. The bad part about trying to find the root iS the vine will travel under ground for a long ways before it comes out of the ground. Just keep cutting and spraying and you will eventually win. I use remedy as well. Good luck!

Comment

StickNString...Briar. Its tough as nails and Roundup doesnt seem to phase it. Weird thing is the only thing Ive seen kill these is when I fertilized my orchard and dumped some 21-0-0 on one to see if the fertilizer salt would do anything...and the salts burned the briar vine...dead. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by D C View Post
                  those are Wait A Minute Vines.

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                  Hot bacon grease. Clip it short and pour hot bacon grease on it. It will kill it dead.
                  I'd rather have the briars than waste my gravy grease.

Comment

The plant is greenbriar, from the Smilax family that include many different species. Very difficult to control, most broadcast applications do not work effectively. You'll have to use an individual plant treatment using 25% remedy and 75% diesel. Thoroughly wet the base of the plants.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post

I'd rather have the briars than waste my gravy grease.
                      This man has it figured out!!

Comment

Yep greenbriar. The soft tops are pretty good to eat. They taste similar to asparagus. That is if I can beat the deer to them.

Comment

Cimarron mixed with a surfactant will kill it and anything it gets on!

Comment

I have dug up most of them in my yard. Ha oh as much luck with spraying.

Comment

Do I need to snip it before I spray with the remedy & diesel mixture like I do the huisache? When I spray them, they die pretty quick, but they seem to come back in the same area real quick too. I suppose that's because of the long trailing root system.
                              Everywhere in my yard where these have been giving me issues is dirt and green briar. The remedy & diesel mixture is keeping everything else dead but these.

Comment

Working...
                              X