Alaskan DIY help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaskan DIY help

For the last 7 years every family vacation has been to Alaska to fish for 2 weeks in august. My parents fell in love with it so much that they bought some property on the Kenai river and built a house. Since then My dad, brother, and I have been dreaming of hunting up there. the first thing we want to try for is moose, more than likely a float trip, as this seems to be the best way to see the most country and chances at game.

My question is for all the guys on here that have taken on this task and done it if they could offer some insight? I have recently ordered 3 different DIY hunting books on Alaska, does anyone know of any that they would definitely recommend reading?

Pretty sure ya gota have a guide...but not taking bets..But being a land owner my negate..

Comment

Don't need guide on moose or caribou. I have done two float trips in Alaska. It was a blast. I just posted on a different tread about this not to long ago. Let me see if i can find it and attached the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
        Don't need guide on moose or caribou. I have done two float trips in Alaska. It was a blast. I just posted on a different tread about this not to long ago. Let me see if i can find it and attached the link.
        X2
        Guide is only needed for Brown Bear and most sheep

Comment

[fturl]http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663474&highlight=alaska[/url]
          This thread had some good info on it

1.You will need to decide on how long a float trip in miles and days. I would suggest 10 to 14 days if possible and no more than 50 miles on the river.

2 You will need to select a river. Different areas have different regulations in Alaska for nonresidents. Wolf predation year to year can have a big impact on moose numbers. So can winter kill. Once you get a couple of rivers in mine call the area biologist and talk to them about the areas you are looking at floating and ask about winter kill or wolf kill.

3 Decide on what type of boat. I would only go in a high quality inflatable or Cataraft. I like the Cataraft best with a rowing harness! You probably can rent one in Alaska. Ideally it would be two men to a raft. You could go three on one if it was a big raft or two rafts with four guys.

4 Start checking out the bush pilots/air operations in the area you want to go. You will more than likley be paying for a flight in and a flight to be picked up. Could have a moose or two also on the pick up. Lots of added weight for the moose= more flights= more dollars.

5 You need great gear especially for the tent. You will more than likely be breaking camp down with a wet tent at some point in the trip. It sucks. Need good rain gear.

6 Will you have any way to contact the air operator? satellite phone for emergency? Don't haft to have this but would be nice.

7 The logistics is the hard part. It makes it easier having family living there! The hunt is not to bad just don't walk to far off the river, stay close to the water!

8 Breaking camp down and moving gets old. That is why I would not do a 80 to 100 mile float anymore.
          With parents living there it will be easier on the meat transport after the hunt. It may get expensive for you to bring a lot of it back to the lower 48.

9. Portable electric fence for peace of mine at night sleeping in the tent for bear protection

The book I llisted on the above link covers everything you will need to know to a tee! It is great adventure!

Comment

Thanks killer! The one book you listed I could not find a copy, I’ve seen a picture of it but nobody has it. Where did you get it from?

The books I ordered were:
            Hunt Alaska now: self guiding for trophy moose and caribou
            Hunting in Alaska: a comprehensive guide
            A complete guide to float hunting Alaska, 2nd edition

Comment

I haven't done one yet, but will be next year. This year I'm flying in for a drop camp Caribou hunt.

Float Draggin' Alaska is the book I've got and it lays out some pretty good details. A lot of your questions I'm sure have been asked, but what are you specifics? I've been researching for about 2 years now. And am in the process of moving up to Anchorage.

Comment

Ive done 2 float trips so to speak and just put a down payment on my 3rd. PM me for more information. I live in Alaska as well so can give you some good insight.

Hugh

Comment

I've done a diy moose, a caribou, and two blackbear hunts up there. I'll say this, if you plan on doing a moose trip, you need partners and I would plan on taking just one moose between all of you unless you are going to make a two week trip. Someone who has never done it has no idea how much work butchering and packing out a moose is. Add to that that, in many parts of Alaska, you are not allowed to bone out quarters, and it becomes a monumental task. I would cut my teeth with a caribou hunt before I ventured into moose territory. Three years ago (the last time that I was there) there were no caribou herds within easy flying distance of Kenai. The caribou on the peninsula itself are draw tag only and very difficult tags to draw. Most people going for caribou are having to go way north or way west to Kotzebu. My understanding is that caribou herds in general are way down, and that's ashamed, because it used to be a fun and logistically easy hunt. Call Alaska Fish and Game, and they will put you in touch with a biologist for the area that you want to hunt. They are very helpful. Best of luck.

Comment

Killer makes some EXCELLENT points. Take heed of his recommendations.

I agree, no more that 50 miles. We did 125 river miles in 2016. We were in the raft way too much. Next year we are doing 45 miles. More time to hunt and spend time in good areas.

Last hunt was just me and a buddy. Next year, me, my son, my son-in-law and one of their buddies. I suggest no more than four people in a group, especially in a float hunt.

I like rafts over catarafts. Just my preference. I rent one from an outfitter. I could not find many vendors that rent rafts out of Fairbanks. I am sure they are available, but I could not find many.

Choose your air taxi well. What kind of planes do they fly? How much weight will it carry? Weight is CRITICAL. Some offer an "in and out" package. That will be more expensive. That means they will haul out everything you harvest. That is more trips and thus, more expensive.

Extensive planning and quality equipment is required. I am now knee deep into planning my 2019 hunt and we are still way over a year away. Quality, lightweight gear is not cheap. Buy it a little at a time.

I suggest a tepee type tent like Seek Outside or Kifaru. These have no floor. We used a Cabela's Alaskan Guide and it has too many poles and you have to crawl into it. Tepees, you just walk in.

Killer says Sat phone. I think this is a must as well as a well stocked first aid kit. Do your homework on a first aid kit.

He is also spot on about not taking a moose too far from the river. They are the size and weight of a Volvo!

We brought most everything we needed from home except for the raft. You would be surprised at what you think you need vs what you can get by with. Did I say weight is critical?

Learn to eat freeze dried food.

Killer says an electric fence. I am looking into that. We have never had any grizzly scares on hunting or fishing there but they are there. Fresh bear sign is everywhere and we found a lot around camp in mornings but never even heard them. We did bring a .44 Mag to help sleep well.

I strongly suggest at least a -20 degree sleeping bag. I prefer synthetic fill material. I don't trust the new waterproof down but again, I have not tried it.

Bring the very best raingear you can get.

The books are great and give you a lot of great information. Keep in mind when the books were written. Some are quite old and technology has changed especially in terms of equipment.

If you like, feel free to contact me to discuss. Once you go, you will go again. Good luck.

Comment

Moose, black bears, blacktail deer, caribou are all unguided.

You need bowhunter safety to bowhunt.

Most air taxis book over a year in advance. Theres a reason they still have spots 6-9 months out.

Most everything is online at this point, I dont think you can get a ton of information from books. Spend more time researching and talking to air taxis.

Moose are huge. Dont try to carry one very far.

Comment

In y'alls experience with the bush/float planes, is it best to just shop around whoever offers the best deal for the money or gong with a well reviewed reputable charter?

How are these type of deals I listed the link above? Or is this just a plane charter service they advertise to certain units?

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                          In y'alls experience with the bush/float planes, is it best to just shop around whoever offers the best deal for the money or gong with a well reviewed reputable charter?

How are these type of deals I listed the link above? Or is this just a plane charter service they advertise to certain units?
                          This is the most reputable that I know of. They are not cheap, but Doug knows his stuff. I have been on trips with him several times. He is a great source of knowledge if you want to do a drop camp.

Comment

I think you go with the most reputable and exactly what they can do for you. They are all pricey. Air taxi is the most expensive part of a DIY hunt. Try to find out how long they have been in business.

Comment

I've used Alaska West Air for numerous fly out fishing trips and it has always been nothing but great and first class.

You guys that have done float trips as well as drop camps what do y'all prefer? I read an article from a guide of over 20 years this morning that he preferred drop camps over float trips because you could hunt less pressured area since most DIY hunters hunt by the river. With that being said I feel like you would really need to know your units and the land?

Comment

Working...
                              X