Going after a Texas Pronghorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going after a Texas Pronghorn

I'll be hunting opening weekend just east of Amarillo.
    I'm taking my Ruger American Predator 6.5 CM. Sighted in with 143 ELD-X. Zeroed at 100 yards, I have the dope on the scope out to 350 taped on the stock so I can't loose it.

I'm super excited about this hunt because it is a couple of firsts for me.
    First Pronghorn hunt and first opportunity to take game with my Creedmoor.

This hunt is a drive and spot then stalk.

What do I need to know about killing a Pronghorn?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

You have to hit it to kill it! That's what you need to know about killing one. Similar anatomy as a deer.

Comment

If they haven't been pressured, you should find it to be short and sweet.

Comment

Great vision of course...take your time stalking

Comment

Let your binos or scope do the walking. Ill be up there as well opening weekend. However much farther west. I can see rabbit ear mountain in Clayton NM from the spot I chase antelopes.

Comment

Originally posted by mhunter6 View Post
            Let your binos or scope do the walking. Ill be up there as well opening weekend. However much farther west. I can see rabbit ear mountain in Clayton NM from the spot I chase antelopes.
            Not sure exactly where we are hunting but staying in Pampa.
            The outfitter/guide says he has access to 100,000 acres.

Comment

I've heard Wyoming Pronghorn isn't good table fare. What about Texas Panhandle goats?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowyer View Post
                I've heard Wyoming Pronghorn isn't good table fare. What about Texas Panhandle goats?

Pretty good.. My hunt up there was in farm fields so their diet was quite a bit different

Comment

Antelope are great eating. Good luck

Comment

Not sure exactly where we are hunting but staying in Pampa.
                    The outfitter/guide says he has access to 100,000 acres.

Are you hunting will cal ferguson with 4F outfitters? If so you will have a good time an be successful.. Panhandle antelope tend to be pretty dumb, I killed really good one NE of pampa. Good luck!

Comment

Every antelope I've eaten is excellent. There are two things to remember on antelope though. First is if you don't like sage you will not like antelope. Second is most people that hunt antelope only do it a few times and live in colder states where they regularly hunt elk and deer in cooler temperatures. They will kill a pronghorn in august and care of the meat as if it was a mule deer in October. The meat may still be safe but perhaps gets a little off taste from the heat. Their hide also holds much more heat in than other animals most people hunt for. So all things considered you have to field dress and quarter your goats immediately and you will probably have the best meat you've ever tasted. It is hands down my family's favorite game meat and everyone who i have served it to has loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I killed one in Pampa about 5 or 6 years ago. They eat wheat rather than sage up there, so they taste fine. As mentioned above, the key is snapping a quick picture and getting them quartered and on ice as quickly as possible. Don't let them spoil in the heat. Also, keep in mind the hide is different from a deer and if not cooled off or salted promptly, they can be prone to hair slip.

Comment

Originally posted by txpanhandle32 View Post
                          Are you hunting will cal ferguson with 4F outfitters? If so you will have a good time an be successful.. Panhandle antelope tend to be pretty dumb, I killed really good one NE of pampa. Good luck!
                          No sir, I'm hunting with Ken Danford. He is a local that grew up in the area and has agreements with a few land owners.

Comment

I've only killed one antelope, and it was excellent eating. I killed it in NM, about an hour southwest of Dalhart, TX. Very little sage. Mostly gramma and buffalo grass. Great eating goat. I'm sure if you killed one in country with lots of sage then it wouldn't taste as good.

Comment

Used to have em run through my goose spread in that area. Never shot one though. You won't have any trouble finding em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X