Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you bring if invited to friends Ranch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you bring if invited to friends Ranch?

Originally posted by apc10 View Post
    The recurring guests at our ranch all have the same things in common: they always ask what to bring, are always eager to help with any chores or anything that pops up, and help clean everything before leaving.

The people that don't get the invite are usually just very lazy.

Yup yup... and I try to mirror that as a guest as well

Comment

As a host I typically supply the venison for the weekend and my buddies bring the fixins and drinks (they are always insistent on that). I never show up to someone else's place empty handed even if they tell me I don't need anything, I'm picking up a bottle of something to give to them for their hospitality.
      Last edited by HillCoBowHunter; 07-16-2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

I have a place that my friend hunts, anytime, with or without me. He usually buys half the corn, helps me with food plots, filling feeders, trimming lanes, etc. Sometimes my wife is there on the weekends, and she cooks. He always thanks her for the meal. This is as it should be IMO.

I also am a member on a lease with three others. One of them (and his son) has been a friend for 25 years. It's like pulling teeth to get any of them to help do anything. I'm the only one with a tractor, so I mow. Up until this year I also planted food plots, spring and fall, for them as well as myself. Things have changed, as I'm tired of doing it all myself. This year, I will mow my roads and plant my food plot. We'll see if they get the message.

Comment

Your level of pickiness is 100% up to you.
          When I'm invited some place I usually bring a gift of some sort and ask what else I can bring (feed, beer, etc.). I offer to help where I can and clean up after myself.
          In general I try to communicate directly about expectations and ask or err on the side of respect and courtesy when in doubt or unclear.

and what Sika said

Comment

If you shoot an animal for the love of God don't sit there with your thumb up your butt and watch the owner clean it. If you don't know how, get on YouTube and learn so you can at least help.
            Last edited by Hunting4fun; 07-16-2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
              Whatever beer they like to drink, whatever whiskey they drink and food fit for fatboys! Clean up, pick up...rinse and repeat.
              Harumph! Well put.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                I always bring good food and cook. I will bring whatever beverages the host would enjoy and it’s usyally stuff I know. Good wine or whiskey or a variety of beer. I usually pay something for what I shoot except at my sisters and I would if they would take it. I clean and skin any game that needs it and try to leave the place somehow better than I found it. It’s an honor to be invited somewhere and should be treated that way!
                Fold the TP with a military triangle on the roll.

Comment

Peach shine

Skinny

Comment

I have taken a lot of folks hunting through the years. I bust my butt to make sure they have a great time. I expect nothing from them in return. I also take a good many folks fishing and most of the time I send them home with a mess of fillets.

I just really enjoy taking folks out that don,t get to go often.

When I was a kid I didn’t have many opportunities to hunt or fish so I know what it is like to REALLY want to go but not have anyone to take me.

Comment

I have a family member with a small place (362 acres-low fence) around Rocksprings, that's covered in Axis and of course Whitetail. I get to hunt a couple times every year, but no other family members do. Why? I offered to pay for an Axis doe about 5 years ago and he said Ok. I came and shot a big fat doe and brought food, corn, beer. Got ready to leave and reached in my wallet for the cash and he said don't worry about it. Now, I'm invited back every year. Usually use at least 1 buck tag on a cull and at least a couple doe tags, for population control. Always bring a couple axis doe home also. I help build, move stands and feeders. I usually bring some game meat that I've shot. Have brought Elk, Blackbuck, and Oryx. Helped build a shooting range. I'm a roofing contractor, so helped build a covered storage area between 2 shipping containers. This year I'm getting the green light for a mature Axis buck.....SWEET!!!

Comment

Let's go

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                        My standard show of thanks is ...

1) I drive the owner the 3.5 hours to the ranch.
                        2) I plan, bring, prepare all food for lunch and dinner (steaks) for all.
                        3) I bring an evening snack for all (cheese / meat tray, etc)
                        4) I bring a cooler of beer, water, gatoraid for all.
                        5) I pay a portion of the ranch house maid fee.
                        6) Field dress all animals for owner.
                        7) Quarter and cooler-prep anything not going to a processor.
                        8) Expect to do a few hours of labor (grass cutting)
                        9) Bring 4 bags of corn to bait (over and above current feeders in place).
                        10) Trash bag and general floor sweeping duty.
                        11) Take owners gun and confirm zero the week before the hunt. (not really an avid hunter)
                        12) Spot shoot does, spikes, and low end culls only. (and hogs/turkey)
                        13) Bring/prepare gear/tackle for any other planned events (fishing stock ponds, night shooting rabbit/predators)
                        14) Buy lunch during the drives, food if in town, etc.
                        15) Never over drink and be the guy setting the coffee pot in the morning.

This is in no way a complaint. I am honored to be invited onto a property 2-3 times per year that one could easily tag out any given weekend.

As a previous boat owner, I understand the cost of ownership. By extension I understand the running cost of such a place and what a 3 night hunt that you shoot 3 deer, 4 hogs, 2 turkey, 20 rabbit, catch largemouth bass and stay in an air conditioned lodge would cost. It is far less than the $4-500 bucks that I put out.

After years of having to ask someone to put down their beer to grab a rope when we got to a marina, so I could buy us beer..... I try to be better.
                        Wanna go fishin. I'll get the rope!

Comment

To me I think it depends on the nature of the invite and the personality of the friend that invites me. I have been invited to places for work trips in the off season which I love to do and people that have invited for that know it. I have also been invited to places for hunts. On work trips some people are particular, and that's OK, about letting you do things for them and others not so much. For example, If a feeder needs repair one friend wants you to go with him for morale support where my other friend will say there are parts in the garage go fix that feeder.

As others have said I always bring something to show my appreciation food/drinks etc and always do whatever needs to be done to make a contribution and not be a burden. I think the most important thing is go with an appreciative and willing attitude.

I have had guest at my place both in the off season and during the season and have always treated them like a guest with no expectations. They have never disappointed me.

Comment

I like to bring steaks, snacks, beer, ice, corn, etc. to my buddies place in Junction. I let him know ahead of time so he is not buying extras. It is a nice gesture from him that he allows my son and I to bow hunt on his place a couple of times per year.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                              Peach shine

Skinny

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

The gift that keeps on giving all night long[emoji23]

Comment

Offer working and cleaning around or whatever they ask.

Comment

Working...
                                X