No announcement yet.

A/C question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did they find the leak and fix it? If not, you are going to continue to buy refrigerant. And next year it is almost guaranteed to cost more. At some point you get to a point where you upgrade your system. Anything you buy today will be more efficient than an r-22 unit. R410A is cheaper than r-22.
    Last edited by double bogey; 06-25-2018, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Mary who did you call?

I know some honest: trustworthy AC guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I paid $200 for the first 2lbs and then $80 after that a couple of weeks ago. Had a leak in my coil which would have cost another $2100 to replace coil.

Comment

Just paid 700 for a coil cleaning and 3 pounds of freon

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
            I needed 5 pounds and it cost me $500. They were going to give me an $80 break if I signed up for an annual service agreement for $250/per unit.

So...let's add this up. They would mark it down to $420, but overall it would cost me $920. Yeah, right! I pay for my blonde hair, it does not come natural!

I'm beginning to think home ownership is over-rated! Leasing was far less headache and bank account dinging! Gypsy status is where it is at, for sure!

Appreciate the responses. I just wanted to be sure of price before I told him to proceed. Can always count on my Green Screen family
            5 lb. ? I take it this is a residential system, if so your unit must have been dry. If you look at the name plate ( tag) on the side of the unit, it will tell you how much the factory charge was. Unless it's a big unit( 4 or 5 ton) it probably don't hold 5 lb.'s. You might just look, courious.

Comment

Dang, these guys are making about 3000.00 a jug.

Comment

Posts like these make me glad my BFF is an a.c. tech. They've gotten worse than auto mechanics

Comment

I work on a different level.....
                  50 a pound at the high end for R22

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    Posts like these make me glad my BFF is an a.c. tech. They've gotten worse than auto mechanics

No sir....... the EPA is driving this

But....... yes, the residential book pricing is the most crooked crap I’ve ever seen......

Backspace on the second part of my reply

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                      No sir....... the EPA is driving this

But....... yes, the residential book pricing is the most crooked crap I’ve ever seen......

Backspace on the second part of my reply
                      The epa has ZERO do with people who over charge and scam people.

Case in point...seasons a.c. in magnolia quoted a lady something like 7500 bucks for a new system. She called for a 2nd opinion. My buddy shows up to find a bad contactor. Flipping 45 dollar part and a company wanted to hose this lady out of 7 freaking grand.

Over the winter another lady calls that her heater is out. Big company shows up says it's all bad, 4500 bucks. Little did she know the system in her new to her house was brand new. The gas valve to the unit was off.

I sure hope those people find karma

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                        Did they find the leak and fix it? If not, you are going to continue to buy refrigerant. And next year it is almost guaranteed to cost more. At some point you get to a point where you upgrade your system. Anything you buy today will be more efficient than an r-22 unit. R410A is cheaper than r-22.
                        The "fix" was in my Home Warranty. The freon, was not
                        Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                        Mary who did you call?

I know some honest: trustworthy AC guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Choice Warranty sent out Superior HVAC. I will be letting Choice Warranty know about the "join my annual service agreement" deal they offered.

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                        5 lb. ? I take it this is a residential system, if so your unit must have been dry. If you look at the name plate ( tag) on the side of the unit, it will tell you how much the factory charge was. Unless it's a big unit( 4 or 5 ton) it probably don't hold 5 lb.'s. You might just look, courious.
                        They are 8 ton.

I knew when I bought this place that I would eventually have to replace. I was just hoping to get at least 1 year and was hoping 2 before replacement. We'll see

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          The epa has ZERO do with people who over charge and scam people.

Case in point...seasons a.c. in magnolia quoted a lady something like 7500 bucks for a new system. She called for a 2nd opinion. My buddy shows up to find a bad contactor. Flipping 45 dollar part and a company wanted to hose this lady out of 7 freaking grand.

Over the winter another lady calls that her heater is out. Big company shows up says it's all bad, 4500 bucks. Little did she know the system in her new to her house was brand new. The gas valve to the unit was off.

I sure hope those people find karma
                          I told the guy on the phone the moment he told me how much that I was about to price check him. His freon price seemed inline with what was being said here.

The whole join our annual service fee plan did not fly with me, at all, as a Home Warranty holder. Why would I do that?!?!?! Honestly, I think they didn't realize they were dealing with an Irish person! And now, I am mad But, I am having a glass of wine and trying to get over it

Comment

Tell them to remove all of the 22 then go back 407 or 438a nu22 just have them change Schrader cores on all access ports because of different refrigerants oil will react with the old 22 oil and will make old gasket leak ! They will all work but I would go with 407!

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy moss View Post
                              Tell them to remove all of the 22 then go back 407 or 438a nu22 just have them change Schrader cores on all access ports because of different refrigerants oil will react with the old 22 oil and will make old gasket leak ! They will all work but I would go with 407!
                              THAT sounded like Greek to me.

Right now, it is fixed. If it happens again....I am saving this to tell them!

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                                I told the guy on the phone the moment he told me how much that I was about to price check him. His freon price seemed inline with what was being said here.

The whole join our annual service fee plan did not fly with me, at all, as a Home Warranty holder. Why would I do that?!?!?! Honestly, I think they didn't realize they were dealing with an Irish person! And now, I am mad But, I am having a glass of wine and trying to get over it
                                Ha!

IMO those who try and scam people into something they don't really need is no different than I'm sending you 10,000 check, cash it and keep 2k for your troubles.

Comment

Working...
                                X