6.5 creedmoor build story and 1st day results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 creedmoor build story and 1st day results

So, ive always been a tinkerer/builder and was rebuilding small engines at a young age....so I was always going down the path of going to school for engineering. I started hunting at a very young age as well because both of my parents were very into chasing deer. I didnt miss a weekend of deer season until college and since I didnt have time to scout out my areas before hunting, I would instantly grab my rifle and hit the box blinds instead of my bow and ground hunt.

So fast forward to graduating college, I moved out of state for work and so I didnt get a second of hunting in unless I came home for holidays. Well, I quit my job and moved back to Texas. So now I was an engineer in the Houston area searching for jobs....I had a lot of free time and so I started to get really bored and so I decided to build rifles. I did some research and homework and then ordered parts. I purchased a stainless steel Remington 700 short action but then had to decide on caliber.....well, my whitetail gun has always been a 25-06 and I absolutely will still grab that rifle to hit the woods for whitetails if needed and would still recommend that caliber in a heart beat for a low recoil/very effective cartridge. So decided to go for a .264 cal...which left the 6.5x47, .260 rem or the, i know, 6.5 creedmoor. I was very tempted to go .260 rem because as some others on this site are, I dont necessarily like "following the herd", and then turn it into a .260AI but I really wanted to be able to go to a store and snag a box of ammo if ever in a pinch moment....so it reverted me to the creedmoor design.

Since I already had my action sitting in front of me, I called Schneider barrels and snagged a .264 barrel in 8 twist. Once that got in, I trued my action in a lathe and then chambered up my barrel for the 6.5 creedmoor. I then blasted and cerakoted my barreled action. Well, then I got a "temporary" job out of state and since I was only going to be there a year, I took my reloading stuff and a few guns to keep myself entertained for the little time I would be there. I also barreled up a 7mm-08 for my mom and a .280AI for myself before I left town and so I will be working on getting those together in my free time with the handwork items.

I then had to decide on a stock, well I liked the shape of the M40 stock that Bell and Carlson had but I didnt necessarily want a B&C stock but I didnt have a choice because I was set on that design. So I ordered a stock and then had to open up the barrel channel to fit the large contour of my barrel. Since I did not have a mill here, I stuck with a wooden dowel, sandpaper, and a lot of elbow grease. I said I was a tinkerer and so I didnt mind the effort of making this work. I finally got enough clearance for the barrel and could start the final assembly and hit the range.

The following pics are of the first day at the range and one box of Hornady Black box ammo (I needed brass for reloading).

Gun itself

100 yards sight in. 5 shots

300 yard group. 5 shots

Next up is come up with some reloads and take it to 1000 yards.

Also, I am not too sure on how accurate those measurements on that app did of the group but I will say its pretty dang close with what I got when I put my calipers to the papers. Hopefully the 7mm-08 and .280AI shoot like this as well!!

Sorry for the long post but I have some excitement in me about this being my first rifle to chamber up and assemble from parts and I feel this is a another passion that I have that will just keep me out in the garage some more.
    Last edited by NatureBoy; 01-28-2018, 01:31 PM.

WOW that is awesome....Congrats on the build....Wish I had those skills....

Comment

What app is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lazyman View Post
        WOW that is awesome....Congrats on the build....Wish I had those skills....
        Thanks man!!

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
          What app is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          its called "Range Buddy" on android.

Comment

Nice work

Comment

That’s awesome. What lathe are you running?

Comment

awesome looking gun!

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                  That’s awesome. What lathe are you running?
                  oh man, I have no idea. Chinese lathe...luckily its old enough that it has metal gears and not the plastic ones. so pretty much any "cheap" lathe basically comes out of a small handful of shops over in china and then rebranded by companies here. its pretty rudimentary, no digital read out or coolant flow. ive used it enough that I know its weaknesses and could account for them.
                  Last edited by NatureBoy; 01-28-2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Great looking rifle and shooting.

Going to try that app out myself. Do you simply take a picture of the target and load to the app?

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                      Great looking rifle and shooting.

Going to try that app out myself. Do you simply take a picture of the target and load to the app?
                      thanks man! and yes, pretty much. wasnt really too user friendly when I first opened...i was in a hurry and wasnt reading anything but I think I remember a small introduction on what button does what. I would make sure to read that stuff haha.

Comment

Awesome gun! Great job!

Comment

Great job!!!

Comment

That is awesome! Where did you find the lathe?

Comment

Very nice job.

Comment

Working...
                              X