30.06 Signs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
    That means I’m here and in a uniform but I don’t really know the law cause I’m not actually a certified peace officer or I forgot since I been out of the academy so long and don’t bother to keep up with new laws that come out.

S M H

Sierracharlie out…
    Looks like th 'ol deputy aint as stupid as he looked...SMH

State weighs in

Last week, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton issued a ruling stating that if a building has other offices in addition to courts, those areas should not prohibit the open carry of guns.

Paxton’s ruling was a response to Allison Palmer, district attorney for the 51st Judicial District that includes Tom Green County in West Texas.

“The Legislature has not clearly demarcated, or established, a precise boundary in a building or portion of a building at which handguns are prohibited or permitted,” Paxton’s opinion stated.

The ruling stated that the ban on guns should only be on courtrooms, and offices crucial to running those courts, since state lawmakers didn’t clearly outline the application of the law.+

There are no courtrooms in the building I was in.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
      I rarely see a 30.06 sign posted properly. To have legal standing, it must be in 1" tall or larger letters, be in both english and spanish, and must be at every single entrance. Most don't comply.
      That is not correct.

30.06 and 30.07 are worded differently. An .06 only says conspicuously displayed and .07 says every entrance.

As to what a DA (or city prosecutor for class C) will accept is up to that person but statutorily they are different and .06 doesn’t say “every” entrance.

Comment

I plead the 5th.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
          I know that. But if used to kill someone what does it do to your defense as a LTC holder if used in a place where prohibited if you intentionally and knowingly carried? That's what I'm saying.
          In that case it is a class C misdemeanor... in my opinion.

The law enhances it to a class A if you are ask to leave and refuse. I can find nothing in the law that enhances the penalty if you have to defend yourself.

If you lawfully defend yourself with a concealed handgun, on a property that prohibits it by 30.06 sign, you will be guilty of a class C misdemeanor..... in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
            Is it true that every single entrance must be posted to make concealed carry illegal? I have been to malls and hospitals with legal signage on some doors and nothing on others.
            That is not true. The 30.06 only says that it has to be conspicuously posted. The 30.07 has the wording that it has to be at every entrance.

Again.... what a DA will accept in charges is up to him. If it is his opinion that he won’t take the case without it being on every entrance or simply does not like the law then you will be OK. The DA has that discretion. In some counties the district attorney might be willing to accept a case where the front door of a business is properly posted yet a side door is not. I can find no case law where a court has ruled either way on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
              I know that. But if used to kill someone what does it do to your defense as a LTC holder if used in a place where prohibited if you intentionally and knowingly carried? That's what I'm saying.
              Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
              That is not correct.

30.06 and 30.07 are worded differently. An .06 only says conspicuously displayed and .07 says every entrance.

As to what a DA (or city prosecutor for class C) will accept is up to that person but statutorily they are different and .06 doesn’t say “every” entrance.
              In that case it is a class C misdemeanor... in my opinion.

The law enhances it to a class A if you are ask to leave and refuse. I can find nothing in the law that enhances the penalty if you have to defend yourself.

If you lawfully defend yourself with a concealed handgun, on a property that prohibits it by 30.06 sign, you will be guilty of a class C misdemeanor..... in my opinion.
              That is not true. The 30.06 only says that it has to be conspicuously posted. The 30.07 has the wording that it has to be at every entrance.

Again.... what a DA will accept in charges is up to him. If it is his opinion that he won’t take the case without it being on every entrance or simply does not like the law then you will be OK. The DA has that discretion. In some counties the district attorney might be willing to accept a case where the front door of a business is properly posted yet a side door is not. I can find no case law where a court has ruled either way on this issue.
              Dang it Terry!! I had answers for all of these statements ready and then I get to the bottom where you have already answered them...

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                Looks like th 'ol deputy aint as stupid as he looked...SMH

State weighs in

Last week, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton issued a ruling stating that if a building has other offices in addition to courts, those areas should not prohibit the open carry of guns.

Paxton’s ruling was a response to Allison Palmer, district attorney for the 51st Judicial District that includes Tom Green County in West Texas.

“The Legislature has not clearly demarcated, or established, a precise boundary in a building or portion of a building at which handguns are prohibited or permitted,” Paxton’s opinion stated.

The ruling stated that the ban on guns should only be on courtrooms, and offices crucial to running those courts, since state lawmakers didn’t clearly outline the application of the law.+

There are no courtrooms in the building I was in.

Did he give you an answer or not? A mere shrugging of the shoulders suggests what I wrote as I know plenty of officers/deputies that fit that category.

Otherwise if he provided you with an answer then I stand corrected.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

That is not correct.

If it is not viewable by a person entering the building from an entrance where the sign cannot be seen, the law cannot be enforced. I always came in that entrance.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                    If it is not viewable by a person entering the building from an entrance where the sign cannot be seen, the law cannot be enforced. I always came in that entrance.
                    Great.

That is not what the law states.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                      I refuse to say anything that could later be used against in court.
                      This ^^

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                        Did he give you an answer or not? A mere shrugging of the shoulders suggests what I wrote as I know plenty of officers/deputies that fit that category.

Otherwise if he provided you with an answer then I stand corrected.

Sierracharlie out…
                        No. That's what was weird...I'm convinced he knew the answer but its like he was insinuating that I should know the laws. I wasn't trying to correct you at all. Sorry if it sounded that way... I found the Paxton quote after I posted. It appears that its lawful as long as its not the courtroom or associated offices for the courtroom.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                          No. That's what was weird...I'm convinced he knew the answer but its like he was insinuating that I should know the laws. I wasn't trying to correct you at all. Sorry if it sounded that way... I found the Paxton quote after I posted. It appears that its lawful as long as its not the courtroom or associated offices for the courtroom.

It’s all good buddy. I have found what my statement originally said to be more often true than not. Which irritates me. That was mainly my point. In most of the justice centers I’ve been in there is very little if any places that wouldn’t be classified as able to carry in but that is interesting none the less!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I don't carry illegally and I respect the rights of property owners.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Appreciate all the input. What prompted this question was I went with my Dad on a doctors appointment. The doctors office building had both sets of signs. The building is associated with the hospital next door. So I'm guessing it was a corporate thing. So it was no carry for me.
                              I've been to individual doctors offices and no signs anywhere. Carry On.!!!
                              And yes, I avoid any business that plasters a LEGAL 30.06 sign on its door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X