Free Range West Texas Aoudad Success!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Range West Texas Aoudad Success!!!

My son and I made a trip out to our lease in South West Texas a couple of days before Christmas to see if we could get on a nice buck that we had been seeing on a trail camera. We started the early morning off hunting from our blind but no mature bucks came in so by mid morning we decided to change things up and head up to the high ridges and glass blow. It was starting to get hot and the deer were just not moving anymore. We decided to check one more ridge and as we approached the edge I could see a nice Aoudad ram bedded 280 yd below us. I was able to get my 8 year old son set up in the prone position shooting my 300 win mag. The shot was almost straight down and he was able to make an awesome shot on this old ram. It was high on one side but came out perfect on the other and the ram never got up.

After I packed his Aoudad out of the bottom and we made it back to the RZR. We decided to take it back and drop it off in the walking cooler before we started hunting again. I was taking Maddox to show him a old Indian cave that I found on my last solo trip out there when I decided to glass some ravines on the way over there. As we were walking up to the edge I spotted movement down below us. I spotted a monster Aoudad ram trying to hide behind a Yaka bush on the cliff but he was already spotted. I was able to move along the ridge to get a better vantage point on him without him spooking out of there. Maddox's ram taped out at 31" long and my ram went 35.5". We never did see that big buck but it was a very successful trip to say the least.
    Attached Files

Supercool! Congrats!

Comment

Nice ! Jealous.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Nice

Comment

Congrats to you both! Really nice rams

Comment

Wow those are great sheep. Congrats...

Comment

Congrats! Awesome memories you are making.

Comment

Awesome! Congrats

Comment

Awesome sheep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Fantastic - you boys look like you're hunting in the Wild West!

Comment

Congrats... a memory forever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome chaps!! And major character on the horns. I can't wait till i get my young son on one! Hard to top that one. Congrats

Comment

Awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X