How's this for a "Beginners" bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's this for a "Beginners" bow?

I've talked with a few on here before about getting into trad. Recurve vs Long, etc. I've been pointed several times towards the Samick Sage. This bow appears to be close to the same? I have gift cards and Cabelas points, so, I can pretty much get this bow for little of nothing.

Thoughts?

No firsthand experience, but the reviews look good and the price is right. With the gift cards and points, snatch it up and see how you like it. I'd get it in a light weight if you are just getting started, like 40-45 lbs. Have fun!!

Comment

For $89....do it! You aren't out anything relatively speaking.

Comment

Don't do it!!

You will open a gateway to thousands of dollars and hours to be spent in the future.
        All to become better at something that you can never quit practicing to only be not horrible at!

Just kidding. Grab it with some light limbs and a few full length 500 spines. I started with a glove, but switched to a tab with great results. Have fun, it's impossible not to.

Comment

It doesn't look like Samick Sage. It looks more like one of those cheaper bows(less strong). Have you seen the bow ? Are the limb pockets plastic ? The Vista Sage looks more like Samick Sage.

Comment

I have one in 40# for my bow fishing bow. It works fine.

Comment

The bow looks good on screen but you'll need to get it in hand to see how you like it. If it fits you well grab it. As others have said get lighter weight limbs to start with. Nothing ruins an entry level trad shooter like being over bowed from the start, I know this from personal experience.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by singlearrow View Post
                It doesn't look like Samick Sage. It looks more like one of those cheaper bows(less strong). Have you seen the bow ? Are the limb pockets plastic ? The Vista Sage looks more like Samick Sage.

No. I haven't seen the bow. I'll try to make it to Cabelas this week and verify

Comment

You get what you pay for. I would not recommend that bow simply because a take down bow is a little more costly to produce correctly. Cabelas is one of the most expensive places to purchase gear. Put those two facts down and connect the dots and the only possible conclusion is that can't be much of a bow.

IMO, you would be far better off purchasing a solid old one piece recurve made by one of the major manufacturers such as Bear, Shakesphere, Howatt, or Martin.

I would use my Cabelas points to purchase arrows as I have been pleased with the quality of their feather fletched carbons. The last dozen that I purchased seems to have a slicker finish on them and they pull quite easily; an important thing for old sore hands.

Comment

Working...
                  X