No announcement yet.

Talk to your kids about the election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's funny you mention this, this morning ... I had some troubling insults getting thrown around towards both Hillary and Trump last night during dinner.

I sat back and listened for a few mins. (we were at a restaurant). After a few comments I simply couldn't believe some of the information they were spewing, and told them all (4 kids) to hush. It really bothered me because 90% of it wasn't political at all. They were reciting regurgitated opinions that their friends had taken from their Parents at home no doubt.

It was very worrisome for myself, and I simply told them that personal insults are not acceptable. That we do not repeat that type of information, and that just because your friends say it, does not make it true.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
      My daughter is voting for the first time and when I sat down to talk to her about it she told me, before I had a chance to give my opinion, that she was voting a straight Republican ticket. I knew then, I had raised her right.
      Thats awesome. My mom hates when it becomes time to vote. I use to do straight republican until I became a teacher and the voucher system is in it

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
        Everybody thought that the world was gonna come to an end if Obama got elected in 2008. Then they just KNEW it was gonna come to an end if he got re-elected in 2012. Sure, things would be better if we hadn't had such a terrible president for the last 8 years. But we're still doing OK. There is a LOT that we need to improve upon in our country - that's for sure. But a terrible president can't ruin everything single-handedly - especially one that's as inept and widely hated, even by people in her own party, as Hillary is.

The fix for all that is wrong is not going to be found in a political election. Politics is a reflection of our society. It is not what causes things to happen in our society. Our society will elect politicians that reflect the voters. The only way to get better politicians is to get better voters. The fix for that is God, not a politician.

Stop it! You're scaring the children! on Vimeo
        Perfect !

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          I didn't think Obama would ruin us. Sure I thought he would screw things up just as he did but I don't think people thought he was the end.

And IMO Hillary is WAY worse than Obama. We had no clue what Obama would do or try to do. Heck we didn't even know he existed prior to him running the first time. We KNOW Hillary and what she's capable of. We know what she wants to do. Again, not saying she will end the world but she would be worse than Obama.
          I'm not saying Hillary isn't terrible. She clearly is. But we're not out of the woods simply by defeating her in this election. We're still surrounded by people who will vote for terrible politicians. Defeating Hillary doesn't fix that. If we can heal what's wrong with our society, politics will fix itself.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
            It's funny you mention this, this morning ... I had some troubling insults getting thrown around towards both Hillary and Trump last night during dinner.

I sat back and listened for a few mins. (we were at a restaurant). After a few comments I simply couldn't believe some of the information they were spewing, and told them all (4 kids) to hush. It really bothered me because 90% of it wasn't political at all. They were reciting regurgitated opinions that their friends had taken from their Parents at home no doubt.

It was very worrisome for myself, and I simply told them that personal insults are not acceptable. That we do not repeat that type of information, and that just because your friends say it, does not make it true.
            Very good post.... I will add to that , the next time you are talking to someone about who they are voting for, ask them to cite three reasons they like that candidate. I'll bet you would be surprised.

Comment

Defeating Hillary doesn't fix that. If we can heal what's wrong with our society, politics will fix itself.
              Spot on. I believe it is true that "politics is downstream of culture." What we see in the political realm is merely a reflection of what is going on in the larger society. It was ever thus...

Comment

Everybody thought that the world was gonna come to an end if Obama got elected in 2008. Then they just KNEW it was gonna come to an end if he got re-elected in 2012. Sure, things would be better if we hadn't had such a terrible president for the last 8 years. But we're still doing OK. There is a LOT that we need to improve upon in our country - that's for sure. But a terrible president can't ruin everything single-handedly - especially one that's as inept and widely hated, even by people in her own party, as Hillary is.

The fix for all that is wrong is not going to be found in a political election. Politics is a reflection of our society. It is not what causes things to happen in our society. Our society will elect politicians that reflect the voters. The only way to get better politicians is to get better voters. The fix for that is God, not a politician.

Stop it! You're scaring the children! on Vimeo
                I agree. Seems like the loudest voices on each side are the ones that get heard, even though they're minority viewpoints.

Many people just KNEW that Obama was going to take their guns. Of course, this was nonsense, but people hear the message that they want to hear.

Children are indoctrinated by their parents and it's not my business what propoganda others want to let their children believe. We serve a higher power and I believe we'll be alright if we continue to do what's right.

Comment

Until both sides realize that it is no longer Republican vs. Democrat, but citizens vs. Government, nothing is going to change.

Comment

I'm not saying Hillary isn't terrible. She clearly is. But we're not out of the woods simply by defeating her in this election. We're still surrounded by people who will vote for terrible politicians. Defeating Hillary doesn't fix that. If we can heal what's wrong with our society, politics will fix itself.
                    Great point Shane, my family have been talking about this for quite some time. I think people fail to realize we have a breakdown of society and family/core values.

Question: How do we fix it? I'd love to help in any way I can to fix the broken world we live in. The problem, I don't know where to start...

Comment

Plenty of things for kids to worry about without throwing government in the mix

At that age, they should be worried about having to eat a few green beans or some broccoli

Comment

We pray at dinner every night and my kids 9 and 8 ask me political questions all the time.
                        I'm honest with them about the future of the country if democrats keep getting elected.
                        Fact is, their future will be nothing like mine or my parents. There will in fact be less chance for them to succeed if the Clintons have the WH for another 8 years

Comment

Wow! That is REALLY sad to read.
                          Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                          Until both sides realize that it is no longer Republican vs. Democrat, but citizens vs. Government, nothing is going to change.
                          Cha-ching! All this party affiliation non-sense has folks so blinded it will take another few election cycles to unbury ourselves!

Comment

Originally posted by Commandbro View Post
                            Great point Shane, my family have been talking about this for quite some time. I think people fail to realize we have a breakdown of society and family/core values.

Question: How do we fix it? I'd love to help in any way I can to fix the broken world we live in. The problem, I don't know where to start...
                            I sure don't have all the answers on how to fix it. I wish somebody did. But I am pretty sure that the fix won't be found in politics. Politics is inherently divisive. Politics is "us against them". It creates enemies. All of that mess is what is wrong with our society. More of it won't help.

I can't help but see the world through a spiritual lens, as I'm a Christian more than I am an American (and I am a very patriotic American/Texan). Jesus' message is the opposite of politics. He doesn't advocate dividing and conquering. He advocates showing sincere love and care for our neighbors and even for our enemies. It sounds all warm and fuzzy, but it's not. It is HARD to love your neighbors when they are political enemies - at least it is for me. But we have to find a way to do that.

Our society needs more Jesus. It needs more healthy church community and Christian relationships. It's hard to get more of that good stuff when even Christian brothers and sisters are fighting with each other over politics. I can't see how a non-Christian could look at that and come away wanting to be a part of it themselves. We're letting politics come between each other and between us and God too often. We're letting our fears overshadow our faith, and that leaves a terrible impression and example for others. That makes it even more difficult to be the light in this dark world that we're called to be.

Whatever the answers are, we need to look for ways to be God's light rather than contributing to the darkness. There is more than enough darkness already. We need more light. Few of us will ever be huge lights that shine over the whole nation or the whole world. But we all can be a light in our little corners of the world. We need to focus on being the light that God calls us to be and spend all of our time and energy on that rather than spending all our time and energy on the darkness of politics and the fear and hate that it breeds.

This election has brought out the worst candidates we've ever seen, and it's brought out the worst in our society that we've ever seen. But I believe that God is using that to show us the contrast between dark and light.

Be a light.

Comment

This is a valuable message, regardless of which "side" you're on. Let's not turn it into political debate such that it gets deleted and the message is lost.
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                                My kids (17, 16, & 11) are on point when it comes to knowing the Lord is in control, and in recognizing evil. I don't have to teach them that people like Hillary and Obama are evil. They just know it instinctively, based on what they see. But this above quote is exactly what they aren't taught and what is the real crux of the issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X