No announcement yet.

usajobs.gov

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a veteran, but I'm a white male, so maybe they cancel each other out, and I have a little chance? Lol. I messed up by not tailoring my resume with key words though. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_Man View Post
      I'm a gg employee at goodfellow afb. Make sure the resume you submit against the job had a LOT of words that are in the job description. The first step is an automated process that screens applicants. If you don't have keywords from your resume your application will not get forwarded to the hiring officials for consideration.

I can tell you from personal experience that some of the jobs posted are only posted just to make sure they legally have posted it. Meaning... Some of the jobs have either been filled already or they already know who they are hiring.
      Very true.

Like always, a known commodity will have the edge over the unknown. This is why you show up in person, or at least call. So many young applicants these days want to do everything electronically. I won't hire anyone who hasn't made the effort to at least call and talk to me.

Comment

Originally posted by sethcros View Post
        I'm a veteran, but I'm a white male, so maybe they cancel each other out, and I have a little chance? Lol. I messed up by not tailoring my resume with key words though. I'll keep that in mind in the future.
        If you're a vet, you have a good chance. Keep applying. Something will come through.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
          If you're a vet, you have a good chance. Keep applying. Something will come through.
          Thanks. I'm fortunate in that I'm working, I have my own business, but I want to transition into a job with more security. I'm not desperate though, so hopefully the right opportunity will come along.

Comment

Originally posted by sethcros View Post
            Sad reality but you nailed it. Good luck with your job search.

Comment

Originally posted by Monark View Post
              Sad reality but you nailed it. Good luck with your job search.
              That fits the narrative anyway.

Sethcros, just be sure to show interest. That goes a long, long way. #1 problem I see today are people who apply and then just expect to get the job because they are so "gifted."

Comment

I got a job with the gov out of high school several years ago. I actually went to the downtown Dallas fed building and walked around and handed out my resume. The ones that were hiring told me to apply on usagov so it can go in their system too. So I did, a couple months later I got a call back and they called me in to an interview. Then I did several more interviews with them. My final interview made me nervous as heck, I walked into this big meeting room with a huge long table and sat at it and there must've been 20 people in there. But I ended up getting the job!

Comment

I just had one of my jobs close on USA jobs and I had 203 applicants for 4 positions. It was only internal and did not go out to US citizens. If it had it would be likely to have 2 to 3 times that many or possibly more. If you are not a veteran or already employed by the gov then it's tough to get in. Look for jobs that are excepted appointments. They do not fall under the veterans preference. Unless you are a veteran of course.

Comment

My bad I just read to post saying you are a vet. I work in Engineering at the VA in Bonham and in Dallas. Check out the jobs for them. If you find one you are interested then get in touch with me and I can get you with the selecting official possibly. I have been a hiring manager in my department for the last 7 years and know quite a few of the department heads. If you were a combat vet then you may be eligible for a VRA appointment. I could get you in touch with the coordinator in HR for that program. Not sure what line of work your in but I'm about to have openings for a Equipment Foreman, Mechanic and possibly a Motor Vehicle Opertor Leader at the Dallas VA. Might have a Motor Vehicle Operator or two as well.
                    Last edited by Wolf_Creek; 10-30-2015, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf_Creek View Post
                      My bad I just read to post saying you are a vet. I work in Engineering at the VA in Bonham and in Dallas. Check out the jobs for them. If you find one you are interested then get in touch with me and I can get you with the selecting official possibly. I have been a hiring manager in my department for the last 7 years and know quite a few of the department heads. If you were a combat vet then you may be eligible for a VRA appointment. I could get you in touch with the coordinator in HR for that program. Not sure what line of work your in but I'm about to have openings for a Equipment Foreman, Mechanic and possibly a Motor Vehicle Opertor Leader at the Dallas VA. Might have a Motor Vehicle Operator or two as well.
                      Thanks Wolf, that is awfully kind. I'm not a combat vet. I was in the air force for six years and got out in 2004. I have a law degree, but I'm not necessarily looking for legal work. I'm pretty open to anything that is equal to or more than I'm making now. I would probably take a little less if the job was the right job. Travel is fine if required.

Comment

If you're willing to move and you have at least 5 pt. Vet preference, then you have a lot of jobs available to you. Good luck.

Comment

Havent thought about VA jobs in awhile. I just flagged an Assistant Chief GS13 opening. I did a lot of consulting with the Dallas group 10 or so years ago. Maybe they will remember me!!

Comment

Working...
                          X