Antler Lamp ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antler Lamp ?

How are y'all attaching the antlers? Screws or nails before hiding with putty?

I have an antler lamp on my desk and can see where holes were drilled and puttied but nothing else. I'm not gonna take it apart to look

Got a box full of antlers I'm planning on making some lamps with and would like to skip as much trial and error possible.

When running the electric are you stripping the wires or drilling holes large enough to snake it all through?

Thanks!

First potential screw up

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Use screws to join them together. Use a small drill bit and drill through one antler and about half way into second antler. Then run the screw through to secure them. Then take dremel with cut off wheel and cut off the head of the screw. I used a 5/16 drill bit to tunnel the wire paths. My wire goes up thru the bottom and comes out the top (hidden all the way through). I laid my antlers out and decided how they would “go together” then marked where I would screw them together and also where I would drill tunnels for the wire. Drilled all the tunnels and ran wire before securing them together with screws. Once it’s all together, patch any holes and touch up with light stain

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
        First potential screw up

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not much help, but I don’t think that cortisone will hold them very well!

[emoji12]

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
          Use screws to join them together. Use a small drill bit and drill through one antler and about half way into second antler. Then run the screw through to secure them. Then take dremel with cut off wheel and cut off the head of the screw. I used a 5/16 drill bit to tunnel the wire paths. My wire goes up thru the bottom and comes out the top (hidden all the way through). I laid my antlers out and decided how they would “go together” then marked where I would screw them together and also where I would drill tunnels for the wire. Drilled all the tunnels and ran wire before securing them together with screws. Once it’s all together, patch any holes and touch up with light stain
          That is easy enough to picture. Thanks!

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
          Not much help, but I don’t think that cortisone will hold them very well!

[emoji12]
          It's currently holding me together!

Comment

I just made two about a month ago, I will try to take some pictures when I get home this afternoon. My wife wanted them "tall", so I ended up using 4 antlers per lamp. Running wire all the way through to the top was a B***H. I misjudged the path the drill bit was taking inside the antler a few times and it got a little frustrating but they still turned out pretty nice.

Comment

Finally got some pics uploaded. Again, my wife wanted them "tall" so I had to use 4 antlers per lamp. Had to add the 4th to make a sturdier base.
              Attached Files

Comment

I attach all with screws. Pre drill with a 1/4" bit and then countersink bit large enough for screw head. Fill with Stainable Wood putty. Once dried stain with "Provincial" made by MinWax Stain.
                Attached Files

Comment

I like the look of larger more mass sheds. More room to work with as well.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X