PH near Mt Pleasant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PH near Mt Pleasant

I just moved up here to Mt Pleasant and my lease in south of lufkin. What if any public hunting is available near MP that are decent? I thought I may be able to find somewhere I could go on weekdays or on wkends that I cant make it to my lease

White Oak WMA is just east of there. My folks live in Naples and I've often thought about checking it out.

Comment

Mt Pleasant Area

Javelin,

Lived in Longview and my wife was a teacher in Mt. Pleasant a few years ago.

Check these links out:

1. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...able_contents/
      Everything offered through TP&W Type II.

2. http://www.recreation.gov/
      Everything offered in the US for public hunting. Do a search for hunting opps in Tx and it lists everything open. COE offers stuff outside of TP&W, also check into Oklahoma, just north of you is 1000's of acreas of Nat Forest and Bureau of Land Mgt that offers hunting. We would go to Broken Bow and Beavers Bend OK and it was beautiful.

Beware of Pilgrims Pride in Mt. Pleasant.........somedays those chickens smell pretty bad. Tornados are common and it gets pretty **** cold there, about 10 degrees colder than lufkin, longview area.

Comment

From the TPWD link it looks like the area is Archery only for deer, is that correct? If so I am really interested in trying this area out. I have never hunted public land so other than buying my APH permit what do I need in order to hunt there

Comment

Also what are the laws on using ATVs in WMAs these days?

Comment

ATV access is not allowed for the most part to many abusing the privelege. The do allow it on some of the draw hunts but its a royal pain in the @ss to legally do it, they have recently passed regs that require you to have taken an ATV class and on top of that you must buy an off hwy vehicle decal and were protective gear (helmet, elbow pads, gloves the list goes on).

Comment

white oak creek wma is a good spot for deer and hogs, especially hogs. but i would not hunt alone on this park. someone posted that a few pot fields were found out here recently. i myself have run into some questionable characters while hog hunting out here. dont let this discourage you from some prime hunting lands just be careful and take a buddy with you to this park.

Comment

Well I think I may check it out this year, just gotta get my 48 dollar APH first

Comment

Working...
                X