No announcement yet.

HF farm animals, cheesey Africa hunts and Nick Nolte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listened to Podcast 1-9 today on the road. Very entertaining and I like the guy. I love his drive and passion and I’d like to get one of his cook books. I see his point on many of the issues but disagree. This has been the most civil discussion around the campfire in a while where the HF was used. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
      That could mean that if we hunt low fence using a feeder or food plots, we are not hunting.

That wouldn’t be in context. He grew up hunting over bait and doesn’t seem to have any hang ups on it. He does say that once he moved away from bait he learned how animals actually behave. His points are out there. I don’t need to regurgitate anymore of them.

If you have Netflix there are two free seasons of his show Meateater. I’m particularly fond of the one where they trapped hogs in TX. There are two killer podcasts he does with same ranch manager that are great as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
        Every generation wants it to be better/easier for the next.
        Every hunter deserves a 200" deer, right?
        At some point, Texas hunting will predominantly be MLD, and/or high fence.
        Small landowners like myself, will be forced to conglomerate with other small landowners to become part of an MLD, and restricted to killing what biologist deem appropriate.
        The State of Texas is simply turning Whitetail Deer into livestock.
        Deer hunting in Texas will eventually become a "pay to play" endeavor,( If it's not already at this point), and it is slowly creeping northward to OK and KS.
        Deer hunting in Texas IS ALREADY a pay to play endeavor, unless you have good connections.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
          Deer hunting in Texas IS ALREADY a pay to play endeavor, unless you have good connections.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
          Listen to podcast 96 "Permissions". Tell me what you think after you listen to it.

Comment

Listened to more today while driving back from Louisiana for work. I feel like he is more open to some of the issues than his guests. Again it’s all about perspective. I can’t form an opinion on something I’ve never done and that seems to the issue with HF hunting. It’s also when a man measures his worth with how many likes he gets on his Facebook post of deer he shot. There is no score at the end of this game. No medals to be won. (For the record I post a ton of stuff on social media)

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
              Listen to podcast 96 "Permissions". Tell me what you think after you listen to it.
              I listened to that one already. It's still mostly a pay to play thing in Texas, especially compared to the rest of the country. Nothing wrong with it, it's just how it is.

Comment

I was listening to podcast number 19 today and he was talking about the Texas Cull Hunters Association. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I gotta wonder what it would look like if you could see all the high fences in Texas laid out in a map. Would it be a case of fragmented habitat? Someone could write a dissertation on this. Not all high fence places are big enough for natural deer ranges. Obviously high fences haven't stopped pigs from roaming. And I wonder what a big deer looked like and what they would have scored 100 years ago in Texas.

Comment

Who cares how one hunts or what they hunt with as long as it is legal in that state, country or area. We are all hunters unless we do not conform to the elitist definition of a hunter. To those thst try to tell us how to hunt, how we can or csnnot hunt over feeders or with a compound or rifle that will shoot accurately out to 1500 yards and to those that say we are not hunters for not shooting a trophy animal each time we go out or for some that want to call trophy hunters and only after the hirns/rack/antlers or score, they can KMA! I just want to hunt legally and what I see as ethically if it is legal snd enjoy the outdoors without hsvng to conform to a bunch of so called elitist folks that call themselves hunters. What makes them better than I am? Money?

Comment

if all high fence deer were 110" 9 pointers, no one would be hating on them.

it doesn't have anything to do with a purist view, that's just a convenient argument.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post

it doesn't have anything to do with a purist view, that's just a convenient argument.

Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                          I gotta wonder what it would look like if you could see all the high fences in Texas laid out in a map. Would it be a case of fragmented habitat? Someone could write a dissertation on this. Not all high fence places are big enough for natural deer ranges. Obviously high fences haven't stopped pigs from roaming. And I wonder what a big deer looked like and what they would have scored 100 years ago in Texas.

I’m still in favor of letting folks do with their land as they wish, and that includes high fencing. Our place is small, 110 acres. We got high fenced on the back side I guess 5 yrs or so ago. We didn’t see any negative effect from that. Then 205 acres on an end got high fenced I think 2 yrs ago. That has sucked. It completely cut off what was a travel corridor through our property during the rut. One end of the property is still pretty good, but the end fenced on two sides has been hurt badly. Probably won’t hunt that end next year. It does stink that a neighbor can do something on their property that has such a negative effect on yours, but they could screw us if they were low fence and shot everything that moved. That’s how it goes hunting small acreage.

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post

I'm just saying they used to be really rare and special now not so much
                            I agree, not a fan of fakes, but if that’s your thing more power to ya! I personally would never support my wife having unnecessary surgery to improve her image or shooting a deer behind a high fence. The problem is the lack of understanding between parties or beliefs, same problem with religion, race, and politics!

Both sides get so worked up when someone disagrees.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post

Nope, not really

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                                Very interesting question

28 years ago I would drive the last 15 miles.to my lease with an abundance of caution at night because of the hundreds of deer on the roads. Now I can drive 80 because all the deer are caged. Seen lots of bucks staring through the fence

Comment

Working...
                                X