Attracting Hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attracting Hogs

We have a small place that is just a little over a mile from the Wa****a River. There is a good draw that runs from our place to the river and is full of sage brush and plum thickets so there is plenty of cover. Also there is a windmill and a pond about 300 yards from our property line. We do have about 5 acres of milo planted for the deer and the deer come that far but I have never seen any sign of hogs.

I hear our neighbors talk about killing hogs frequently along the Wa****a River so I know they are close. My question is can I draw them in from that far away? Is there some strong smelling attractant that may be worth putting out that the scent will travel to the river with a good south wind?

I didn't know Wa&hita was a bad word???LOL!

Comment

So what you're saying is that you WANT to have them come tear up your place and eat all your corn?!?!?!!!

I think it'll be fairly hard to draw them a mile from the water and a constant food source around the river. Maybe try something sweet smelling and make piles of it with corn.

Comment

I use molasses and corn then let it age to perfection...ive also used dead fish...both have wrked more often than not...unless you kill one...then there is usually a waiting period.

Comment

No hogs??? I will be glad to trade you land!!!

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
            So what you're saying is that you WANT to have them come tear up your place and eat all your corn?!?!?!!!

I think it'll be fairly hard to draw them a mile from the water and a constant food source around the river. Maybe try something sweet smelling and make piles of it with corn.
            Originally posted by Boomerang View Post
            No hogs??? I will be glad to trade you land!!!
            Y'all know its a crazy thing!! For an animal that everyone hates so much nobody will let you come kill one for free. Everyone in my area wants 3 to $500 to come hog hunting. I want to kill one but its not $500 important to me. lol!

I figured they would have already been there since we have the only grain crop within several miles. We plant that 5 acre plot every year. Usually in wheat, but this year we went with milo. We have a feeder out but the deer go to the milo before they hit the feeder.

Comment

They say that there are two types of land owners in Texas. Those that have Hogs, and those what soon will. Five years ago we didn't have a Hog on our place in San Augustine. Four years ago we started seeing some sign of them. Three years ago we finally seen the first one, but they were staying in the woods, and really not hurting anything. last year our Game Cameras started blowing up with pictures of Hogs, and now we are seeing less pictures of deer. Now, this past Weekend, I noticed that there starting to root up the fields. Something has to give... Be carefuel what you wish for. I was like you five years ago...

Comment

Jpowledge, sent ya a message.

Comment

Originally posted by BowFed2014 View Post
                  They say that there are two types of land owners in Texas. Those that have Hogs, and those what soon will. Five years ago we didn't have a Hog on our place in San Augustine. Four years ago we started seeing some sign of them. Three years ago we finally seen the first one, but they were staying in the woods, and really not hurting anything. last year our Game Cameras started blowing up with pictures of Hogs, and now we are seeing less pictures of deer. Now, this past Weekend, I noticed that there starting to root up the fields. Something has to give... Be carefuel what you wish for. I was like you five years ago...
                  I could be wrong but other than the draw leading up to our place, there is nothing but grass and our food plot. I dont think they would be there all the time.

Originally posted by BowFed2014 View Post
                  Jpowledge, sent ya a message.
                  PM returned!

Comment

[QUOTE=jpowledge;9467510]Y'all know its a crazy thing!! For an animal that everyone hates so much nobody will let you come kill one for free. Everyone in my area wants 3 to $500 to come hog hunting. I want to kill one but its not $500 important to me. lol

I dont hate em, I just get tired of feeding them. Plus, I woukd never charge anyone to come kill one of the 10000000 plus pigs I have coming. You'd be doing me a favor.

Comment

I heard putting the soda 'Big Red' on corn works pretty good. I always use spoiled corn. Also heard soaking corn in diesel fuel works too, but I don't know about that one.

Comment

Im liable to hold you to that as soon as your deer season is over.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodrunner View Post
                          I heard putting the soda 'Big Red' on corn works pretty good. I always use spoiled corn. Also heard soaking corn in diesel fuel works too, but I don't know about that one.
                          I have used diesel soaked corn since i was a kid. My grandpa always did too. Worked well for us.

Comment

[quote=txoutdoorsman24;9468648]
                            Originally posted by jpowledge View Post
                            Y'all know its a crazy thing!! For an animal that everyone hates so much nobody will let you come kill one for free. Everyone in my area wants 3 to $500 to come hog hunting. I want to kill one but its not $500 important to me. lol

I dont hate em, I just get tired of feeding them. Plus, I woukd never charge anyone to come kill one of the 10000000 plus pigs I have coming. You'd be doing me a favor.
                            Ya, keep me in mind, I will always come do you a favor!

Comment

try the wild berry record rack block they run about $12 bucks at ts and work really well

Comment

Working...
                              X