Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever kill a flying dove with your trad bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never killed a dove on a passing shot.

I have killed about a dozen, just as they began to fly...off a limb, from the edge of the water, etc... They were in the air, but not sure if that counts.

Last year while dove hunting I had at least 10 birds do just what you described, flare and sort of hover right near the decoys. I think it is possible, but of course you might miss twenty to get one. I hope you do it. Please keep us updated.

Comment

I want to do the same thing with ducks or geese. They're bigger.

Good luck. Pics or it did not happen.

Comment

I have gotten one low flying next to water. Very significant lead needed. I have had the fletching hit one and taken a tail feather off another. Snaro was very handy for the one I hit. I prefer flu flu for recovery. Chances of hitting a dove in flight past 20 yards is limited anyway. I haven't tried it over a mojo yet. Will this year though. Good luck with it.

I would set up shots to shoot from behind them or while lighting next to decoy like you said.

Also, I'm working on cheap cane shafts to make me feel better about letting the arrows fly more loosely!

Comment

Great goal, Jerp. Should really be fun. Long ago, I shot three quail on the ground at 10 yards (separate shots) as they crossed a brushy trail in a line. The others never did flush. Always thought it might be do-able to shoot them in flight over dogs with those wire loop arrows, since they tend to fly in straight lines.

Comment

I killed one coming in to land 3 years ago. Haven't been able to hit one since then. I'll keep flinging arras at em though.

Comment

Killed one with a set of keys once...weird deal

Comment

Chris, I believe we need the story... Pitching keys at doves or what?

Comment

I tried it several years ago and had a blast. I set in a fly way and shot regular fletch with judos. I had several that would dodge the arrow and got a feather or two but never knocked one out of the air. I did limit out on several trips but I shot them out of Mesquite trees not out of the air.
                  I know it sounds like I'm exaggerating but on one of those hunts I shot at a flying crow. He actually back peddled and let the arrow go by then flew on his way.
                  Good luck, I know you will enjoy it.

JC

Comment

It's not a dove but felix40 has shot a duck out of the air with his recurve.

Comment

We used to shoot at a Nerf Volleyball with FluFLu's and for grins we tried a tennis ball. I could hit the vollyball 8/10 times but the tennis ball is a lit harder! Only hit it once about of a couple hundred tries. Good practice, got close a lot of times.

Comment

Too bad you didn't start hunting back when Burnadell did ... they you could have tried on a bigger target first.

Like a pterodactyl

Comment

I get at least one every year. I hide in a mesquite tree at the pond and wait for them to come straight to me then jump out and the dove is like O S___.

Comment

It definitely makes for a good story. I plan on bringing my bow everytime this year. With a shotgun tagging along.

Comment

That could turn into an expensive quest. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
                                I can't even hit them with a shotgun! Good Luck! It ought to be fun!
                                This x2

Comment

Working...
                                X