Grain of bullet change accuracy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grain of bullet change accuracy?

Will different grains shoot differently, as in accuracy?

Yes. If you're just going up or down a few grains probably not much different but there will be some difference. I always shoot paper if I'm switching bullets just to be sure.

Comment

Depends on the gun. Some will shoot various grains no problem, some will be finnicky even across the same grain bullet but different projectiles. POI can change also.

Comment

Different barrels will like different projectiles better. You can get an idea of what it’ll like by the twist rate, but even then it can like different projectiles better. They can even be the same grain weight yet still perform differently.

Comment

Man you can have the same grain with a different manufacturer and change POI. You gotta shoot anything new out of the gun and see what it does. Accuracy for shooting groups definitely as well, changing anything some guns will shoot some better than others. Gotta shoot it to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
            Man you can have the same grain with a different manufacturer and change POI. You gotta shoot anything new out of the gun and see what it does. Accuracy for shooting groups definitely as well, changing anything some guns will shoot some better than others. Gotta shoot it to find out.
            Yep and different LOT numbers of the same grain from the same manufacturer can shoot drastically different too..

Comment

Switched ammo on my son’s Ruger #1 in 22-250, Hornady V-Max 50 grain to Remington PSP 55 grain, grouping was similar but the Rem was hitting two feet to the right! I had a similar experience with my 700 in 243, Hornady 100 grain to Federal fusion 95 grain both boat tail, the Fed was 8” high and right. I try to check zero anytime I get into a new box of ammo and always if I switch brand or type.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAg2002 View Post
                Will different grains shoot differently, as in accuracy?

Yes. 2 different boxes of the same exact ammunition can shoot completely different if they are different lot numbers.

I reload for every rifle I have except 2....my Tikka CTR and my sons Ruger American Predator. I bought a box of ELD-M at Academy for the CTR and it shoots them into .4-.5 MOA. I went back and bought all 11 boxes they had that were the same lot #.

My sons Ruger shoots one particular lot# of Fusion into .7 MOA. I went and bought a whole case of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Send it and get back to us.
                  Most of my bullets within 5gr are 1 MOA @ 100
                  But I reload.

Comment

I've got a .30-06 that is picky. Found a load it really liked, shot them for a few years. Bought more and they changed the velocity ever so slightly, so I had to adjust. Lots of variables other than bullet weight with factory ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                      Yes. 2 different boxes of the same exact ammunition can shoot completely different if they are different lot numbers.

I reload for every rifle I have except 2....my Tikka CTR and my sons Ruger American Predator. I bought a box of ELD-M at Academy for the CTR and it shoots them into .4-.5 MOA. I went back and bought all 11 boxes they had that were the same lot #.

My sons Ruger shoots one particular lot# of Fusion into .7 MOA. I went and bought a whole case of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Agreed. Using my 6.5 CM as an example, when I buy ammo I buy pretty much everything on the shelf of that round. It’s always pretty close but I will see a small shift. So far not more than .2 mil. That’s with Hornady ELD-X.

Comment

Not only will Bullet weight change it, Bullet type will. Example....
                        Berger VLDs are built completely different than say a nosler partition or accubond. The bearing surface is different. The total design is different. Older rifles are built with reamers geared towards bullets like the partitions or accubonds as the low drag bullets weren’t really a thing back then.
                        This does not mean they won’t shoot the newer design bullets well. Just means they are more likely to shoot the others better.
                        So don’t just get hung up on Bullet weight alone. Lots of factors there.

Comment

Working...
                        X