Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #1
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX
Default Be careful with kids and pools

You folks with kids or grandkids and a pool nearby be alert. As my wife says, ďWhat sound does a drowning child make? Silence.Ē

I know of 2 child pool drownings, and those kids were older. Be alert and God bless your families.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...ident.amp.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill in San Jose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 08:59 AM   #2
eastxhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Saw that , super sad stuff .
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
popo1984
Eight Point

I’ve seen how fast it can happen even with others in the pool at the same time. Thank god I know cpr and I don’t think the kid was under too long but long enough to have blue lips and loss all his color. There was no alcohol involved at all so this was not some big party where everyone was doing there own thing not caring much. It was a child’s party and parents were everywhere around the pool.
popo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #4
dpatterson1976
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeBerry, Bettie

Very sad situation.

My new pool will be filled soon. Safety fence is being installed Monday.
dpatterson1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina

Sad. We've sent our daughter to survival swim lessons the last couple years, she's 2.5. Really amazing what they've taught her.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #6
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Teach your kids to side stroke
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
rjtkdplus
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Everywhere I can

It can happen so quickly and is definitely silent. I saw it with my own daughter. Never heard her hit the water even though I was only 10 feet away. Fortunately I saw movement out of the corner of my eye and was able to get her as she struggled, face down in our pool. She was about a year old at the time.

Last edited by rjtkdplus; 06-12-2018 at 01:32 PM.
rjtkdplus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
deerplanter
Ten Point

Not just pools but any body of water, I had boy fall off my parents pier several years ago and if I hadn't been there to grab his arm and lift him out of the water it could had been bad. It was deep where he went in and my dad had it brushed pretty good for crappie.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
Texas Tracker
Pope & Young

I worked as a lifeguard for many years. It can and will happen so fast. Pulled more then a few out of the water. Thank god none of them died. I am also a WSI and have taught many very young kids how to swim. If you have kids IMHO its one of the most important things you can do to save your child's life. Teach them to swim before they can walk!
Texas Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #10
boomerball
Ten Point

had a scare a couple weeks ago at a kids swim party. bunch of kinder through 2nd age kids who were pretty good swimmers in the pool and our 3.5yr old snuck in without her life jacket. fortunately I noticed right about the time she got to where she couldn't touch and snatched her. didn't go under, but coughed up water.... had her checked out and was ok.

she had been in swim lessons for a while until last fall. was almost swimming at the time, but had lost it all over ~9mo. she started back up last week.

as said before, it can happen quickly, quietly, and with people around.
boomerball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 07:58 PM   #11
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Burnet

I built the fence around my pool before I ever moved in the house. We were painting inside and replacing the upstairs carpet before we moved. I did the pool fence while the painters and floor people did the inside.

Name:  pool.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  86.2 KB

We were at a friend's son's 13th birthday party and out of the corner of my eye, I saw movement by the pool. The birthday boy's younger brother (3 yr old) had slipped away from the singing of happy birthday and was jumping in off the rocks in the deep end. Everyone's back was to the pool at that time. I was standing in the back and just happen to see something out the corner of my eye. I saw him start to jump and took off running and cleared a few chairs next to the pool to go in the other side of the pool from him about 5 sec after he hit the water. I was able to grab the kid and get him out of the water in less than 10 sec from when he jumped. I don't know what scared the kid more, him going under the water with no float on or the wave that my big *** made when I jumped over the chair and into the water.

I will say this, a 6'3" 300# guy running full speed in flip flops, jumping over a chair, and basically belly flopping into a pool at a 13yr old birthday party while everyone is singing happy birthday will definitely get a lot of attention. I couldn't believe how fast it happened and that no one else saw it except me. There were easily 25 kids at this party and probably around 40 adults. That experience is one of the reasons why I put the fence up around my pool so quickly before moving in.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #12
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL View Post
I built the fence around my pool before I ever moved in the house. We were painting inside and replacing the upstairs carpet before we moved. I did the pool fence while the painters and floor people did the inside.

Attachment 911431

We were at a friend's son's 13th birthday party and out of the corner of my eye, I saw movement by the pool. The birthday boy's younger brother (3 yr old) had slipped away from the singing of happy birthday and was jumping in off the rocks in the deep end. Everyone's back was to the pool at that time. I was standing in the back and just happen to see something out the corner of my eye. I saw him start to jump and took off running and cleared a few chairs next to the pool to go in the other side of the pool from him about 5 sec after he hit the water. I was able to grab the kid and get him out of the water in less than 10 sec from when he jumped. I don't know what scared the kid more, him going under the water with no float on or the wave that my big *** made when I jumped over the chair and into the water.

I will say this, a 6'3" 300# guy running full speed in flip flops, jumping over a chair, and basically belly flopping into a pool at a 13yr old birthday party while everyone is singing happy birthday will definitely get a lot of attention. I couldn't believe how fast it happened and that no one else saw it except me. There were easily 25 kids at this party and probably around 40 adults. That experience is one of the reasons why I put the fence up around my pool so quickly before moving in.
Itís scary. Weíve got a bunch of family in town right now for graduation and saw it first hand the other day. One of my nieces is four and has been in swimming lessons for over a year now and is a little fish. Will run and jump in the deep end likes it nothing and knows how to swim under water and get herself out. One of my cousins little ones isnít quite as good and thought she would follow my niece. In she went and started sinking line a paper weight. Luckily I had just got back in the pool and was right by her when she did it and was able to grab an arm about two feet under water. She never knew what happened!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #13
Grittydog
Nubbin' Buck

It happens way to often.
Grittydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #14
JANKEII
Four Point

Hunt In: Gatesville

I'm a home inspector and pool inspector. Here are some thoughts.
If your house is a part of the fence barrier. Every door and window going out to the pool needs to have an alarm sound. Not your house alarm...
If you have a door in your garage going out to your yard with a pool, you have to have a dead bolt on the top part of your door.
Any wood or etc fence cannot have an opening for little Johnny to crawl through to get to neighbors pool.
State of Texas from my understanding if you own a pool you better know the safety concerns of the surrounding pool area. No negligence for not knowing. Like every pool should have a visible throwing device like a donut or pole with a hook that is visible. Not thrown behind the fence with the pool equipment.
It's all about keeping little Johnny safe.
One more thing...
Holiday Inn pool or some kinda motel pool size.
6 people in the hot tub is equivalent to over 250 people in the pool. Next time you are breathing the steam in the hot remember how many germs your breathing in🤔
JANKEII is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #15
BlackoutRam2500
Four Point

Scary stuff. I've got 4 little ones... We're going to put one in later this year and I already told my wife no safety cover = no pool.
BlackoutRam2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 09:09 PM   #16
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

My wife and I are in the process of becoming foster parents, and one of the many requirements is that we build a 6-ft fence around our pool, which is unfenced because we have no kids, and we live way out in the country. It’s expensive and inconvenient, but it’s something that needs to be done because of situations just like this.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #17
Boyd1212
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise, SanSaba, and Jack County

It can happen fast! My daughter isn't the best swimmer but she can tread water. We went to a birthday party at Keller Pointe and she wanted to go down the big water slide. Wife told her ok. I figured I would just go stand where they come out so I could get her out as we were about to leave. She wears a small float that goes on her back. When she got up to the top they made her take it off. So she comes out the slide and her float shoots across the pool. I could instantly she was in distress. She couldn't touch bottom and started to panic. The life guard was 6' away from her in the pool. The life guard didn't move. I jumped over the life guard and into the pool. Grabbed my daughter who was now starting to go under water. I picked her up and on to the edge of the pool and made her cough. That was probably one of the most scary situations I've ever been in with my kid. The life guard told me after OMG, that just happened. Yeah, it did. I'm glad I decided to go over there.
Boyd1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #18
Still Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ght=Lily+Grace

No one wants to go through the hardship this family is presently enduring. Too rough to continue the thread on the green screen.
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #19
Mike
Ten Point

Quote:
I'm a home inspector and pool inspector. Here are some thoughts.
If your house is a part of the fence barrier. Every door and window going out to the pool needs to have an alarm sound. Not your house alarm...
If you have a door in your garage going out to your yard with a pool, you have to have a dead bolt on the top part of your door.
Any wood or etc fence cannot have an opening for little Johnny to crawl through to get to neighbors pool.
State of Texas from my understanding if you own a pool you better know the safety concerns of the surrounding pool area. No negligence for not knowing. Like every pool should have a visible throwing device like a donut or pole with a hook that is visible. Not thrown behind the fence with the pool equipment.
It's all about keeping little Johnny safe.
Good info and thanks for sharing. I do have a question regarding fencing. How is it that I see so many pools around my area, Southeast Texas that do not have a fence around them? I thought it was a requirement?

I have a neighbor that was complaining about receiving a letter that their insurance was being cancelled due to a trampoline on the property but not for the lack of fence around the pool. Can you or anyone elaborate on the lack of fences being acceptable?
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 07:35 PM   #20
Raleigh
Ten Point

Totally I agree and I taught mine to swim as soon as they could walk. I had my 20 month granddaughter in the pool last night blowing bubbles and kicking. If you want them drown proof teach them to swim.
Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #21
Chad C
Pope & Young

Default Be careful with kids and pools

Olympian Alpine Skier, Bode Miller recently lost his daughter.

We have the safe fence around ours, but Iím still paranoid.

My kids are little fish, but then again...every drowning I know of from a personal experience happened to a person who new how to swim.

Had a buddy in high school. Family had been in the pool all afternoon and moved to the hot tub before heading in for the night. All but Jake went in as he decided to dip in the pool real quick. He dove in and seized up, he nearly clawed his way to the steps as they found plaster under his nails... but, he didnít make it.

Knowing how to swim is half the battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Chad C; 06-13-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top