Finally starting to make Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally starting to make Progress

Several months ago I decided totry and change my shooting style from "Instictive" (I know there is no such thing according to some) to an actual repeatable aiming process and shot sequence. It was rough going in the beginning and very hard not to purposely and inadvertently revert back to my normal method. But After several half hearted and failed attempts I completely changed everything.

Went from split finger no glove, to 3 under with a tab (Thanks RickBarbee), changed my anchor point from my pointer finger touching my canine tooth to pointer finger between my cheek bone and my right nostril and the nock touching the point of my cheek bone directly under my right eye.

With the higher nock anchor it has placed the arrow to where I can look straight down the shaft at the target. This made "putting the point on the target" make way more sense, as shooting with my original anchor point made it impossible to look down the arrow and only confused me as to what everyone was talking about.

I changed to a longer heavier arrow but a lighter point weight. went to standard inserts and 175 grain tips instead of the 100 grain inserts and 300 grain points I was shooting. Flattened out the trajectory substantially and gave me an approximate 9" hold under at anything under 22 yds and a point on at 30yds.

Went from a touch and go type of shooting sequence to a solid anchor and 2 count after settling the point where I want it.

All these changes showed to be making improvements in my accuracy while shooting at the house, but it has always been easy to get accuracy at a known distance on a familiar target in my back yard. Finally put it to the test last night and saw a marked difference in my shooting at the local 3D course. I shot a 174 on a 20 target course with targets ranging from 11 yds out to 23.

I have to say I hated the process and started to give up on it several times because breaking 7 yrs worth of good and bad habits was not enjoyable, but after last nights results I must say this aiming thing kinda doesn't suck.

Sounds like a lot of work but if it takes you to the point where your confidence in every shot is there then all the effort, sweat and struggle is worth it.
    Hope it pays off for you in the blind.
    Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      Sounds like a lot of work but if it takes you to the point where your confidence in every shot is there then all the effort, sweat and struggle is worth it.

Gary
      Yep It wasn't like I shot horrible the other way but I got tired of having those days when something was "OFF" and my groups looked like the 6yr old boyscout troop at Camp Kickapoo and nothing I did ever seemed to fix it. Having a system seems to at least give me areas to check if my groups start getting sporadic.

Comment

Good job! It is frustrating but in the long run it makes sense. I was shooting ok last year but then I took Tom Clum's course and it threw me off for a couple months and I was getting frustrated. But now I am improving and it is becoming more natural to do certain things.

Comment

Doing what comes naturally feels good, doing things right feels good, getting from what comes natural to doing things right SUUUCCCCKS

Comment

Yeah I have no clue what that means buy okay.[emoji53][emoji2]

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              Yeah I have no clue what that means buy okay.[emoji53][emoji2]

Gary
              A lot of trad "advice" boils down to "grip it and rip it" which feels natural and might give you decent results but really learning proper mechanics and doing things the "right way" is like a lightbulb going off once things click but getting to that point once you've learned the wrong way is pretty miserable.

Comment

Yeah I think that's why they call it the suck.

Gary

Comment

That's awesome. Those changes are hard to make and it sounds like its working good for you now. By the way how is the "Barney" bow coming along.

Comment

I have been shooting a longbow since I was 6 years old....almost 50 years...and I still suck. Haha. I have killed many animals, too many to count but being consistent has always been a struggle for me.

Comment

consistency is really what im looking for. I hope to achieve better success soon

Comment

Originally posted by Horn chaser View Post
                        That's awesome. Those changes are hard to make and it sounds like its working good for you now. By the way how is the "Barney" bow coming along.
                        Its glued up and the tips glued on. about to start the fun part as soon as I get a day off.

Comment

Dang it Zack! I had just about got the thought of changing my shooting style out of my head and you go and post this. I think I'll wait until season is over then give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Todd View Post
                            Dang it Zack! I had just about got the thought of changing my shooting style out of my head and you go and post this. I think I'll wait until season is over then give it a try.
                            Ahh you know me. I like to make things difficult. We are still far away enough from Oct. that I am certain to have another melt down and totally revamp everything from my form to my arrow build and start over again.....

Nothing is simple around my place.

Comment

Glad to see its working out for you. I've been shooting a bow the same way for 60 years. I'm too old to change now.

Comment

Working...
                              X