Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rant about a late contractor

Well we had some storm damage, not enough to be covered by insurance
    So we hired a independent stone mason, ( rant) every day we ask when are you coming tomorrow because we need to open a security gate and bring in the security guard dogs and keep them locked up under control, Saturday he didn’t show up at all , Sunday said he would start 9am sharp ( showed up at 11:15 ) Monday he said he needed to start early
    730am ,( shows up at 945am ) no calls to say anything, just shows up when ever he wants, hopefully today is last day , we have more work lined up with him
    But after he completely finish this part I think I am done. Really bent out of shape about my time being high jacked, is this normal for construction guys to
    Just not keep appointments

Would you let this guy go?
    P.S Friday he lost his paycheck ( needing me to return to town to cancel the check)
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-15-2019, 09:40 AM.

If today is his last day, I would let him finish instead of trying to find another contractor to finish his work. After hes done today, he would be gone. My time is too valuable to wait around on somebody like that.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
      If today is his last day, I would let him finish instead of trying to find another contractor to finish his work. After hes done today, he would be gone. My time is too valuable to wait around on somebody like that.
      That is my plan , I just dreading him bugging us for more work ( he seems clueless about the problems)

Comment

Depends...on quality of work and pricing. However, not keeping appointments is no good. Is he a hustler spread thin, a drinker, or a family man with alot of anklebiters? Hustlers get some slack. Drinkers get no slack. Family man gets alot of slack.

Many contractors will heehaw when the pay is low on a job and theyve got bigger pay outs coming. Ive seen homebuilders in the county get blown off for housewifey jobs in West Lake. Housewifey in West Lake pays better and faster than homebuilder trying to pinch pennies and is at least 30 days out to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
          That is my plan , I just dreading him bugging us for more work ( he seems clueless about the problems)

He won’t be clueless when you explain it to him. In my experience, with stupid people, it’s helpful to remind them often.[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bienvenidos de construction.

Comment

Did you tell him what you told us?

Comment

I kept detail records on my time they wasted and attempted to do a charge back. It didn't work, but I could tell it stressed them pretty good over it, which was well worth the price of admission, IMO.

Comment

Contractors follow the 80/20 rule. Most of them are terrible, some of them are great and get as much business as they want.

Comment

Keep it simple and seem grateful for his help even though its been a pain in the ***. You never know when you might need him again for something terrible and impossible to get done by other contractors. I wrote a guy off in 2008 for being an idiot but I kept it all business. Turns out last year he needed some welding work really bad and I had just the spot for him haha. He wasn't pleased about it, but took the job.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      He won’t be clueless when you explain it to him. In my experience, with stupid people, it’s helpful to remind them often.[emoji6]

My boss always told me, someone should not be surprised, when they get fired.

Comment

Keep record of time when he was supposed to b there and when he showed up. Subtract that different from the pay. Don't need to have your time wasted.

Comment

Just tell him your problems with. It's very disrespectful. It was very hard to break my guys from doing it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Parramore View Post
                            Keep it simple and seem grateful for his help even though its been a pain in the ***. You never know when you might need him again for something terrible and impossible to get done by other contractors. I wrote a guy off in 2008 for being an idiot but I kept it all business. Turns out last year he needed some welding work really bad and I had just the spot for him haha. He wasn't pleased about it, but took the job.

I prefer the “scorched earth” approach.[emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                              Depends...on quality of work and pricing. However, not keeping appointments is no good. Is he a hustler spread thin, a drinker, or a family man with alot of anklebiters? Hustlers get some slack. Drinkers get no slack. Family man gets alot of slack.

Many contractors will heehaw when the pay is low on a job and theyve got bigger pay outs coming. Ive seen homebuilders in the county get blown off for housewifey jobs in West Lake. Housewifey in West Lake pays better and faster than homebuilder trying to pinch pennies and is at least 30 days out to pay.
                              He is a hustler, but some what replaceable, it’s summer and does have some family issues ( like needing to shuffle a kid sister around)
                              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-15-2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X