Tuff decision to make.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuff decision to make.

Employment wise that is. Been working at a place almost seven years but most work is travel now. When I travel I make good money but away from the wife and kiddo. I have been wanting to get into aerospace for a few years and finally have a company that wants me. The good is it's a new industry and higher hourly pay by couple dollars. The bad no to little over time. I'm the sole provider for my family so I'm having a hard time trying to get what I want to do figured out. Sucks when theres good and bad to both.

Changing employment is always a tough decision. But I found many years ago being home with the family is #1. Even if it means a slight reduction in income. If you can swing it.

Comment

In 20 years, would you rather still be married to your wife and have kids that love and respect you or a lot of stuff and fat bank account? It isn't always possible to have both. I suspect you know what you should do. Do that.

Comment

I know the feeling. I put my notice in this morning at a company that I thought I would retire from. I like where I am at, so the decision was hard and stressful.

Comment

Family time. You’ll adjust to the financial difference at first, and will probably eventually make it back up anyways.

Comment

family first and although you need good finances dont fool yourself.

Comment

I agree with what everyone has said above. Also, if it is a field you really want to be in, the chances of doing well and moving up should be higher.

Comment

if there’s opportunity to make more money at the new company a few years down the road I wouldn’t hesitate.

Comment

I left a job of 18 years to go to Aerospace just about the time all the layoffs at JSC started. luckily I made it through all those and now things are starting to look up in the aerospace industry. I haven't worked overtime in 15 years and don't miss a second of it.

Comment

I left a good job that I had planned to retire from. Took a small pay cut and left a pension. 2 years later I’m making more and have way more time with my family. Put family first within financial perspective and it will all work out.

Comment

Everytime I changed jobs it was always better

Comment

I agree with the comments about more time with family. I will also add, never ever rely upon overtime to pay your regular monthly bills. That’s a good way to live paycheck to paycheck and above your means.

Comment

You’ll never get family time back. You can figure out how to make extra money. This may be the break into aerospace you’ve been waiting for. I say go for it.

Comment

Thanks for the insights folks.

Comment

I personally pay the price working on the road so my family has everything they need. Sucks sometimes but that's my job.....provide for my family. Never thought twice about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X