Buying new truck, Frustrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying new truck, Frustrating

Looking at getting a new truck. Frustrating that you can not buy the truck for the price advertised on line. Not even close. Had one dealership tell me that it is impossible to buy for the advertised price because it includes all incentives. Example, $3000 incentive if you lease the truck and $1500 if you finance through GM, can't do both. But he has to price it like that to compete with the next dealership. Closest I came is $55500 on an advertise price of $51153.

Walk

Comment

That's how the big stores do it.....everytime!!!!

Comment

Don’t show new truck fever!!!! Walk in calmly look around REFUSE a test drive, ask questions the leave your number. The sales manager will call in a day or two and ask what it will take to get you to buy. I did this and got more for my trade more off the MSRP and 0 percent financing with the same incentive that would have been if I had taken the 4.5 percent financing. Remember you have all the cards, you are the one with the money just take your time and you’ll get a great deal

Comment

I have bought the last 3 for internet price or better. Just keep haggling. Don't step foot in a dealership until you have a deal online. Use the dealerships against each other on quotes.

If you are a USAA or Costco member they have car buying services that will make a deal for you.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
            Walk

This...………

The truck I have now was advertised online for $35.1k.....They started to say something about they couldn't give me what I wanted tradein AND give me the truck for that price. I told them that they were 2 separate entities, one isn't tied to the other. We were $500 from an agreement, I thanked them for their time and stuck my hand out to shake theirs. The sales manager asked if I was gonna walk out over $500. I told him "Yep, are you gonna LET me walk out over $500?"...………..walked out 15 minutes later and got into my new truck for the advertised price.

Comment

I am a usaa member and use them for financing and car buying service, always get our price and 100% satisfied

Comment

I think it depends on the area/market as well. We were buying 2 vehicles for our boys and it took a pretty good while for someone to take us serious. It was frustrating for sure. We found several vehicles that the oldest one wanted and there was nothing outside of this is the price. I told them I was writing a check for it and and left my price and I did not get a single call back from a dealer that I worked in that manner. I did get call backs after 3-4 weeks wanting to know if I was still interested in purchasing. I know my transaction did not involve financing so I am sure that played into the deal as well.

I do agree that you shouldn't step foot in a dealership without a deal confirmed. We wasted a lot of time and that bothers me that a dealer doesn't value a person's time.

Comment

I'm the first to admit I am not a great haggler. Most people I meet like to believe they are the best. I'm not. When I buy my trucks I do the internet thing. I "build" my truck and send it out to area dealerships to bid on it. I then select which one I want to go with, order it and wait.

I then let them make me an offer on my old truck. If I don't like it, I go to the next guy. This is where I am sure I could optimize the process. I'm lazy and don't try hard enough to find more buyers.

Comment

I've gotten mine for the advertised price and once got an F150 even lower than the already great online price. I was ready to buy but wife kept after them and they lowered it. Got my F250 at Holiday ford for a great advertised price. Both were year end models so sure that helped

Comment

I've used the Car Pro VIP program twice now, and have been 100% satisfied with it.

Our mission is to provide you the information you need to make the best decision possible on the vehicle you purchase and get the most exceptional experience buying it.

Comment

Called 4 different dealerships all over USA. Retired, can fly out buy and drive back to save a few Ks. Told them I will give them the asking price but want to confirm before buying a plane ticket. Non would sell it to me.

Comment

Just check the car pro web site. Those prices look more realistic. Check out how cheap Carguro or Autonation prices on a 2500hd Duramaxs. If only you could buy for advertised price is my point. And it should be a crime not to honor the price.

Comment

I would not buy a thing from anyone who goes to changing price

Probably lie about everything else associated with the deal

Comment

Do all the hard work through calls and texts. It helps to know what you want and start calling dealerships all over the area. I recently bought a new F150 and called 5 dealerships in the Dallas area and even called a few in Houston. Tell the out of town dealers you don’t mind making the drive but they have to make it worth your time aka provide the best price possible. One Houston dealer ended up being the lowest by far. Their online advertised price was already lower than the other dealers and they offered me lower than the online price. I ended up using the Houston price to get the local dealers down. 3 of the 5 local dealers said no way they can sell it for that price and the other 2 matched it. Ended up buying from one of the local dealers and did all negotiating through the phone.

They will all try to get you into the dealership before discussing pricing but stand strong that you’ll only go in if/when the price is right. Say you already know these trucks very well and know exactly what you want and no reason to test drive.

Once you have the price of the new truck worked out, then start negotiating the value of the trade in with each of the dealers willing to match the price of the new truck.

It only takes about a 2-3 day period to work everything.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X