No announcement yet.

The Fulshear Project - our barndominium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kevin, I hope we can find a piece of property in Bell County so we can do almost exactly what you have done, but if we do, I hope my wife and I can come look at your place and really see this place up close and personal. I am putting something like this on the top of my bucket list and looking seriously at property as we speak, but it is hard to find anything smaller than 10 acres that is not high as hell or in an HOA or subdivision in the areas we are looking at!

Comment

Wow! You have skills! Awesome job!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

That's really nice. Great job!

Comment

Lots of skills!! Looks superb!!

Comment

I bet there is a deep satisfaction knowing you built that yourself. And knowing everything about it was done correctly. Congrats on getting it 99.9% done!

Comment

Kevin , amazing job brother .

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                  Doug, on all the concrete, we cut costs by getting the contractor to give us a labor only quote. I picked up the rebar and ordered the concrete, and paid for it. When the contractor does it, they put a pretty hefty mark-up on the materials for that short term "loan". I had a geotech report done, and an engineer friend of mine did the slab design. Then, before they could lay the rebar, it rained, and washed out the beams ... so they're even bigger than the original design.

I love this idea. Do you think the contractor marked up the labor knowing that he wasn’t going to make the materials mark-up?
                  Probably saved you 20-30% mark-up of material cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                    I love this idea. Do you think the contractor marked up the labor knowing that he wasn’t going to make the materials mark-up?
                    Probably saved you 20-30% mark-up of material cost

Even if he did, I still saved money.
                    I'd have to dig through all the receipts to get the exact numbers, but I can tell you that my total costs were about half of the turn key quotes that I got.

Keep in mind, that this was a mom n pop contractor. Not all concrete contractors will do labor only.

Sent from my SM-A600AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Even if he did, I still saved money.
                      I'd have to dig through all the receipts to get the exact numbers, but I can tell you that my total costs were about half of the turn key quotes that I got.

Keep in mind, that this was a mom n pop contractor. Not all concrete contractors will do labor only.

Sent from my SM-A600AZ using Tapatalk

Half price! Then I really like this idea!

Comment

This is the first time I have seen this thread and I have to tell you I AM IMPRESSED! You guys did a phenomenal job. Love it!!

Comment

This is incredible! It looks great; amazing job sir!

Comment

Just now seeing this Kevin. You and Tina, and Konnor, did an outstanding job!

Comment

I sure am impressed. Even when I was young enough to do something like that I would never have had the patience to succeed. Great job and congratulations.

Comment

great idea

I can NOT do sheet rock, so we opted for nickle gap siding on all the ceilings and walls. Of course, I'm not going to pay for straight up nickle gap boards, so I ripped and routered 3/8" plywood, to mimic nickle gap. 160+ sheets, to be exact.
                                good morning, I am starting the process of a barndo and I am just down the road from you in Sealy. I wanted to get more info if you don't mind.
                                I wanted to know if you added anything behind the plywood or did you just attach direct to studs? and are you happy long term with the application method?

Also what did you insulate with on the ceiling that is the underside of the metal building roof?

Any wisdom that you could offer would be great. This is my first (and last) new house build and I want to get it right, but not breaking the bank.
                                Thank you in advance.

Comment

Working...
                                X