Pork shoulder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork shoulder?

At what temp did y'all wrap your pork shoulder?

I dont. 225 till internal temp of 195. I dont wrap my briskets either. Same cooking temp to 203 internal. Wrapping softenes the bark too much for my liking. Id rather extend the cook time.

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Comment

I wrap around 170-180, pull at 205. I cook at 250-275.

Comment

I don't. Cook between 225 and 250 until it reaches 195, then start probing like I do on my briskets.

Comment

Ive had it on for about 5 hrs at 250-275, it was almost 10lbs before I trimmed it up some. I'm at 175° internal right now.

Comment

If it plateaus and you cant get it to an internal temp of 205*F, then you can wrap it to help it along. Otherwise, I do not wrap.

Comment

You have another 3-5 hrs if the ones ive done are any indicator (every one is different). You are in the stall. Eventually it will start to climb again. Wrapping gets you through the stall quicker, but ruins the bark (the best part). I start mine about 9-10 pm planning on eating them around lunch!

Comment

All depends what you’re going for, I’ve been letting mine go unrapped here lately and have enjoyed the outcome!

Comment

Originally posted by fishingsetx View Post
                  I dont. 225 till internal temp of 195. I dont wrap my briskets either. Same cooking temp to 203 internal. Wrapping softenes the bark too much for my liking. Id rather extend the cook time.
                  x2

Comment

Also, what thermometer are you using to read temp?

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                      I wrap around 170-180, pull at 205. I cook at 250-275.
                      I wrap mine at 180 also but I'm using a electric smoker so it needs all the help in can get. Sometimes in the winter I have to take it out and finish it in the oven inside.

Comment

Originally posted by fishingsetx View Post
                        Also, what thermometer are you using to read temp?

I have a thermpro that I'm using

Comment

Ok, the bimetal thermometers that come on grills arw notoriously inaccurate for both chamber temp and internal temp. Just wanted to be sure you werent using that (mine was 70 degrees off!!!) Here is a good read on the "stall"

Large hunks of barbecued meat have this nasty habit of rising to 150°F inside and then stopping there. But what causes the stall? It's likely not what you think!

Comment

Originally posted by justin81 View Post
                            I wrap mine at 180 also but I'm using a electric smoker so it needs all the help in can get. Sometimes in the winter I have to take it out and finish it in the oven inside.
                            That makes me nervous! Ive used a big stick burner all my life, but picked up a MES 140S sunday (fire box finally cratered on my pit). Been seasoning it for the last 2 days and plan on throwing a pork butt in thursday night for supper friday evening! Hopefully its up to the task!

Comment

Just got to 200, gonna pull it and let it rest in the oven for a hour

Comment

Working...
                              X