Christmas break hog trapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The family is out for the Christmas break so we went to the deer lease and set the hog trap yesterday.

We went out this morning to find two piggies in the trap! One small boar and a pregnant sow.

Good family fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

may be a stupid question but does the trap work by breaking the string in that picture?

Comment

Good stuff!!

Comment

Originally posted by TXBowhunter11 View Post
        may be a stupid question but does the trap work by breaking the string in that picture?

Not a dumb question. It’s a trip wire. I pour most of the corn near the string so the pigs have to touch it. The door shuts behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
          Not a dumb question. It’s a trip wire. I pour most of the corn near the string so the pigs have to touch it. The door shuts behind them.

I may have to steal that, just any normal string will work? about how high do you put it?

Comment

Originally posted by TXBowhunter11 View Post
            I may have to steal that, just any normal string will work? about how high do you put it?
            I use string that I had left over from making some jug lines. I figure parachute would work too.

The gate side is about knee high. The tag end is tied to a small green stick that I put between one of the lowest squares. The pig bumps it, the gate shuts.

Comment

Well done, and now it looks like you've got the family hooked too!

Comment

Great work. looks like christmas dinner right there!

i have not gotten them to push their way into my funnel trap yet although i have heard some have luck with that. my next strategy was to rig a simple trip wire.

Comment

great congrats

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                    Great work. looks like christmas dinner right there!

i have not gotten them to push their way into my funnel trap yet although i have heard some have luck with that. my next strategy was to rig a simple trip wire.

It really works well. I put most of the corn as shown in the photo so they have to come in and hit the wire to get to the corn.

Comment

Good job.

Question in the above photo, is the opening wide enough for them to walk in, or are they pushing into the trap? I am assuming that this is in the set position? I have been wanting to make one these real bad but still am having a hard time understating the mechanics of it.

Comment

I have a trap designed pretty close to this one and I use 50lb fishing line as my trip wire. It's a little harder for animals to see. I'm not sure it matters, but the fishing line works.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                          I use string that I had left over from making some jug lines. I figure parachute would work too.

The gate side is about knee high. The tag end is tied to a small green stick that I put between one of the lowest squares. The pig bumps it, the gate shuts.

can you post more pics of the trap and how big/how many panels were used?

Comment

I used 3 cattle panels. When it’s set, The opening is just wide enough for a hog to walk into the trap. The swing/trap end of the entrance is about half the length of one panel. I was afraid it would be too narrow, But they don’t seem to mind if you put something in there they really want to eat. I used scented corn and some beet juice attractant that I picked up from Walmart at the end of last season.

I’ll get more photos tomorrow.

Comment

Here is mine. I could have probably found trees like yours and saved the sweat putting up tee posts!

Comment

Working...
                              X