No announcement yet.

The effect of cattle on deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a Brahma bull that walked me to stand.(Wasn't even my bull he just liked me I guess).and milled around within sight so he could walk me back to truck...Never seemed to hurt my hunt...

another time and place

One of the best buck I ever saw stayed with a bunch of cows..on my uncles place...never could get a clear enough shot to shoot...and I knew if I killed a cow My Uncle would Kill Me....

Comment

On 19 acres, unless you need to do it for financial reasons, don't run cows or cut hay, as least if deer management is a priority. Do the Wildlife tax valuation instead. Even 1 cow will have negative consequences to the habitat and available nutrition to deer. And all a hay field will do replace native habitat with unusable, invasive grass species. The wildlife tax valuation will give you the exact same tax break and allow you to better manage the habitat.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
        On 19 acres, unless you need to do it for financial reasons, don't run cows or cut hay, as least if deer management is a priority. Do the Wildlife tax valuation instead. Even 1 cow will have negative consequences to the habitat and available nutrition to deer. And all a hay field will do replace native habitat with unusable, invasive grass species. The wildlife tax valuation will give you the exact same tax break and allow you to better manage the habitat.

I wouldn’t say deer management is a priority but i would like to see deer on my property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It will first and foremost be my residence.. so yes i do have to have it for financial purposes. I just want to go about using the method that will allow me to hunt deer that may use my property. I will fence every food source for sure.

Comment

Talk to me about wildlife exemption, looked into just heard the documentation is a pain .

Comment

The only pain on wildlife exemption is filling out the paperwork every year. It takes me about 30 minutes to do for 3 properties. Is your property already under Ag or 1D1 exemption?

Comment

It is being cut from a bigger place that is already ag. I will do ag at least this year and look to transition if i decide to. I read the rules and couldn’t really tell if i was mandated to do ag for a year or not. Just figured that would be the easiest.

Comment

If you property was alread Ag exempt, the you can file the paperwork and keep it exempt. You for sure want to do that! Now what type of Ag exemption is something that needs some thought. Very likely you won't qualify for Wildlife exemption (just one of the many types of ag exemptions. Each county is different, but pretty much all have some minimum acreage is needed to qualify for wildlife exemption. You can indeed go for cattle exemption, but you can also opt for hay production. I currently have my property under ag exemption for cattle production and I lease the grazing rights to a guy who runs his cattle on my pasture. I also have some property with the timber production exemption... That may also be an option for you if it is mostly wooded OR if you decide you want to plant trees and grow timber... another very viable option. You may also qualify to have bees (hives/honey production) on your property... many counties have maximum acreage for the bee production... All this to say, you have several options... not knowing your detail situation from what I can gleen from your posts, sounds like hay or timber would be good options for you. My plan is to switch from cattle to hay when my current agreement is up with the cattle guy... I hate cattle with a passion. His cattle are not a real problem but having to open/close gates, avoid cow patties and such is just annoying... well that and the guy was supposed to take efforts to control weeds and tallow, but has done very little to control anything...

Good luck!

Comment

Here in Texas our deer will not hang around if cows are present but will come back when cows move on in Nebraska where I hunt you will not see a deer if cows are in the pasture and I’m not talking small pastures either it’s crazy

Comment

Go visit or call your county appraisal office, they are your best source for the answers you need.

Comment

I’m fairly certain of my options at this point, just wanted to prod around here for what yal thought my best option l was for seeing deer as well. I can’t option putting 4 or 5 head of cattle out there would chase off all the deer. I’ll prob give that a shot

Comment

Imagine not option

Comment

However i don’t have enough experience to know

Comment

Not a problem they set different things as long as the place is not overstocked

Comment

My place (230 acres in Hardeman) the hunting is pretty good when cows are not there not so much when he puts the cows on the place. The neighboring properties don’t have many, so the deer will move to there preferred property

Comment

Working...
                                X