Axis vitals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis vitals

I can google it, but any personal experience on preferred shot placement on a big Axis buck?

I have a very generous friend that's giving me a shot (if he shows up) at a big buck this weekend. This is a guy that will shrug off bucks I'd consider big as "nothing special" so when he texted me and asked if I wanted a real wall hanger, I got a bit excited.

It's going to be a fairly long shot (for me). 250-300 based on where the herd is coming through and where a shot can be had. Going to use my 7mag and was thinking just your typical "behind the shoulder".

Any reason to alter that plan? It's a big piece of property, so it's not really a problem if it runs.

Pull the shot forward just a touch, as their vitals sit a little further forward

Comment

Right through the shoulder, not behind it.

Comment

Like said above square in the shoulder.

Comment

I’d put it middle of his shoulder and take out the ball joints so he’ll be drt. I’ve shot a couple where the neck and shoulder meet as well and never had one run off. If you’re comfortable with that shot as well. But take his running gears out and drop him!

Comment

Great, thanks for the responses.

Texas heart shot it is!

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
              Great, thanks for the responses.

Texas heart shot it is!
              Ha! I think you might be confused on what a Texas heart shot is.

Shoot him right through the shoulders. I tell whitetail hunters the same thing.

Comment

Square in the shoulder. 300 yards is cake for that 7 mag. May consider practicing some at that distance if you aren't used to shooting at animals at that distance.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                  Square in the shoulder. 300 yards is cake for that 7 mag. May consider practicing some at that distance if you aren't used to shooting at animals at that distance.
                  Absolutely. I've shot it out that far, but at Nilgai and pigs, not deer.

I've got a range out at my place I'm going to go 2 inches high at 100 and then take a few shots out 250 or so.

Comment

Oh the irony of "BitBackShot" asking for shot placement advice Like Ron White says... "Right above the eye"

Good luck, man. Looking forward to LDPs!

Comment

I only started hunting in college and like the first 5 deer I shot were all center-punched. It was like a mental block where I just couldn't bring myself to shoot them forward. My idea of where their lungs were just wasn't where their lungs really were.

You can imagine my excitement when I finally shouldered one and it didn't smell like absolute diarrhea while I was cleaning it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                        Like said above square in the shoulder.
                        This.....take out the running gear!!!

Comment

The diaphragm in an axis lines up pretty close to the back edge of the shoulder. So if you shoot behind the shoulder, you'll be in the guts. Like others said, shoot forward. Through the shoulder is great. I like to aim at the front crease, where the neck comes out of the shoulder. I like that spot for all animals, actually. It's a DRT button. It works like a well-placed neck shot, but it's the size of the shoulder and it doesn't wiggle around like a neck.

Comment

Working...
                          X