Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to fight anxiety

How to Fight Anxiety

[Cast] all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7)

Psalm 56:3 says, “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”

Notice: it does not say, “I never struggle with fear.” Fear strikes, and the battle begins. So the Bible does not assume that true believers will have no anxieties. Instead the Bible tells us how to fight when they strike.

For example, 1 Peter 5:7 says, “[Cast] all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.” It does not say, you will never feel any anxieties. It says, when you have them, cast them on God. When the mud splatters your windshield and you temporarily lose sight of the road and start to swerve in anxiety, turn on your wipers and squirt your windshield washer.

So my response to the person who has to deal with feelings of anxiety every day is to say: that’s more or less normal. At least it is for me, ever since my teenage years. The issue is: How do we fight them?

The answer to that question is: we fight anxieties by fighting against unbelief and fighting for faith in future grace. And the way you fight this “good fight” (1 Timothy 6:12; 2 Timothy 4:7) is by meditating on God’s assurances of future grace and by asking for the help of his Spirit.

The windshield wipers are the promises of God that clear away the mud of unbelief, and the windshield washer fluid is the help of the Holy Spirit. The battle to be freed from sin — including the sin of anxiety — is fought “by the Spirit and belief in the truth” (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

The work of the Spirit and the word of truth. These are the great faith-builders. Without the softening work of the Holy Spirit, the wipers of the word just scrape over the blinding clumps of unbelief on the windshield.

Both are necessary: the Spirit and the word. We read the promises of God and we pray for the help of his Spirit. And as the windshield clears so that we can see the welfare that God plans for us (Jeremiah 29:11), our faith grows stronger and the swerving of anxiety straightens out.
    Solid Joy Ministries

Amen Bill, He is my Rock!

Comment

One of our pastors has struggled with anxiety and preached on it this Sunday. It was an awesome message just as yours is Bro. Bill! Watch if you get a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bro. Bill View Post
        How to Fight Anxiety

[Cast] all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7)

Psalm 56:3 says, “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”

Notice: it does not say, “I never struggle with fear.” Fear strikes, and the battle begins. So the Bible does not assume that true believers will have no anxieties. Instead the Bible tells us how to fight when they strike.

For example, 1 Peter 5:7 says, “[Cast] all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.” It does not say, you will never feel any anxieties. It says, when you have them, cast them on God. When the mud splatters your windshield and you temporarily lose sight of the road and start to swerve in anxiety, turn on your wipers and squirt your windshield washer.

So my response to the person who has to deal with feelings of anxiety every day is to say: that’s more or less normal. At least it is for me, ever since my teenage years. The issue is: How do we fight them?

The answer to that question is: we fight anxieties by fighting against unbelief and fighting for faith in future grace. And the way you fight this “good fight” (1 Timothy 6:12; 2 Timothy 4:7) is by meditating on God’s assurances of future grace and by asking for the help of his Spirit.

The windshield wipers are the promises of God that clear away the mud of unbelief, and the windshield washer fluid is the help of the Holy Spirit. The battle to be freed from sin — including the sin of anxiety — is fought “by the Spirit and belief in the truth” (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

The work of the Spirit and the word of truth. These are the great faith-builders. Without the softening work of the Holy Spirit, the wipers of the word just scrape over the blinding clumps of unbelief on the windshield.

Both are necessary: the Spirit and the word. We read the promises of God and we pray for the help of his Spirit. And as the windshield clears so that we can see the welfare that God plans for us (Jeremiah 29:11), our faith grows stronger and the swerving of anxiety straightens out.
        Solid Joy Ministries
        Excellent!

Comment

Amen, great one and thanks

Comment

Jesus shed his blood as a sacrifice for our sins, iniquities , healing, and our peace.

In the garden, he sweated great drops of blood as he suffered the most intense anxiety attack ever for us. The "Chastisment of our peace was upon Him". The Prince off Peace

We will surely be attacked by anxiety. its important to remember that He conquered that as well. thanks Bro Bill

Comment

amen

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  Jesus shed his blood as a sacrifice for our sins, iniquities , healing, and our peace.

In the garden, he sweated great drops of blood as he suffered the most intense anxiety attack ever for us. The "Chastisment of our peace was upon Him". The Prince off Peace

We will surely be attacked by anxiety. its important to remember that He conquered that as well. thanks Bro Bill
                  Well said

Comment

Thanks Bro Bill, 100% correct GarGuy.
                    Amen!

Comment

never in my life has anxiety been an issue until last yr. it hit me hard, extremely hard. I'm still working.to get it under control but it has gotten alot better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you, I really needed to hear and see this. God bless you!

Comment

So anxiety is a sin? Maybe I’m seeing that wrong, or my interpretation is off. Brother Bill, can you elaborate on this? I have anxiety that requires medication. Without my medicine there have been days where I struggle to even get out of bed without throwing up.

Comment

Originally posted by shea.mcphail View Post
                            So anxiety is a sin? Maybe I’m seeing that wrong, or my interpretation is off. Brother Bill, can you elaborate on this? I have anxiety that requires medication. Without my medicine there have been days where I struggle to even get out of bed without throwing up.
                            No sir anxiety is not a sin..
                            there are a few in the Bible who fought anxiety..
                            And there are thousands that have chemical imbalances
                            And need meds to help

Comment

The best advice I ever received on the subject outside Bible passages is

Let your mind think the anxiety through to the worst. Supposedly the anxiety is created because your mind keeps trying to block the completed scenerio.

Comment

Working...
                              X