School me on Baseball Bats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on Baseball Bats

Okay guys my oldest son is a freshman in high school and he (don't ask me why) chose to play Baseball, he has never played baseball before so I have a lot to learn. They're doing a fall team and he has to supply his own bat because it's not part of the school's program. I know what size bat he needs but I'm confused as to what bat to buy because they range anywhere from $100-$400... What is the difference in a $100 bat versus a $400 bat? seeing as to it's his first year and I don't know if he will even play again next year do I need to really buy him a $400 bat? Does the bat make the player?
    Thoughts on getting a used bat?

I really don't want to spend $400 unless I really need to.

I would prepare for information overload....

Then I would wait for Glen to respond and do what he says.

Comment

drop 3 BBcor...like a 31/28....Louisville Slugger will make a good bad in the 150 price range....

Comment

Until his ability to hit the difference is there he won’t see a difference... to justify the money anyway. Always a good market for used top end bats too. So you can get a $3-400 bat for $150-200

A freshman can’t hit the difference

Comment

$100 bat is aluminum, $400 bat is composite

look for an 2018 model, the new bats will always be more expensive and they run deals on the previous years. You can get him a nice bat for half or what the new ones cost.

was $450, now $299
          The CF Zen BBCOR Bat for 2018 is crafted with 100% Paraflex Composite material, giving you 22% stronger material for a more precise weight distribution and increased performance. The 3Fusion Handle is a new streamlined design of the barrel-to-handle connection, which eliminates sting/vibration from being felt in the hands while also allowing for greater weight control and feel. The 3Fusion End Cap is going to optimize the barrel, increasing the overall potency and pop from the sweet spot. The CF Zen is made with a Balanced Swing Weight, giving you faster swing speed and improved bat control while going through the hitting zone. Get your CF Zen BBCOR Bat today, right here at CheapBats.com! No Hassle Returns, Batisfaction Guaranteed!

just an example
          Last edited by OrangeBlood; 09-19-2018, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Just make sure it meets the new bat regulations that went into place this year. That makes it a little more difficult to find a used bat

Comment

send heath on here a PM. he is a bat rep I believe. He can hook you up. As a coach , I would not suggest dropping a ton of money at first. He may decide its not for him, or he may be so far behind, he will have a hard time catching up. Baseball is not an easy sport to start at that age.

Comment

Okay now I'm worried I may be looking for the wrong size.... He is 5' 11" and 153lbs I have him down as needing a 33" bat is that correct?

Comment

Go to Justbats.com and you can put in your sons’s height and weight and they’ll give you suggestions on size

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyBee View Post
                    Okay now I'm worried I may be looking for the wrong size.... He is 5' 11" and 153lbs I have him down as needing a 33" bat is that correct?
                    I was 6' 1 and 210 lbs in college and used a 33" bat, sometimes a 34" but technology has changed so much in the last 30 years he will probably be OK with a 33. DO NOT go out and drop over $200 on a bat. Just make sure the one you get meets all the specs on barrel diameter and weight differential. There are a lot of options and they are all about the same. If he sticks with it and becomes a pretty good ball player, then look at putting money in to some better quality bats

Comment

Just my opinion but at that height and weight, for a beginner, 33" s too big. I'd go 32" max and more likely 31" for a freshman that size who has never played before. The bigger the bat, the harder to get it around. My 6'2" senior is hitting mostly with a 33", sometimes a 34" bat and he has played baseball all his life.

And do NOT spend $400 on a bat! I can check around the shop and see if I have any of the 5000 bats we have bought Andrew that meets HS regs laying around that he doesn't use anymore if you want. I wouldn't hold my breath, but maybe since we just bought him a new one a couple months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyBee View Post
                        With no experience that is way too much bat unless he has freakish strength for his age. He will need the most barrel control he can get while he is learning to hit. 32/29 max but I would probably start him off with a 31/28.

All high school bats are drop 3 (3 ounces lighter than length, 33/30, 32/29, 31/28 and need to have BBCOR certification stamped on them). This is the only certification you should worry about. All of the other stuff folks post about certification has to do with various youth leauges that did not effect high school.

You definitely want a balanced bat, not end loaded. Look at the Rawlings Velo, Louisville Slugger Solo or Marrucci Cat 7. All one pics aluminum bats that are extremely balanced which equals lighter swing feel. These are all quality bats that won't break the bank.

None of these have changed much in the past 3 years except the paint scheme. Don't be afraid of buying new old stock off eBay. Dealers will use eBay to blow off old stock or to hit volume necessary to maintain their dealer status.

Here is a new 2017 Velo, $100 cheaper than a new 2019 and is the exact same bat with a different paint scheme.

Brand new Solo under $200 shipped.

Comment

But last years model off internet. Try Roy’s

Comment

I have a used 32" he can have, my son just got a new one last year

Comment

Has bat technology changed that much in the last 10 years? I still have a few -3’s from college that were top of the line at that time. I would think your son would be better off with a 32” as a beginner at his age but it really depends on him. I started using a 33” bat around 12 years old but I know others that used a 32” as college players.

Comment

Working...
                              X