Trump to announce his USSC nominee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerp View Post
    Solid choice! I have followed his career on the DC court of appeals and read a few of his opinions. He is a no nonsense originalist. He will get dogpiled and about abortion because he is catholic. The only abortion ruling he commented on that I know of was in a dissenting opinion where he argued that the majority had created - out of thin air - a right for an illegal immigrant to get a government funded abortion

His wife is from Abilene. She's well-respected by some friends of mine that know her (I don't know her).

Comment

What did he do on the Obamacare case? I heard rumblings earlier in the day about that.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        Wow, and I mean just wow. Google Kavanaugh and already they have crap lined up saying how bad of a person he is. First google line said he ruled against a young undocumented womans right to an abortion.

Liberals belong in Hades.
        I went though 3 pages of google search results and never found anything stating he is a bad person or Judge. Maybe google tailors the results you get based on your search history.

As far as his ruling regarding an illegal's right to an immediate abortion, that is his most recent important opinion. That should be fair game. However, he didn't opine against her because she was illegal or because she wanted and abortion, his opinion was that the government didn't have a duty to facilitate an abortion on behalf of an individual in custody. Thats a fair point. He wrote that if an abortion were desired, the Trump administration could not be compelled to facilitate it and that it would be more appropriate that should be released to a guardian that would take her to have the abortion.

Ultimately, the majority of the court did not agree with him but his opinion wasn't controversial in anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
          What did he do on the Obamacare case? I heard rumblings earlier in the day about that.
          There are some people who think that his opinion formed the basis for Roberts opinion upholding the constitutionality of the ACA.

Its bull****. If you are a conservative you are happy with this pick.

If you are a liberal you are not happy, but realize it could have been much worse.

If you are fringe right or left you believe this pick is a sign of the end times.

Comment

2 people that worked/clerked under Trump's pick are now clerking under Sotomeyor and Kagan. Solid pick.

I would be willing to bet that if Trump picked Obama, the Dems would still be against him because Trump picked him, (they would think he had brainwashed Obama). No matter who Trump picked the left was going to revolt!

Comment

Originally posted by 17ncs View Post
              Wife is from West Texas.

Maybe Barrett is next up if there is another vacancy.

I hope so!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                2 people that worked/clerked under Trump's pick are now clerking under Sotomeyor and Kagan. Solid pick.

I would be willing to bet that if Trump picked Obama, the Dems would still be against him because Trump picked him, (they would think he had brainwashed Obama). No matter who Trump picked the left was going to revolt!
                And he used to clerk under Kennedy. He's the only one of the 4 finalists that makes me nervous. Hopefully he won't be another Kennedy. At least he won't be another Ginsberg though.

Comment

I have a feeling he will not be as conservative as the others. Worst of the 4 imo. Still good,but not the best.

Comment

I agree dukfvr & Heard he clerked under Kennedy...the left is about to alienate the centrists even further with the circus starting tomorrow. I doubt they have any clue to the continued self destruction. They should be grateful really of the 4.

Cannot state how ecstatic it is to not be on the left side of this coin...the thought of clinton making these appointments makes me cringe!! It's a good day.

I'm sure the opposition has the drizzles.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post
                      There are some people who think that his opinion formed the basis for Roberts opinion upholding the constitutionality of the ACA.

Its bull****. If you are a conservative you are happy with this pick.

If you are a liberal you are not happy, but realize it could have been much worse.

If you are fringe right or left you believe this pick is a sign of the end times.
                      Just to add on to this...I'm a moderate and at first glance am pretty pleased with the pick. Seems like the big view is that he is big on precedent and big on the Constitution. He also doesn't believe courts should make laws based on the judges politics...exactly as a SCOTUS judge should be.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 17ncs View Post
                        Nobody’s perfect
                        since my money goes to my son's a&m tuition that made me laugh.

Comment

Always interesting to see the rhetoric...

Comment

Best thing about this pick....it wasn't Hillary's! #LiberalTears

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              And he used to clerk under Kennedy. He's the only one of the 4 finalists that makes me nervous. Hopefully he won't be another Kennedy. At least he won't be another Ginsberg though.
                              Yeah, wasn't he the fore runner on calling the ACA penalty a "tax"?

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
                                I am ****** at myself for ever voting for McCain....

Was a big mistake
                                But you didn't vote for McCain. You voted for Sarah Palin. Come on and admit it

I know I did

Comment

Working...
                                X