No announcement yet.

Just stuck my biggest bow buck, but worried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, i know and feel your pain, i lost a nice chocolate horned 9pt during bow season. I believe my shot was too far back. I was 20' in a tree, deer was 26 yds quartering away pretty hard. Had excellent blood for 40 yds and then just stopped. Called in some dogs and they followed scent up to 3/4 of a mile before they lost scent. I paid $100 to have the guy show up. Would have been another $100 if we recovered the deer. But at $400, I'd chalk that deer up to a loss and keep hunting. It happens to the best of us. It sucks yes, but keep hunting.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Comment

One need only look at TBH to see how much people like shooting dogs. A deer and dog can get on to a neighboring property in a matter of seconds. Sometimes the dog can be caught or called off but not reliably. Landowner and neighboring hunters must be notified and permission obtained for the safety of the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
        Spoke to 4 trackers and they didn't want to take the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Dang! That's no good.

Comment

Sorry for your luck brother.
          Sometimes the Game Wardens are ready to help out in these situations. They hate to see loss of game animals and have rights to go wherever needed.
          For the guys that don't understand these costs, you just have to put yourself in the trackers shoes.
          Time and fuel equals money.
          When I lived in S. Texas. (Zapata)
          I had a 6K dog that I provided deer finder services with. Its a business in that area and when a customer pulls the trigger on a 10K deer and cant find it, a 100 dollar load fee and 300 bucks at time of recovery is a deal.
          But its not a deal that the tracker has no money in. Lots of costs In these dogs, a whole lot of time and energy in maintaining them and keeping there training up.
          Then there is the risk of them getting gored or on to hogs that cut them up or just straight up losing a dog.
          I had 700 bucks in a GPS collar and often traveled more than 100 miles round trip. Many of them inside ranches at 15-20 MPH of rough country that tore up equipment.
          So from this side of the PC. I completely understand there point.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
            One need only look at TBH to see how much people like shooting dogs. A deer and dog can get on to a neighboring property in a matter of seconds. Sometimes the dog can be caught or called off but not reliably. Landowner and neighboring hunters must be notified and permission obtained for the safety of the dog.
            Yep. I'm 100% for tracking them with dogs but I can say if I saw a dog run through our place following deer, I'd think it was up to no good as we have had wild dog issues and I'd likely shoot it. I would feel horrible killing a blood dog but if it happens fast I can see a mistake possibly happening.

Comment

Man, I feel your pain. I lost second largest buck of my life this past Wednesday. Shot was high blood dried up. Sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Gutierrez View Post
                Sorry for your luck brother.

Sometimes the Game Wardens are ready to help out in these situations. They hate to see loss of game animals and have rights to go wherever needed.

For the guys that don't understand these costs, you just have to put yourself in the trackers shoes.

Time and fuel equals money.

When I lived in S. Texas. (Zapata)

I had a 6K dog that I provided deer finder services with. Its a business in that area and when a customer pulls the trigger on a 10K deer and cant find it, a 100 dollar load fee and 300 bucks at time of recovery is a deal.

But its not a deal that the tracker has no money in. Lots of costs In these dogs, a whole lot of time and energy in maintaining them and keeping there training up.

Then there is the risk of them getting gored or on to hogs that cut them up or just straight up losing a dog.

I had 700 bucks in a GPS collar and often traveled more than 100 miles round trip. Many of them inside ranches at 15-20 MPH of rough country that tore up equipment.

So from this side of the PC. I completely understand there point.

No doubt. I train retrievers so I understand the costs. Just for me personally I couldn't spend the $ they charge, nothing against them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                  You from New York?!

No sir, maybe my family just shoots better than all yall

Comment

Which is a felony, law states you must have dog owners permission to shoot a dog. You cannot obtain permission from a stray dogs owner.

Comment

Hope ol boy shows up

Comment

200 acres? Very doubtful ANY dog guy (or dog girl) will come to that. They would likely be off the place and onto the neighbor in less than a minute. Especially with that kind of sign. I'm not 100% sure that's even lung blood. I've seen a lot of tracks with blood like that, that were brisket shot. I really hope you get lucky and find him tomorrow. Good luck man.

And y'all don't be too quick to judge the dog guys for not taking the call. Without permission from the neighbors, and from the neighbor's neighbors, their hands are really tied.

Comment

I'm guessing the deer was a no show tonight. Could be a good sign that he's down. Don't give up on getting permission and have a dog come out in the morning if that's a possibility. If not the buzzards should point you to him mid morning. Good luck with the recovery!

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                            200 acres? Very doubtful ANY dog guy (or dog girl) will come to that. They would likely be off the place and onto the neighbor in less than a minute. Especially with that kind of sign. I'm not 100% sure that's even lung blood.
                            Agree...this deer was shot in the rear leg!

Click image for larger version

Name:	blood.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	24477682

Comment

Maybe I missed it but is there water nearby to check for him? Hope you find him

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                                200 acres? Very doubtful ANY dog guy (or dog girl) will come to that. They would likely be off the place and onto the neighbor in less than a minute. Especially with that kind of sign. I'm not 100% sure that's even lung blood. I've seen a lot of tracks with blood like that, that were brisket shot. I really hope you get lucky and find him tomorrow. Good luck man.

And y'all don't be too quick to judge the dog guys for not taking the call. Without permission from the neighbors, and from the neighbor's neighbors, their hands are really tied.

Yeah there are only a couple things I know for sure. I know the shot was not in the brisket (100%) positive. Only thing I can think of is that I pulled the shot just enough to get into the shoulder and possibly connected with the scapula or something else that stopped the arrow from penetrating any further. No sign of him this evening so I will go sit in the morning and then grid search again for a few hours. I tracked today's search path with my GPS so tomorrow I'll take up where I left off and keep going

Comment

Working...
                                X