No announcement yet.

Just stuck my biggest bow buck, but worried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would keep trying to find a dog. I was on my 5th person before I found one that was available. The property line is a big issue.

I would try Marlo (LacyLady) on here. She couldn't help but had a list of people. She referred me to Justin Deorsam and he found my deer with worse blood than your pics. His number is 830-279-9704. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      So you didn't try to find another dog?

Spoke to 4 trackers and they didn't want to take the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post

That's pretty **** crappy.

Comment

That sucks because everything i think i know about shot deer says a dog would recover that deer right now.

Seems if the boundary was the issue,, they would just work on a leash.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            That's pretty **** crappy.
            I ran into the same thing and for most of them the deal killer was not having permission to cross a fence. Every person I called asked low fence and if so how far to the boundary. Luckily I got permission to cross the fence prior to the dog getting there and it wasn't an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
              I've heard of using dogs to hunt but never knew people used them to track wounded deer until about 5 years ago. I grew up hunting with my family all over the hill country and east texas and never heard of a deer tracking dog. we just all got together and looked, and looked, and looked, cant remember ever not finding a deer. we never bow hunted either, which might make a difference.

You from New York?!

Comment

After reading all of this it makes me want to find out who my neighbors are and initiate some kind of contact with them just in case something like this happens to myself or one of my hunting partners. Anybody have a good web source for doing a map search using an appraisal district (San Saba County)?

Don't give up canny. With that kind of blood loss (bubbly) it sure looks like he may not make it through the night. The fact that he slowed up and walked makes me think liver hit. If that's the case he will possibly seek water. You might try hitting some nearby water sources after dark with a good light and see if he's holed up there somewhere. Good luck. We are all pulling for you.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                  I've heard of using dogs to hunt but never knew people used them to track wounded deer until about 5 years ago. I grew up hunting with my family all over the hill country and east texas and never heard of a deer tracking dog. we just all got together and looked, and looked, and looked, cant remember ever not finding a deer. we never bow hunted either, which might make a difference.

Same here minus the east Texas part. The only tracking dogs I heard of up until 5 years ago was for big money deer shot in high fence ranches. They sound like a lot of fun which might be why they are so popular, the one thing that has been consistent amongst folks with tracking dogs is that they would climb down out of a tree in a heart beat to trail a deer for a stranger.

Comment

We've all lost bucks and know how it feels, but for nobody to even take your money to give it a shot...good grief that's a tough pill to swallow.

Got my fingers crossed Canny, I think you killed that buck.
                    Still hoping for a happy ending.

Comment

How big is your place?

Comment

Just stuck my biggest bow buck, but worried

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                        How big is your place?

200 acres. 500 yds to nearest fence from last blood. I can understand where they are coming from. A couple of them said they would come, but were skeptical about the situation. For a $400 fee I'm not paying for someone to come out if they think it's skeptical. Plus I don't have $400 on me.

Comment

Hope you find it. How much do these trackers normally charge?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BJ DUPLECHAIN View Post
                            Hope you find it. How much do these trackers normally charge?

It varies greatly. Some track for mileage and tips, some charge X to show up and more on recovery and then some of the bigger names have a flat fee that can be pretty high.

Comment

Originally posted by bj duplechain View Post
                              hope you find it. How much do these trackers normally charge?

Sent from my sm-g930v using tapatalk
                              $400
                              a one lung deer can go miles

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                                X