Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-01-2019, 06:24 AM   #1
Duckologist
Eight Point

Default Home Warranty??????

So I bought a house last August and had seller purchase me a home warranty. My AC is leaking coolant. Had a tech out yesterday had to put 3lbs in. Says it usually the A coil leaking. It's an older 13 seer unit. My question is, has anyone ever used their home warranty? Did they fight you ever step of the way or were they pretty decent to deal with?
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 06:27 AM   #2
chunkinlead
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills Co., Garza Co.

We just used ours for a new pump on the well. It wasnít to hard just have to call the warranty company and they send someone for you. You canít use your own guy to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chunkinlead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 06:34 AM   #3
SHSU18
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brady, Tx

I called mine the other day, i ended up canceling it cause i fixed the issue myself. It was pretty easy, i called and they were going to send someone.
SHSU18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 06:35 AM   #4
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

We've used it, had to pay a $75 deductable and they sent someone out to fix it. No hassle
twistedmidnite is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 06:37 AM   #5
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Warranty people will do a yth8ng they can to bandage problem. And when they have to do work, most likely will only cover the physical part and no labor, that’s out of your pocket.
bbqfan5909 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 07:16 AM   #6
Kelmat
Four Point

Hunt In: Shelby county

I used to do residential work. We were involved with a home warranty company. They would bandaid everything, would not pay much for repairs. We finally stopped doing work for them because we refused to "up sale" the customer to give them a better solution.
Kelmat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 07:19 AM   #7
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Depends on who it’s with. My parents have American home shield and have been really happy with them. We had Choice and they were absolutely useless and it was a fight to get anything fixed
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #8
67olds442
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

Mine just expired and I had fidelity. Only had to use it once for a capacitor on my ac unit.
67olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 07:28 AM   #9
Bruiser
Ten Point

they are jokes
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #10
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
they are jokes
Completely disagree with this. I had over $1,500 worth of work done in the first year and only paid $150, which was a $75 charge each time. It is well worth it. I wouldnít buy a home without it.
TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 07:41 AM   #11
Ryanm
Four Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches, Michigan

I had almost the same exact situation as you. My coil froze up from the low coolant levels after 10 months at out house. The guys the warranty company called took 3 days to come out to tell me the coil was bad. They ended up covering $700 of a $2500 repair. It's because they don't cover the freon and disposal charges under the plan... I tried fighting it, but it was going nowhere.

I ended up replacing the whole unit with another company and asked them to send me a check for $700, which they did.

The original company they sent tried up selling me to switch my two units over to one big unit and it would solve all my problems.. Told me it would cut my electric bill in half...which makes no sense at all.. but it was ONLY $13k to complete the job. What a deal.
Ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 07:46 AM   #12
JWalker08
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason, FBG, CO, SD

I have American Home shield. I had some electrical work done, water heater replaced, disposal replaced stove fixed all with no issue. They have sent someone out every summer the “fix” my AC and it has always been just a bandaid. Several walls were ruined which caused me to file on my insurance before they ever replaced any major components. Even though I’ve been back and fourth with them year after year for AC issues I still consider them worth it with all the other things that have been fixed or repaired.
JWalker08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #13
jdavidson
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb Co

No reputable AC contractor will work with Home Warranty companies.
What they send to your house will a company that has no clientele...
a company with poorly qualified technicians...
and a company that will follow the warranty companies direction of ď patch patch patch ď
jdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 08:05 AM   #14
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

One of our clients just recently used their home warranty. There was an A/C problem a month after buying their new home. Warranty company got the problem resolved in a timely manner and all is good.
Question is, would you drive off the car lot in a new car without insurance? Why would you buy a home with a home warranty?

DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #15
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

My main unit was 11 years old and the compressor went out. The warranty company covered the cost for a new compressor and it's installation but they don't cover freon. It was like $800 for just the freon. It's better then having to pay for both. No hassle, call them and they send out a company they have a contract with. Was there the next day.
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #16
jb5001
Six Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co, Anywhere I can

We had one when we bought our house because the seller paid for it. It wasn't worth it to pay for myself as others have said they don't cover everything and just band aid what they do fix and try to up sell you. In the long run, you're better off taking that $500 cost and put it in savings each year for your own emergency fund.
jb5001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #17
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post
Why would you buy a home with a home warranty?
Because providing for yourself through planning is a better financial move.

**wait a second... you pulled the old switcheroo!!!

Last edited by meltingfeather; 05-01-2019 at 09:14 AM.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #18
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post
One of our clients just recently used their home warranty. There was an A/C problem a month after buying their new home. Warranty company got the problem resolved in a timely manner and all is good.
Question is, would you drive off the car lot in a new car without insurance? Why would you buy a home with a home warranty?

This isn't really a valid comparison. Most "home warranties" cover very minor electrical and appliance issues. There's a reason they only cost $400 (and they're making good money on just that). Their scope is extremely limited.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #19
Bruiser
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
Completely disagree with this. I had over $1,500 worth of work done in the first year and only paid $150, which was a $75 charge each time. It is well worth it. I wouldnít buy a home without it.
I completly disagree with your story based on my opinion.
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #20
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene

I use it

If what they do does not fix it then have them back out. Freon is on your dime
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #21
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene

I’ve had 4 a/c capacitors replaced
Refridgerator mother board replaced
Dishwasher repaired
Fan replaced
Small dorm size fridge fixed twice
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 08:33 AM   #22
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock, Runge

Why would an ac tech charge a unit without verifying where the leak is and offering a permanent fix?
It’s like having a flat and just airing it up. Except the air is $100/lb
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #23
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock, Runge

Oh, and I would stay away from home warranties.

If you already have it, why not try to use it? But I personally wouldn’t pay for one. I would rather pay for quality work to be done.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #24
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Open to Offers

I fought with mine for a simple AC fix. I ended up chasing the AC guy out of my house and fixing it myself. He tried to feed me a line of crap about how my coils not being cleaned properly made the Air handler control board go out. He said my coils were 100% block which was total BS.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #25
Duckologist
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
Why would an ac tech charge a unit without verifying where the leak is and offering a permanent fix?
Itís like having a flat and just airing it up. Except the air is $100/lb
It was late yesterday evening. They did offer to verify where the leak is and offer a permanent fix at a time of my choosing.
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 08:40 AM   #26
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

I have lived in my house for 20 years, at 400/year (cheap end), I have not had $8000 worth of repairs that a home warranty would cover. I am way better off saving the cost of that (and all the warranty plans on anything you buy) and paying for those repairs as they happen and use quality providers.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #27
Lawhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
they are jokes
Completely agree with this
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #28
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

I had one with the home I bought 3 yrs ago as it came with it paid by the sellers. I had my garbage disposal go out & they replaced it at a $65 service charge. However, I never renew as they typically will bandaid as mentioned above on more major cost items. I’d rather use my own replicable A/C guy that will work honestly on fixing what needs to be fixed. If you have frigerant leaking & it’s time for replacement then I’d be afraid they’ll use an installer that will be less than stellar and I’d be willing to bet they’ll want you to go the cheaper “swap out” method of changing out A-coil & compressor system. Going this route you typically will not have a manufacturer warranty & could end up costing you more down the road. I personally don’t think they are worth the $400-$500 per year cost
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #29
dmk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nowhere

We used ours for the A/C unit. Saved about $5K, but took 3 weeks or so. Just make sure the A/C guy documents age and all, they will probably replace. Not bad this time of year, but it was August for us, still worth the wait to me.
dmk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #30
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
You sell home warranties, don't you?
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #31
ClearcreekDC
Four Point

Hunt In: Denton County

Im a realtor and all the companies are terrible IMO. They all try to get out of the work and the MAIN thing that always gets nasty is a leaking coil scenario. They will cover the coil but they wont cover the labor or the freon which is 90 percent of the bill. Id rather have on then not have one but they are close to worthless IMO
ClearcreekDC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #32
TX Outlaw
Ten Point

As most have stated they will bandaid everything. Seller paid for it when we bought the house .
TX Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #33
CEO
Pope & Young

I look at warranty's like insurance. As long as you pay and don't ask for anything you'll have a good experience.

I had to pay $5k to replace my AC unit last year but I used who I wanted, got what I wanted, and it was done the next day.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 09:40 AM   #34
Cullbuck
Four Point

Hunt In: setx

Mine was pretty painless had the same problem called the home warranty number they sent someone out they put frion in it, didnt fix it so they replaced the a coil second time out for 75 bucks.
Cullbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #35
Raider Power
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I get invited

I had my compressor go out on my AC unit last summer. American home shield did fix it but it was an uphill battle..but they did repair it. Left me without air conditioning for about three weeks though.
Raider Power is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #36
Hooverfb
Ten Point

I was going to use mine the other day for a fridge,but I kind of wanted a new fridge anyways. Well we looked at the reviews of the guy they were gonna send out and it was abysmal. They were examples of having yo wait like 3 weeks for parts and not knowing what they're talking about etc. Sounded like classic example of someone living high on the home warranty contracts.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #37
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
You sell home warranties, don't you?
Haha sure donít. Just know it was painless and easy for me, and it saved me a bunch of money. I also see others had different experiences. To each their own, but it sure worked out for me!
TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 10:30 AM   #38
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

I’ve used it twice on two different homes for the A/C. Both homes got brand new units and I paid $120 each time. $60 for a tech to diagnose, and $60 for the install. No hassles, no hidden costs, no lines of bs. I’ve heard horror stories but I haven’t experienced any.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 11:10 AM   #39
Jtrisler
Six Point

Hunt In: Harrisonburg, La and Brown County, Illinois

We sold our house and bought another last September. As a "thank you", our realtor bought us a $500 home warranty through Old Republic. Shortly after moving in the AC up stairs stopped blowing cold so we called and the warranty people send someone and he made the necessary repairs (checked for leaks, added freon, change capacitor) for $100 fee. Our oven was an older downdraft style and we knew when we bought the house we would have to replace it. We called the Old Republic and they sent out a service guy that we paid the $100 fee. He said he could no longer get parts for that particular stove and would the warranty company know. Two days later they emailed with two options.....1. They would buy us a particular downdraft stove for $3200 and have someone install it or.....2. They would send us a check for $2700 and we could buy a stove ourselves and install it.

We got the check and did away with the downdraft and bought a oven for $1200, a new vent hood for $500 and me and a buddy did the install. We used the rest of the money to make updates to the house.

Very happy with the Old Republic warranty and will renew when it comes time in September. A coworker also uses them and has had two hot water heaters replaced by them with no questions asked.
Jtrisler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #40
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
Iíve used it twice on two different homes for the A/C. Both homes got brand new units and I paid $120 each time. $60 for a tech to diagnose, and $60 for the install. No hassles, no hidden costs, no lines of bs. Iíve heard horror stories but I havenít experienced any.
What company do you use?
Txhuntr2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #41
jlopez
Four Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico & Carlos TX

We used Landmark Home Warranty and would not recommend them. They sent out technicians who did not know what they were doing and wanted to charge additional fees for test they knew the Warranty company would not cover and charge double. They replaced a furnace and did not cover the installation modifications which cost me $900 out of pocket. The modifications where to hook up the gas, put it on concrete blocks and a second person to put it in the attack. They took 3 weeks to get the issue resolved.
jlopez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 11:48 AM   #42
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

We had AHS that came with our last house. I used once for a plumber and had no issues. Great service. Never used it since then but purchased a new home that came with manufacturer warranty.

Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 12:06 PM   #43
Freer
Six Point

Hunt In: Freer, Webb County

I bought a new house last year and had the seller pay for a home warranty. I picked a $600.00 plan through Complete protection home warranty. 0 (zero) deductible. I had a A/C issue so i called them up, they told me to pay to have it fixed and they would send a Check for reimbursement. I instantly though i was going to get hosed and end up not getting a refund check. So, i go through the process. I have the Tech come out, one of the stipulations of the reimbursement was that the warranty company had to speak to the tech on the phone. The problem was a bad capacitor, $460. I paid the tech and submitted my request for reimbursement. Got a check in the mail about 3 weeks later for the full $460. I would recommend using this company but i did not renew my contract. The $600 plan is limited to 1 of each appliance, like 1 A/C, 1 hot water heater, one stove. My home has 2 of most things and the cost to cover additional a/c, water heater, oven increased the plan drastically.
Freer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #44
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land
Default Depends

We've had good experiences with 1st American Home Warranty and abysmal experience with Select Home Warranty.
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 02:01 PM   #45
toledo
Eight Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease

That's normal. Home warranty's are mostly junk. Realtors push them because it insulates themselves from you pointing the finger at them when something like an AC craps the bed. The better option would have been for the seller to just credit you the amount of the home warranty but too late now.
toledo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 02:27 PM   #46
doublearrow
Ten Point

Tried to use my home warranty 2 times. They fought me every step of the way and i eneded up having to pay another plumber to fix both issues.
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #47
wes
Eight Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe County

we had fidelity home warranty. I have used them to have the outside condenser replaced and the pool filter. Both times it was not a quick process. Granted the AC took longer but we had just bought the house and they tried to claim it was bad when we purchased. Luckily the home inspection took care of that. It still took 2-3 weeks to get fixed. We were still living in our previous home at the time so it didn't matter to me. On the pool filter it took about a week. Typically the process is call in a claim, they will call you back in 24hours. After that they will dispatch a tech which takes another 24 hours... and so on. Also I have never been giving the option of them writing me a check and being able to choose a different option on the replacement.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #48
alec73065
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction & Lampasas

We have Fidelity Home warranty and have had them for 3 years , first year paid by the seller and 2 years by me. I have had nothing but great experiences with them so far , I have a local reputable company come out every time I use them. Renewals are $700 year. You pay a $75 claim fee each time you call them out. I will renew for another year since I think I will have to replace both drain fields at some point but I estimate I have saved about $11 K with having it over not. To replace both drain fields was quoted at $7 K , I have already asked the warranty company what my cost will be and was told $75. Here is what I have had them do in 2.5 years

-Pump Septic my cost $75 - without warranty actual cost $325
-Replace grease clogged septic lines from house to tank my cost $75 - without warranty actual cost $800
-Flush both septic fields my cost $75 - without warranty actual cost $1700
- 2017 Add refrigerant to 21 Yr old ac my cost $75 - without warranty actual cost $1100 , they also cleaned condenser outside on both units in same trip
- 2018 Replace 21 yr old heat pump system entirely my cost $445 - without warranty actual cost $9400
alec73065 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #49
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavidson View Post
No reputable AC contractor will work with Home Warranty companies.
What they send to your house will a company that has no clientele...
a company with poorly qualified technicians...
and a company that will follow the warranty companies direction of ď patch patch patch ď

This is what my opinion is, A lot of guys starting a business will work for them to get money coming in. It is hard for the contractor to make money, as they are on the phone with the warranty co as it takes to do the work.
I have worked for several customers with warranties, but I charged my rates, and let them collect from the warranty co.
If you research, you wont find any large company that has been in business for a long time that does their work. Not enough money to keep them interested. So, don't expect top line technicians on the job.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 05:56 PM   #50
Dr. Evil
Ten Point

Have had American Home Shield for 20+ years. Wouldn’t be without it. Paid for itself several times over.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top