Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-10-2020, 03:27 PM   #1
bigharge
Eight Point

Default Utah Any Bull Units - Youth Season

Kind of a long shot but curious if anyone on here has been fortunate to hunt any of the general any bull units in Utah. My son drew the youth tag in September and we are a month from leaving now and I still havenít nailed down where we will be hunting exactly. Figured it couldnít hurt to reach out and see if anyone has any input to add for us as I realize itís not a very easy hunt. Appreciate your time

Brandon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigharge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2020, 06:51 PM   #2
Clintk
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Tx

No info but good luck on your hunt with your son
Clintk is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #3
Charrison
Six Point

Hunt In: Callahan County

Hi Brandon-
Myself and 3 other guys went last year to the OTC general rifle season and hunted the south slope of the High Uintas Wilderness for 5 days. We packed in several miles and hunted near Heller Lake. Magnificent country!
There were several bulls killed in our area on opening day but the elk all headed south to the Indian reservation after Day 1. Saw a lot of places elk had recently been but those animals knew the drill and we didn't see an elk shot after day 1.
It wasn't ridiculously crowded where we were but we did see other hunters- most of the locals hunted a bit farther south of the wilderness areas in the transition areas (ie: escape routes) to the reservation.
You might have less pressured animals in the early youth season.
PM me if want any real specifics- happy to share info and send pics! It was a great camping trip for a 1-day elk hunt but we enjoyed it immensely. Time spent with your son is the worth the trip alone.
Charrison is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Maybe pop in over on Monster Muleys
Lots of Utah info over there.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2020, 09:43 AM   #5
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Check out hunttalk. They usually have really helpful western hunting info.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2020, 11:37 AM   #6
bigharge
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrison View Post
Hi Brandon-
Myself and 3 other guys went last year to the OTC general rifle season and hunted the south slope of the High Uintas Wilderness for 5 days. We packed in several miles and hunted near Heller Lake. Magnificent country!
There were several bulls killed in our area on opening day but the elk all headed south to the Indian reservation after Day 1. Saw a lot of places elk had recently been but those animals knew the drill and we didn't see an elk shot after day 1.
It wasn't ridiculously crowded where we were but we did see other hunters- most of the locals hunted a bit farther south of the wilderness areas in the transition areas (ie: escape routes) to the reservation.
PM me if want any real specifics- happy to share info and send pics! It was a great camping trip for a 1-day elk hunt but we enjoyed it immensely. Time spent with your son is the worth the trip alone.

Appreciate the insight. That helps a lot as Iím trying to narrow down a few areas and drainages that I have been scouting online. Might be weather depending but was curious how much the archery pressure pushed the elk towards the Rez. Sounds like there will still be a few that havenít hit the escape route yet until bullets start flying. I have a couple areas pinpointed that could be escape routes south if we canít find them higher up the mountain. Finding elk usually isnít a problem but finding elk my 12 year old can hike to will be a challenge.

And yes the adventure in itself will be worth the trip, thanks again

Old 08-23-2020, 06:19 PM   #7
Caden 54
Spike

Hope y’all have an amazing trip
Caden 54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2020, 04:17 PM   #8
bigharge
Eight Point

Thanks getting all of our stuff packed and ready to hopefully leave Thursday and drive straight through.

Old 09-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #9
bigharge
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrison View Post
Hi Brandon-

Pm sent

Old 09-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #10
1riot1ranger
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigharge View Post
Thanks getting all of our stuff packed and ready to hopefully leave Thursday and drive straight through.

Talked to my son yesterday. He lives north of Salt Lake City and has been hiking in for archery season in places within an hour of where he lives. He's had a bull and a couple of cows come in close enough for a rifle shot but not for a bow yet. He did shoot a grouse yesterday with bow. At least that was a lot easier to pack out.
1riot1ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2020, 05:26 PM   #11
bigharge
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
Talked to my son yesterday. He lives north of Salt Lake City and has been hiking in for archery season in places within an hour of where he lives. He's had a bull and a couple of cows come in close enough for a rifle shot but not for a bow yet. He did shoot a grouse yesterday with bow. At least that was a lot easier to pack out.

Love those grouse. Jealous, someday I want to be an hour away from my house and be in elk, lol

Old 09-10-2020, 02:42 PM   #12
Charrison
Six Point

Hunt In: Callahan County

PM returned.
Charrison is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #13
bigharge
Eight Point

Well we finally made it happen. Not the bull he had dreamed up on the drive up but something we are both extremely blessed to have harvested. Hunting was hot and tough in our area. Had a blast though and where we ended up shooting this guy required max effort for this 12 year olds legs. Was extremely proud of him and the effort he gave these last 4 days. And as he told me when we walked up to him, I think we just killed the tastiest elk on the mountain, lol. Thank you Utah for a trip we will always remember!