Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-19-2019, 02:46 PM   #151
MNK
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Cristoval

awesome looking place, congratulations! has a lot of character for 70 acres, good buy
MNK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #152
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNK View Post
awesome looking place, congratulations! has a lot of character for 70 acres, good buy
Thank you! It's been an awesome adventure so far!
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #153
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Got my soil sample back and it needs some help. Looks like Iíve got some work to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2019, 02:29 PM   #154
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Default Good Friday Trip to the Ranch!

Well, I made the trip to the ranch on Friday to check cams, fill feeders, and plant the spring plot. I used my new to me atv harrow and it worked for 2-3 circles in the plot area before the top link/leveling arm broke. It was rusted out on the inside. I had some cheap small chain that I had brought to hook to my drag after I planted, so I tried to see if it was strong enough for pulling the plow. It made it about 8 trips around before the chain broke as well. So, I'll be picking up another leveling arm this week and going back on Saturday to finish plowing.

Had a handful of deer hitting the feeders and it looked like 1 of the deer had some antlers starting to grow. That deer had about a 2"-3" antler sticking out on both sides.

Will post some pictures here tonight.

Also, had some people riding horses through on the power line ROW. Not sure what they were doing. I did have some loose horses on my place a couple of months ago so they may have been looking for them. I need to close up the small little gap they came through by the rail road.

All in all, I have a never ending list of things I need to do at the ranch. Good thing I have enjoyed every bit of it!
Old 04-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #155
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Before plowing

I think Iím going to have to plow in one direction then plow the whole thing once more in the opposite direction.

After

And, the broken top link/leveling arm assembly.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:04 PM   #156
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

Keep at it, beautiful place. The first time plowing is tough on equipment but after you bust that ground once it’s twice as easy the next time in the fall.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #157
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
Well, I made the trip to the ranch on Friday to check cams, fill feeders, and plant the spring plot. I used my new to me atv harrow and it worked for 2-3 circles in the plot area before the top link/leveling arm broke. It was rusted out on the inside. I had some cheap small chain that I had brought to hook to my drag after I planted, so I tried to see if it was strong enough for pulling the plow. It made it about 8 trips around before the chain broke as well. So, I'll be picking up another leveling arm this week and going back on Saturday to finish plowing.

Had a handful of deer hitting the feeders and it looked like 1 of the deer had some antlers starting to grow. That deer had about a 2"-3" antler sticking out on both sides.

Will post some pictures here tonight.

Also, had some people riding horses through on the power line ROW. Not sure what they were doing. I did have some loose horses on my place a couple of months ago so they may have been looking for them. I need to close up the small little gap they came through by the rail road.

All in all, I have a never ending list of things I need to do at the ranch. Good thing I have enjoyed every bit of it!

Thanks for the update! Itís all about the journey and the memories we make so enjoy it.

In for how the plots end up.
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #158
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I have had that happen a time or two! Looking forward to the plot results!
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2019, 09:23 PM   #159
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Finally got the plot plowed. Planted the Turner seed spring mix and I screened the plot with Egyptian wheat. Started getting rain right when I pulled out of the gate. Supposed to get a bunch of rain this week too.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:31 PM   #160
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Should work out nicely!
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2019, 10:59 PM   #161
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Looking good! You shouldnít have to worry about the rain. Itís going to pour this week. Nice timing.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:50 AM   #162
Mace
Six Point

Hunt In: Kimble and Ector Counties

congrats on the place.. Keep up the hard work
Mace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 08:56 AM   #163
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Thanks, guys! Yep, looks like it's going to pour this week. Calling for close to 2" tomorrow, 1.5" Wednesday, and another .5" the following two days. Should be perfect timing! I'll post some pics when I get back out there.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:00 AM   #164
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Lookin good brutha!
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 09:22 PM   #165
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
Lookin good brutha!

Thanks, brother! Itís been fun so far!

Old 05-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #166
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Well, we have officially been land owners for 1 full year! It has been a blast! Best feeling pulling into the gate of my own place. Nothing like it!

Hoping to get back out to the ranch in 2-3 weeks to check on plot, and fix some downed fencing.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:01 AM   #167
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Well, it's been a while since I have been to the ranch. Haven't been back up there since I planted back in April. With the wife pregnant and me being in the AC business my time is limited. Planning to get back up there within the next 2 weeks to check on everything. Hoping all looks good and the deer are taking to the food plot. I'll post some pics when I do get up there. Planning to add one more feeder to have a total of 3 running and then plant one 1 acre fall plot and one small .25 acre plot. My wife and I's first baby is due in December, and I'm hunting at the H in November so my hunting season will have to be October and November only.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #168
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Well, I finally made a trip up to my place. It is really grown up and needs to be mowed. Planning another trip up there soon with a customer thatís going to help me mow.

Refilled the feeders and reset the cams. Had two cams running from April until now. Only one had pictures as the other one crapped out for some reason. Only had pictures of 4 does, a fawn, and 1 buck, and that card was full by June. Not sure what else has been coming around since then, but itís all good. Majority of my bucks donít show up until October anyways.

Food plot and Egyptian wheat screen was a bust. Food plot didnít come up and the screen came up really spotty and isnít nearly tall enough yet. May just mow it down and plant something in the fall.

Iím assuming the county came out and redid my driveway into the ranch. Itís definitely been changed. Not sure if it was washed away from the rain and they just came back and put it in place or what.

Creek is full too!

Old 08-26-2019, 08:11 AM   #169
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Made a trip to the ranch this weekend to get prepared for the opener in about a month.

A customer of mine owns some land on the west side of the same county and recently ordered a new tractor for his place. He was nice enough to cut me a steal of a deal on his old tractor and brush hog, and he delivered it! I put it to use this weekend mowing roads and trails.

A buddy and I setup a new feeder in an area where we always see deer crossing. Iím hoping the deer take to the feeder. It seems they have been avoiding some of the other feeders and the coons have taken those feeders over. We hand corned a spot about a month ago and the deer wiped it out. We have 2 new hand corned spots now.

We need to make one more trip in a couple weeks to hang a few stands, put out the pop up blinds, and cut entrance trails.

My place doesnít seem to get much love from the bucks during the summer. I have had 1 young buck and about 5 does that stay on my place all year, and about this time bucks start to roll in. Had a couple new bucks show up within the last 2 weeks. I expect to see about 8-10 more by October.

Of course I was busy working that I forgot to take pictures, but here are of few pics from the hand corn spot where the new feeder is now.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #170
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

This doe has thrown twins every year since I purchased the place.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:16 AM   #171
LiftAndShoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kaufman County

Tagged. This is great stuff. Congrats on the property and well done on the work getting put in.
LiftAndShoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 06:44 PM   #172
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
Tagged. This is great stuff. Congrats on the property and well done on the work getting put in.
Thanks, man! I appreciate it!
Old 08-26-2019, 06:50 PM   #173
Iamhooked
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas,Oklahoma and Kansas

Looking good bud. It's coming all together.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Iamhooked is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 07:04 PM   #174
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamhooked View Post
Looking good bud. It's coming all together.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Thanks, brother! Trying to get deer like you have at your place. You have some nice one's running around!

For some reason I don't have any bucks that summer on my place. Not that it's a bad thing, just a waiting game for the season to come back and the bucks to return.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:48 PM   #175
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Congrats on the tractor and bush hog score! Thatís a great addition to your place. The playbook opens up with a few pieces of equipment. I wouldnít worry too much about the lack of bucks through the summer. As long as you have a good herd of resident does you are good. The cruising bucks will come.

Looking forward to following along this season!
Old 08-26-2019, 09:53 PM   #176
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner Sooner View Post
Congrats on the tractor and bush hog score! Thatís a great addition to your place. The playbook opens up with a few pieces of equipment. I wouldnít worry too much about the lack of bucks through the summer. As long as you have a good herd of resident does you are good. The cruising bucks will come.

Looking forward to following along this season!

Thanks man! For $1200 I couldnít pass it up.

I typically carry about 5 does year around. One doe drops twins every year it seems.

I believe too that my place is the thickest place during the winter with the least amount of pressure. I think thatís another reason why the deer gravitate to me when the leaves drop. Super easy to hide! Canít wait for some cooler temps and the bucks to show up!

Old 08-26-2019, 10:13 PM   #177
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
Made a trip to the ranch this weekend to get prepared for the opener in about a month.

A customer of mine owns some land on the west side of the same county and recently ordered a new tractor for his place. He was nice enough to cut me a steal of a deal on his old tractor and brush hog, and he delivered it! I put it to use this weekend mowing roads and trails.

A buddy and I setup a new feeder in an area where we always see deer crossing. Iím hoping the deer take to the feeder. It seems they have been avoiding some of the other feeders and the coons have taken those feeders over. We hand corned a spot about a month ago and the deer wiped it out. We have 2 new hand corned spots now.

We need to make one more trip in a couple weeks to hang a few stands, put out the pop up blinds, and cut entrance trails.

My place doesnít seem to get much love from the bucks during the summer. I have had 1 young buck and about 5 does that stay on my place all year, and about this time bucks start to roll in. Had a couple new bucks show up within the last 2 weeks. I expect to see about 8-10 more by October.

Of course I was busy working that I forgot to take pictures, but here are of few pics from the hand corn spot where the new feeder is now.

Dude that's a steal on that tractor! Congrats!
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2019, 10:28 PM   #178
ttubudd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Glen Rose, TX, Hico, TX, Eufaula, OK

B, I dont know how I'm just seeing this. Place looks great!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
ttubudd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 07:11 AM   #179
NotJose
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton, TX

Following along. Good luck to you this season!

NotJose is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #180
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

SNB, I know! I couldn't pass it up. I was looking for a brush mower to drag behind my SxS and wasn't finding anything under that price I paid for the tractor.

E, thanks man! I appreciate it! Ready to hit the H up with you here in a couple of months!

NJ, thanks man! You too! Hoping I can get a few hunts in before the baby arrives.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:49 AM   #181
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Made it up to my place on Saturday for some last minute prep before season. Had a feeder that I had put rice bran mixed with corn in and it had got water inside, and the bran caked up and molded. Cleaned it out and moved it to a tree line where the deer are traveling across the power line.

Checked cards and still have about 4-5 does coming through with 3 fawns in the mix. 1 small young spike and 1 tall spike/fork. Patiently waiting for my mature bucks to get into their fall range and show up. They should start rolling in in the next month.

Got a pop up blind setup at the camp feeder, that feeder isnít getting much action from the deer yet. Coons and a big pig are hitting it daily though. Itíll be a perfect spot for the times where Iím running late or donít want to disturb anything on my place.

Also trimmed up some shooting lanes for a tree stand that Iíll place by opening weekend. Itís on the power line and I have mowed some paths in the tall vegetation for the deer to travel down. Also moved my main power line feeder on that same tree line. Had pics in front of that tree of 7 deer using the hand corn there and hoping theyíll continue to hit the feeder now.

Setup 2 mock scrapes and put up cams on both.

Also fixed a spot in the fence around one of my gates for a quick temporary fix. Was having people riding horses walk around that gate and ride around.

Season and cooler weather canít get here soon enough!

Old 09-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #182
gatt40
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Patricio, Mountain Home & wherever

Looks good, congratulations
gatt40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2019, 08:59 PM   #183
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatt40 View Post
Looks good, congratulations

Thank you, sir!

Old 10-06-2019, 09:12 AM   #184
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Had my first sit of the season yesterday. Ended up seeing a doe with her twin yearlings.

Pulled cards and headed back to the truck ended up jumping those same 3 deer by camp on my neighbors place.

Cards revealed that I have about 5 does running around with 3 yearlings, and 2 small bucks. The mature bucks have not arrived yet. Last year I started getting pics of the mature deer these first 3 weeks of October. Iím a bit worried though because my neighbor to the north cleared 90% of his place and Iím hoping that didnít run a lot of deer in the wrong direction. Just gotta keep feeding them and try to give them no reason to leave.

I need to hang more stands and get more pop ups out. Give me some options so I donít put too much pressure on certain spots.

Hung a new stand on the power line and that feeder is getting action daily from about 5-6 deer.